V90CC is home at last! - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      First (slightly) wet driving experience.

Little bit of rain. Roads were slightly wet.

Last corner before I got to work I took hard.

The car seemed to corner fairly flat, but more importantly almost turn as if it was a much smaller car.

It felt like (brake based) torque vectoring. Not sure if that standard on v90cc or part of P* optimization?

Either way can't wait for the snow in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Corner Traction Control is standard. That's the brake-based torque vectoring.

The SPA cars also have something called Understeer Control Logic. Unlike older DSTC iterations which focus stability control efforts on yaw control (minimizing lateral movement by using the brakes and then cut power drastically to regain control after a skid starts), this system partially cuts throttle as-needed to maintain front wheel traction and reduce unintended understeer which would cause the skid in the first place.

If you enter a turn too fast, you're still going to have a traditional ESC intervention, but if you would instead be killing front traction by using too much throttle once you've entered the turn, the system will try to keep you from pushing beyond the car's handling limits. This will actually make more drivers able to explore closer to a car's limits without losing control, giving the impression the car handles better than it does because a computer is supplementing the driver's individual skill.

This tech's been around for about 15 years, but is going to be more important and prevalent with electric power steering reducing the driver's ability to detect wheel slip early.

Volvo's exact implementation may differ somewhat from my understanding of the tech, as Volvo has left a description of the system out of the owner's manual. So please take my details above with a grain of salt.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post

The SPA cars also have something called Understeer Control Logic. Unlike older DSTC iterations which focus stability control efforts on yaw control (minimizing lateral movement by using the brakes and then cut power drastically to regain control after a skid starts), this system partially cuts throttle as-needed to maintain front wheel traction and reduce unintended understeer which would cause the skid in the first place.

If you enter a turn too fast, you're still going to have a traditional ESC intervention, but if you would instead be killing front traction by using too much throttle once you've entered the turn, the system will try to keep you from pushing beyond the car's handling limits. This will actually make more drivers able to explore closer to a car's limits without losing control, giving the impression the car handles better than it does because a computer is supplementing the driver's individual skill.

This tech's been around for about 15 years, but is going to be more important and prevalent with electric power steering reducing the driver's ability to detect wheel slip early.

Volvo's exact implementation may differ somewhat from my understanding of the tech, as Volvo has left a description of the system out of the owner's manual. So please take my details above with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the info.

Everything was impressive until the last sentence.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail View Post
      The Canadian versions of the XC90 get active radiator shutters but not the US ones.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...light=shutters
      Here's a video review of a US version V90 CC that clearly shows active grille shutters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblWvKTYEYI

Look at the 3:00 mark.

Oh, they're hidden back there. Maybe our cars do have them then.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Oh, they're hidden back there. Maybe our cars do have them then.
      My loaner s90 does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car does not appear to have the shutters, though I do see where they would be mounted as in the video.

Here's a thread about it on the XC90: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...rille-Shutters
      Last edited by matt1122; 05-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.

When I take a SPA car on my favorite offramp, a 270* decreasing radius, downhill loop, you can feel and hear the ABS clicking even though the tires aren't losing grip, I guess that's what it's going. It holds the line very tighly, an XC90 can really dance with this technology.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R
      Former: 1996 Bright Red 855R, 2003 Silver V70 T5, 2012 Black Sapphire C30 T5 R-Design 6MT P*

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      Here's a video review of a US version V90 CC that clearly shows active grille shutters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblWvKTYEYI

Look at the 3:00 mark.
      That's where I remember it from.

Did you happen to drive a V90CC without polestar before you picked yours up? Trying to decide whether to spend the change on polestar or not. Does it live up to the claims?

I was thinking about the active shutters today and they are probably only needed in Northern Canada to prevent icing of the radiator where temperatures get very very low, hence why they're excluded on US models.

Quote Originally Posted by hwitten View Post
      Your seats are the standard leather? No extension?
      I got the luxury package - with perforated leather and extensions.

Buttery soft leather but adjustable side bolsters firm up the seats pretty nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      Did you happen to drive a V90CC without polestar before you picked yours up? Trying to decide whether to spend the change on polestar or not. Does it live up to the claims?
      I did. The demo was a fully loaded dark brown model.

There is a noticeable difference. But it's not like going from a T5 to a T6 or from that to a full Polestar engine.

But the straight hp and torque numbers don't tell the whole story. It's subtle, they played with mid rpm range torque, it's quite a bit more now.

Getting around moving traffic is very easy.

The throttle response time has been shortened - according to the marketing.

I did have one gti owner look confused as I moved past and around him much faster then something this size should be able to move.

Oh yeah - BTW - this IS a big car (to me anyway) but I love the legroom in the car.

Thanks. I just closed a deal on one myself and will probably wait and see on Polestar, but it does sound nice.

So just got a short long weekend trip under my belt.

Went camping in Michigan (about 6 hours out of Chicago)

Car was in a word amazing.

Last year I did the same trip in a Plymouth voyager rental car and pillowy ride made me sick the night I got in.

No such problem w/ my sweet new wagon.

Most surprising thing was how stiff it was going over some road ruts while in dynamic mode.

I did get a long list of audio commands to control settings by voice. Only disappointment is that the driving mode can't be controlled by voice.

But cruising in and out of traffic was so easy. Thanks PO!

The comfort mode was sweet and dampened everything out perfectly without making it feel like a minivan.

I even tried out eco mode. The rpm gauge is completely different. Seems to measure your efficiency driving but could figure out coast mode.

Noticed rear window spray comes down off to one side from the top and not in the center. Sort of cool!

Auto pilot works till about 85 - 87 mph and shuts off with no warning - ?

Definitely reduces fatigue.

I figured out if I keep two fingers looped to the bottom of the steering wheel I can drive quite awhile.

Only issue with autopilot is when someone cuts into the space your following someone by, the car brakes pretty sharply.

But on flowing well behaved traffic auto-pilot is great.

Love the whine of the supercharger when I step on it. Reminds me of watching KITT.

Tons of storage. Tons of grocery hooks I didn't notice on either side of the hatch.

Criticisms:

- wipers aren't that great. Blades don't have a wing profile to help push down the wiper. (Little things matter.) hoping I can get some after market options somewhere.

Everything the driver touches is soft leather (or plastic) but the passenger side of the center console is surprisingly hard plastic. They should have put carpet at least.

Car is bit rough at high speeds but only if I'm accelerating.

Beautiful looking car! What dealership did you use for the purchase? I'm in the Naperville-area and would love to do the Overseas Delivery on a V90 . . . unfortunately, I have a few years before my son is of driving age and we do the "car shuffle" so he would inherit the '16 GSW. I'm looking forward to switching to a V90 after several VW wagons ('11, '14 Jetta Sportwagens & '16 Golf Sportwagen).

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much on the long trip. I've had a few hour long trips so far and it's phenomenal for those, too.

I'm surprised you're having issues with the wipers. Mine are performing perfectly so far. Far better than my V60 wipers performed.

Quote Originally Posted by McSpiffy View Post
      Beautiful looking car! What dealership did you use for the purchase? I'm in the Naperville-area and would love to do the Overseas Delivery on a V90 . . . unfortunately, I have a few years before my son is of driving age and we do the "car shuffle" so he would inherit the '16 GSW. I'm looking forward to switching to a V90 after several VW wagons ('11, '14 Jetta Sportwagens & '16 Golf Sportwagen).
      I got it from north field Volvo. The guy who handles osd is Zoar.

Coming from a xc70/v70R then to a '14 jsw tdi back to a v90cc is quite the journey.

The difference is substantial but then again so is the cost. But the v90cc is on way ahead with e class or a6 in terms of amenities and features especially those that are standard in the base price.

Still annoyed that I had to turn in my jsw - it was a great value I thought for what it offered.

V90CC is home at last!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much on the long trip. I've had a few hour long trips so far and it's phenomenal for those, too.

I'm surprised you're having issues with the wipers. Mine are performing perfectly so far. Far better than my V60 wipers performed.
      Well the blades look so bare no wing like cover or shield.

They are also not very big. The spray is in line with blade not at 90 degrees to the blade as it moves. And only seems to come on the forward stroke. I think this results in less time to settle on the glass and sort of makes the debris harder to clean.

Maybe it's because I had so many bugs on my car.

Also noticed fluid goes up the sides of the front windshield and flows back down drivers side window if I slow down after spraying. They should really fix that.

I love how nit-picky you are. And I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. I'm the same way when it comes to the finest details on any-and-all objects, clothing, tools, and vehicles in my possession

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

V90CC is home at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I love how nit-picky you are. And I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. I'm the same way when it comes to the finest details on any-and-all objects, clothing, tools, and vehicles in my possession

Thanks - please know I've got no doubts in my mind this was the right car at the time I needed a car (6 months from now I would have gone w/ a Panamera sport tourismo e-hybrid).

Only mention the tiniest of details since it might be of interest/help to others.

Last edited by TIV70R; 06-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Has your ride quality changed at all? Or your impression of it?

I'm at around 1500 miles now and the air suspension doesn't seem quite as magical as it originally did. It's still very very good over many things, but some things it doesn't seem to dampen as it once did.

For example, we drove into Newark today and many of the imperfections were rolled over with a gentle roll of the cars body. But a few bumps felt a bit hard (but it didn't hurt my teeth to go over them or anything.)

For the first 400 miles or so I felt virtually nothing. Best I can figure this may just be the front suspension breaking in.

Next time the car's in I'll mention it just to make sure the dampers aren't throwing codes or anything.

Mine's just at 550 miles now, but I don't notice any difference in ride quality from the first miles. Feels just as firm/compliant depending on drive mode selected.

Has your ride quality changed at all? Or your impression of it?

I'm at around 1500 miles now and the air suspension doesn't seem quite as magical as it originally did. It's still very very good over many things, but some things it doesn't seem to dampen as it once did.

For example, we drove into Newark today and many of the imperfections were rolled over with a gentle roll of the cars body. But a few bumps felt a bit hard (but it didn't hurt my teeth to go over them or anything.)

For the first 400 miles or so I felt virtually nothing. Best I can figure this may just be the front suspension breaking in.

Next time the car's in I'll mention it just to make sure the dampers aren't throwing codes or anything.
      The suspension is still very compliant, even my wife noted it.

I do notice a more harshness over some more rough cracks or potholes than in the beginning when in dynamic mode - so much so I quickly switch to comfort.

I also notice it seems to roll over more than in the beginning when I first got it.

It could just be that I'm getting used to the car / or the newness has worn off - ?

Do suspension actually break in? - that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Do suspension actually break in?
      Yes.

Some months ago, the independent Porsche shop that maintains my V50 noticed that the car's left front coil spring was broken clean through. They replaced it and its mate on the right--you don't want to totally unbalance the front end with a brand-new spring on one side and an old one on the other--and they then told me to drive the car for 500 miles or so and then bring it back for a complete alignment check after the springs had, yes, broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by TIV70R View Post
      I do notice a more harshness over some more rough cracks or potholes than in the beginning when in dynamic mode - so much so I quickly switch to comfort.

I also notice it seems to roll over more than in the beginning when I first got it.
      That's exactly what I'm experiencing, though the roll seems to be controlled.

Do suspension actually break in? - that doesn't sound like a good idea.
      Any wear component can more or less break-in, especially one that's constantly fighting gravity. Settling might be a better word.

But it could also be some adaptation/calibration issue with 4C.

Gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by vovo40 View Post
      Gorgeous

Thanks - ?

V90CC is home at last!

So just got internet back after major power outage in my corner of Chicago.

Drove home in horrible rain and through big puddles. The car was VERY confidence inspiring. No swaying due to wind. Wipers did work fine.

Only issues was lane assist and auto drive did not work since - I think - the lane markers could been seen.

Overall even better than I remember my '03 xc70 being. Seriously can not wait for big snow storm.

Chicago roads and weather are why I'm got a v90cc and I'm glad so far!

Last edited by TIV70R; 06-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks - ?

I love that car!

Quote Originally Posted by vovo40 View Post
      I love that car!

+1

V90CC is home at last!

Quick find the other day. Quite possibly the simplest and most intuitive sound adjustment I've ever seen.

Just drag the white center dot around to change front/rear, right/left balance. Amazing!

My only issue seems to be iPhone and apple car play not working all time. Also when connected to car play emails don't see to pull.

Yeah, Car Play doesn't let you access e-mail or do things like post to Facebook with Siri.

The connectivity issues are Apple/phone related, because I had the exact same issues with the iPod connection in my V60.

As for the adjusting balance, I agree that this is a great way to do it. It doesn't seem to dynamically adjust staging like the Sound Experience settings do, though. Just how much volume is going to each speaker.

I've been loving Individual Stage for blues, jazz, and live rock. The Concert Hall setting is amazing for classical music.

Yeah, Car Play doesn't let you access e-mail or do things like post to Facebook with Siri.

The connectivity issues are Apple/phone related, because I had the exact same issues with the iPod connection in my V60.

As for the adjusting balance, I agree that this is a great way to do it. It doesn't seem to dynamically adjust staging like the Sound Experience settings do, though. Just how much volume is going to each speaker.

I've been loving Individual Stage for blues, jazz, and live rock. The Concert Hall setting is amazing for classical music.
      Sorry I didn't write that clearly. Meant to say when my phone is connected to Apple car play my phone will not pull emails. Only way to get new emails is to,disconnect from CarPlay.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast