Help! Lots of smoke and lots of noise from the steering rack
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Help! Lots of smoke and lots of noise from the steering rack

Hey everyone, I started noticing smoke from under the hood and a loud whining from the power steering rack then power steering became very not powered. I popped the hood and smoke poured from the back near the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Possibly blew a power steering hose. The loud whining was the power steering pump running on low fluid, hard steering was due to no fluid, and smoke was the power steering fluid hitting the downpipe.
      2007 S60 2.5T | Eibach Pro-Kit springs | Koni FSD Struts & Shocks | IPD Boost Gauge & Pod, HD Coil Packs, Rear Chassis Brace, Poly Sub Frame Bushings , HD Endlinks | EST Carbon Fiber Strut Bar, 3" DP, Touring Cat-Back Exhaust | Snabb High Flow Intake | do88 BigPack - Intercooler & Piping Kit | Brembo "R" Caliper Upgrade F&R | StopTech 330 mm Drilled & Slotted Rotors, SS Brake Lines | Hilton Stage 3 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by TiGreyS60 View Post
      Possibly blew a power steering hose. The loud whining was the power steering pump running on low fluid, hard steering was due to no fluid, and smoke was the power steering fluid hitting the downpipe.
      This. I'd guess that it's likely just a hose or clamp, unless the pump itself gave up, so I'd start with the connections and hoses, and go from there. Fluids dripping onto hot exhaust pipes causing massive amounts of smoke always gives you that awful feeling that you just killed your car. here's to hoping it's a quick cheap fix

I had something similar happen to one of my other cars, an '89 Mercedes 300CE coupe. I got off the highway after a long trip and there was a TON of oil smoke pouring out from under the car, coming from oil dripping badly on the down pipe at the back of the motor. I thought the motor was terminal, even started pricing out replacements, but a smart tech recommended inspecting and replacing the oil pressure switch - a $50 part hidden behind the oil filter stand at the firewall. It took half an hour to swap out and completely fix the issue. Better than putting in a whole new engine - well, except that I found out how easy it is to swap in the V8 from a 500E, but that's a different story

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TiGreyS60 View Post
      Thanks! I'll look under in a few and see what I can

Quote Originally Posted by mylesph1 View Post
      This. I'd guess that it's likely just a hose or clamp, unless the pump itself gave up, so I'd start with the connections and hoses, and go from there. Fluids dripping onto hot exhaust pipes causing massive amounts of smoke always gives you that awful feeling that you just killed your car. here's to hoping it's a quick cheap fix

I had something similar happen to one of my other cars, an '89 Mercedes 300CE coupe. I got off the highway after a long trip and there was a TON of oil smoke pouring out from under the car, coming from oil dripping badly on the down pipe at the back of the motor. I thought the motor was terminal, even started pricing out replacements, but a smart tech recommended inspecting and replacing the oil pressure switch - a $50 part hidden behind the oil filter stand at the firewall. It took half an hour to swap out and completely fix the issue. Better than putting in a whole new engine - well, except that I found out how easy it is to swap in the V8 from a 500E, but that's a different story
      Thanks hopefully it's something simple

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements