Call Me Crazy....but a 4CYL!?!?!?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      51

      Call Me Crazy....but a 4CYL!?!?!?

      Ok, you can all call me crazy if you want! I just might be!

      Brought my beautiful C70 into the dealer today to have a routine timing belt/serpentine belt/tensioners done. I'm at 94k miles so I'm a little early, but the car is an '08 so it's coming up on the 10 year mark. Yes, I could have waited, however I prefer to get it done sooner than later, especially with such a high risk maintenance part.

      At any rate, the point of this post is this: They gave me a nice 2017 S60 T5 Inscription loaner. Loving it, so I googled the specs and nearly spit coffee all over my computer screen. These newer volvo's have 4-cyl engines in them? All of them!?!? S60, XC60, S90, V90, XC90?

      Maybe I'm a little biased, maybe I just like to cling to the past....but I really fell in love with the 5cyl engines. Loved it in my '98 S70 GLT, my '95 850 T5, my families 95 850, and their 2000 XC70.

      I guess going back to the 4cyl is kind of like going back to basics, like my old 240....but I'm just a little shocked that they have the 4cyl even in the SUV models.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      150
      Almost everyone is doing it and the next stop will be 3-cyl with all electric self-driving as a final destination. For this reason I replaced my two 4-cyls with a 5- and a 6-cyl last year.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      51
      Quote Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
      Almost everyone is doing it and the next stop will be 3-cyl with all electric self-driving as a final destination. For this reason I replaced my two 4-cyls with a 5- and a 6-cyl last year.
      Man.....thats a bummer. The S60 is a sweeet ride, I can't complain about it. It doesn't feel like its got the same life that my C70, or any of my other 5Cyl cars had. It's a different feel!

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member Olstyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Europe (Germany)
      Posts
      119
      Did you have that feeling before or after you read about the missing cylinder?
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      51
      Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      Did you have that feeling before or after you read about the missing cylinder?
      Honestly, I had the feeling before I found out it's only a 4cyl. It feels great, the power is really good, but the experience is a little more sterilized.

    8. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      1,299
      current/future generations will only know 4 cylinder turbos. some of the more powerful ones (ie porsche) easily outperform the relatively ancient T5.

      you said it yourself, they drive great. you loved it. and most people love how they drive and appreciate the improved efficiency

      but yeah, those of us who have driven v6s or T5s will miss those engines... so buy them while you can and take good care of them ;-)
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

    9. #7
      Junior Member Olstyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Europe (Germany)
      Posts
      119
      The best example of why 4 cylinders are nothing to be afraid of is the original BMW M3. It also had 4 Cylinders and not even a turbo. Still it is considered one of the icons of sportscars.

      On Volvo side I have yet to drive a petrol 4 cylinder. I always get diesel ones when my car is getting serviced. And those are not quite as refined as the BMW and Audi ones my dad has/had.
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      51
      Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      current/future generations will only know 4 cylinder turbos. some of the more powerful ones (ie porsche) easily outperform the relatively ancient T5.

      you said it yourself, they drive great. you loved it. and most people love how they drive and appreciate the improved efficiency

      but yeah, those of us who have driven v6s or T5s will miss those engines... so buy them while you can and take good care of them ;-)
      I absolutely DO appreciate the better fuel efficiency, anythings better than my 20mpg average :cry:

      I really do love the crispness of the S60. It feels so tight and well-put together, and the interior is well balanced. It's not so gadget-laden that it looks like an airplane cockpit (e.g. Inifiniti's) and it's not the bland interior that some other luxury manufacturers are equipped with.

      It definitely lacks the animalistic nature though, of the 850/S70 turbo'd engines. To me the C70 has the desire to be animalistic, but it doesn't have the get-up. I was fortunate enough to drive a C70 Polestar, and that was more reminiscent of my old S70.

      I guess what I'm trying to say is...the S60 T5 inscription is certainly a faster bugger, but it doesn't feel as raw.

      Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      The best example of why 4 cylinders are nothing to be afraid of is the original BMW M3. It also had 4 Cylinders and not even a turbo. Still it is considered one of the icons of sportscars.

      On Volvo side I have yet to drive a petrol 4 cylinder. I always get diesel ones when my car is getting serviced. And those are not quite as refined as the BMW and Audi ones my dad has/had.
      I never felt it was less powerful, I only said I was shocked that it had a 4cyl

      As for the BMW M3, I'll pass. I'd much rather a 242 Turbo
      Last edited by Carondelet; 05-03-2017 at 04:14 PM.

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Carondelet View Post
      I absolutely DO appreciate the better fuel efficiency, anythings better than my 20mpg average :cry:

      I really do love the crispness of the S60. It feels so tight and well-put together, and the interior is well balanced. It's not so gadget-laden that it looks like an airplane cockpit (e.g. Inifiniti's) and it's not the bland interior that some other luxury manufacturers are equipped with.

      It definitely lacks the animalistic nature though, of the 850/S70 turbo'd engines. To me the C70 has the desire to be animalistic, but it doesn't have the get-up. I was fortunate enough to drive a C70 Polestar, and that was more reminiscent of my old S70.

      I guess what I'm trying to say is...the S60 T5 inscription is certainly a faster bugger, but it doesn't feel as raw.



      I never felt it was less powerful, I only said I was shocked that it had a 4cyl

      As for the BMW M3, I'll pass. I'd much rather a 242 Turbo
      Until someone can point to the exact tech that made the quantum change possible, I ain't biting. I contend they are just overstressing the crap out of everything and we'll pay for it in the end...

      Now, a 4 banger turbo with performance oriented electric assist I can get behind. Overly complicated and possibly sterilized, but that makes sense: add torque on demand, only when needed/requested.
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

    12. #10
      I drove the 2017 XC-90 with the turbo/blown 4cy, and did not like the engine at all. It felt overwhelmed, that is a heavy vehicle, but could just be my biases.. Loved everything else!

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      51
      Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      current/future generations will only know 4 cylinder turbos. some of the more powerful ones (ie porsche) easily outperform the relatively ancient T5.

      you said it yourself, they drive great. you loved it. and most people love how they drive and appreciate the improved efficiency

      but yeah, those of us who have driven v6s or T5s will miss those engines... so buy them while you can and take good care of them ;-)
      Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      Until someone can point to the exact tech that made the quantum change possible, I ain't biting. I contend they are just overstressing the crap out of everything and we'll pay for it in the end...

      Now, a 4 banger turbo with performance oriented electric assist I can get behind. Overly complicated and possibly sterilized, but that makes sense: add torque on demand, only when needed/requested.
      Quote Originally Posted by casique View Post
      I drove the 2017 XC-90 with the turbo/blown 4cy, and did not like the engine at all. It felt overwhelmed, that is a heavy vehicle, but could just be my biases.. Loved everything else!
      I've heard that you can really get a lot of power out of a 4 cyl engine. The old 240 engines can handle a LOT of power (although I don't know the durability over the long term under this kind of stress). However, I guess that we're just hoping that Volvo did it right this time around.

      and RE: the XC90, that's a bummer (and a little concerning) that it felt bogged down. I'd like to drive one and see what's what on that car.

    14. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements