Volvo newbie has questions re upholstery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo newbie has questions re upholstery

Planning to put an order in for MY18 V90CC or XC60 later this summer, when 2018 specs for the CC are out and after driving the XC60.

Local dealer is expecting XC60 demo in August so for now I'm keeping busy researching my order.

I want best ride possible with max tech and safety, as this will probably be my last vehicle purchase.
      To me, best ride means most comfortable.

From upholstery I want heat and ventilation in front. Heat in back seats is ok but not mandatory.

I've been trying to wrap my head around as to what the difference are in Leather, Sport Leather and Inscription Leather. By difference I'm referring to comfort. Kids all grown up so any spills will be my own or my wife's

I drove a CC yesterday but forgot to ask re upholstery in the demo. Was too busy liking the ride

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have touched and sat on Inscription in a V90cc. Is is perforated and super soft. It is almost too nice. I'm afraid I would hurt it.

Are you referring to the Napa leather and standard leather? If so, I went with the standard leather because I feel the Napa is too soft and I feel like it could wear faster because of how soft it is.

Since you want ventilated and heated seats, i believe the perforated napa leather is your only option.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sport Leather is the contour seats. Inscription leather is the comfort seats. They are "molded" differently.

For the 90-series, both are Napa Leather but only Inscription is perforated/ventilated.

In the US market, only comfort seats are available for the V90 Cross Country. They come with either full-grain leather (standard) or perforated Napa leather (Inscription/Luxury Package).

The Inscription trim/Luxury package includes power side bolsters and front extensions. Contour/sport leather seats only include the front extension and have more supportive permanent bolsters.

This is for the US. Canada may be a bit different, but I don't think the contour seats are ever perforated no matter the market.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

In my opinion Volvo seats are the most comfortable in the business. Every time we've drifted off Volvos that is our #1 complaint. So we are done drifting. Have my hand up for an early XC60 OSD order this fall. The reality is I more than likely won't get to see/feel one before its ordered. All of our previous Volvos have had the standard leather (before Inscription days) and the seat comfort has always been great. I believe the sport seats are shaped differently (larger bolsters) but just as comfortable. The Nappa leather may be ultra soft but not sure if that equates to "more" comfort. I do like the drivers leg cushion extension in my Genny so, at the moment, that is high on my list, which means Inscription. I also have ventilated front seats which is great in the hottest part of the summer but the noisy fan annoys me.

You might try looking at the XC90s and compare the momentum and inscription models with the different seats to get a better feel. My local dealer has plenty of each so would be a good comparison. Not sure there are enough V90CCs out there to compare yet. I think the XC60 is going to be a runaway hit.
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 16, 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

As to seats, being an orthopedic nightmare myself, I can attest to the fact that the VOLVO XC70 seats in my 2009 are about the best I ever had. I will be ordering the V90 CC 2018; leather; despite the fact that eventually they do crack despite maintenance, I find them easier to clean etc than the usual upholstery ones.

Thank you all. Have a better picture now. Hope to do some actual touch and feel as dealer has some sampling available in other models.

Because of the XC60's expected popularity I'm hedging my bets and have secured a spot, subject to test drive, but I'm still leaning towards an '18 CC as ,to me, it 'feels' closer to a sedan yet gives good utility.

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      The Nappa leather may be ultra soft but not sure if that equates to "more" comfort.
      My wife and I thought that the luxury package actually made the V90 Cross Country less comfortable despite the softer leather.

There are additional structural members in the seat cushion for the leg extension which firm it up and make it less comfortable unless the cushion is fully extended.

Additionally, the leather on the armrests seemed to be pulled more taut which made them feel firmer.

We decided the full grain leather was more comfortable and more durable, and so I skipped the Luxury Package (which even included ventilated seats and massage seats on our vehicle).

I'd make the same decision for any daily driver. My thought is that if/when Volvo releases a sports car or convertible, that will be the one I go Inscription on. And also with the beautiful but easily dirtied blond interior.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      We decided the full grain leather was more comfortable and more durable, and so I skipped the Luxury Package (which even included ventilated seats and massage seats on our vehicle).
      That is exactly why I went with the standard leather. Plus, I personally do not like the ventilated seats. I dont like the feeling nor do I like having holes in my seat for crap to get into.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I dont like the feeling nor do I like having holes in my seat for crap to get into.
      This is something I was worried about, but with the V60 R-Design it seems the perforations are small enough that most things (fluids included) won't actually travel through the perforation in most circumstances.

That said, I'm sure in your line of work you've seen the cars where things did get through.

So while it's not unlivable by any means, I am still glad to have solid leather in my daily driver.

Planning to do some serious butt-testing when dealer has both available in S90/XC90.
      When we did the search for current ride we encountered similar "problem", when we checked out Lincoln MKX.
      Packages not out yet for XC60 in Canada but at least in the CC I can live without all the other stuffs included in the package.
      An a'la Carte selection would sure make things easier

Did my Butt testing today. S90 with standard leather vs V90CC with Premium.
      Standard leather definitely softer and while I'm ok with either I will enlist wife's help to decide when the time comes to order.

I loved perforated leather. I had a 94 Dodge Caravan ES with perforated leather seats that were just like new after 20 years and 250K miles. The seats weren't as bolstered as my Xc60, but were quite comfortable, even for long road trips. I vote for the more expensive perforated seats.
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD, Ice White/Anthracite Leather, Climate, Platinum, & Technology packages, BLIS, Xenon & Front BV Camera.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements