SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2004 XC70 removed drive shaft, now making bad noise

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  ddavis 
#1 ·
Hey! On the road and developed a vibration. Four different mechanics diagnosed it as a bad drive shaft. Couldn't afford that, so just removed it, thinking I could use it as FWD, since so many online users said that would be fine. On the test drive after removing it, something kicked in and started making a loud and constant medium-to-high pitched sound. Should add that it is a Geartronic (auto with manual mode) transmission. I pulled the fuse on the Haldex unit but that didn't change anything. Any ideas what is wrong and what to do? Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
No, not even sure where that is. Since I posted I got back under the car and spun the two places where the drive shaft attached at the front and rear. The rear spins quietly but the front is probably the culprit...it's pretty noise just when hand spinning and I can imagine that's what causes the sound. Is that the angle gear? Is that a DIY type thing or does it need special tools? I'll google it right away. Thanks. UPDATE. Question: aside from the noise, is there any harm in driving the vehicle if there's a bad angle gear?

#4 ·
That's the angle gear, and from what you're describing that sounds like it's bone dry. Angle gear is the transfer case, and the part is over $500 alone I think.

#5 ·
So maybe filling it with oil will quiet it down? Since I plan on leaving the drive shaft off and just going with FWD, there's no real need for the angle gear. As I understand it now, the gear turns when the wheels turn (which is why the noise still happens in neutral, I guess) so if I could quiet it down, I'd be done. Thanks...I'll look into how to get oil into the thing.

#6 ·
It may be too far gone if it's been running without fluid. Takes 75W90 if you want to try, but I guess it don't really matter if it's already dead. There's a fill plug on the side near the top(can't be more descriptive than that, sorry).

I also think you're supposed to install something in the empty spot where the driveshaft used to be, look it up here and you might find some info.

#7 · (Edited)
Legtayor: Fingers crossed that the oil will quiet it down enough to be ok even if it's shot. It's not needed anymore anyway, right? I can't find anything about "installing something in the empty spot where the driveshaft used to be." Everything I've read said just remove the drive shaft and well, drive. I'll check some more. Heading to parts store for oil. BTW, this may well me the mystery oil leak we've had for some time. When we'd pull in the garage, it will smell like hot oil but there would never be a spot on the floor. If this was the leak, then it was dripping right on the exhaust where it would burn off, creating the smell and leaving no spot! So many mechanics at so many places (even dealer mechanics) and no one thought to check that type of leak. Oh well. I'll be happy if I can quiet it down and drive FWD without a vibration or whining sound. Let's hope...Oh and THANKS!

#11 ·
If the angle gear was leaking it wouldn't leak onto the exhaust, but the skidplate. It could very well have pooled on the skidplate and flown off while driving, my skidplate is always damp with a little bit of engine oil but never drips on the floor.

#9 ·
You make it sound easy! :) As a DIY with no experience but plenty of will-to-do-it, I'd need step by step instructions on removing it and then what to do with what is left. I can't just take it out and that's that, right? Anyway, to those following this, I decided to check the oil level first...it was only less than an inch below the side plug, so that's probably not the problem. So, I'm looking for instructions on removing the angle gear and patching it up from there. Anyone? I'll check the forums and google. THANKS ALL!

#10 ·
UPDATE: After much searching my questions remain: Does anyone know of step-by-step DIY directions to remove the angle gear and do whatever necessary to seal that up? I read references to sleeves and using loctite on the sleeve and also references to people creating all kinds of rigs to patch the thing up after removing the angle gear. I hate to tear into it not knowing what I'm getting into. At the very least, I need to know more about this sleeve and sealing it with loctite and will this actually work? Thanks.

#12 ·
I saw something on here a while back where someone just used a couple of worm clamps around the cv axle to keep the sleeve from backing out, i'm assuming thats what the loctite would be for? I don't think any "sealing" is needed as far as i could tell.

To be honest i didn't really have all the answers going in but i've been driving for 3 days now with just the axle put back in and it has done fine. I'll be adding the clamps tomorrow if the weather is okay, i could take some pictures while i'm under there if that would help.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
You definitely need something in place to keep the sleeve from coming out. Normally that is the angle gear, but if you remove it, definitely put something in its place. The sleeve is what seals the trans, if it comes loose you will loose all your trans fluid fairly quickly. Clamps may work temporarily, but I'd want some sort of a collar for a more permanent solution.

#14 ·
Legtayor, you are right about the leak. The oil level in the angle gear was about a half inch below the filler plug, so I figure that's not the problem. Dad_Jazz: Yes, I've seen pictures of the hose clamps in place...that guy says that this method has held for seven years and almost 100,000 miles. Hootie6828: Thanks. Thanks to all, I'm starting to see the bigger picture here.

Does anyone know of any specific issues I might create given the year/model (2004 XC70) and Geartronic tranny? I've yet to find anyone who has removed the angle gear on that model/year Volvo. Hope it's ok to do it.

Thanks everyone!

#17 ·
The top bolt is a bit of a pain to find, its between the engine mount bracket and transmission bolt. I removed a 10mm holding a power steering line to the subframe to help get the unit out (forgot to take a picture) but it didn't take much to get it free. I would reccomend removing the top two first, i left the top in and had to fight the angle gear a little to get the weight off, otherwise it should come out by hand once broken loose.

For the sleeve, i got lucky and found a collar in the scrap pile that happened to be the exact size i needed, but it didn't look like the sleeve moved at all. I've heard horror stories about trying to get them out so i doubt it would fall out too easy.

#20 ·
You should try and get a recording of the noise you're experiencing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.