Headlight reset question??????
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Headlight reset question??????

I am hopeful one of the Volvo Techs can answer this, but am happy to have anyone help me out. My S90 is in for a repair due to a idiot backing into me. One of the items damaged was the headlight which has resulted in a full replacement of the headlight. The vehicle was to be completed today and i was called and told it was. then about an hour later, i get called and am told that the vehicle is not ready, as it needs a reset due to the new headlight. The body shop claims they have to have someone come in to do the reset and the vehicle will now not be ready until tomorrow. As strange as this may be or not be, what i am concerned about now is that between the time of the first call telling me my care was completed and the second call saying oooops, wait, my car was driven 12 miles. (Yeah for VOC) This was after it had been driven a mile just before the first call, which in my opinion was the post repair drive. Add on top of this, my miles to empty went from 105 to 45 in the 12 mile drive. Naturally they drove with the pedal down the whole way.

So after my long drawn out story, does this reset sound legit, or should i be concerned these clowns damaged my car on their 12 mile jaunt?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes sounds legit.....I hit a deer, or the deer hit me, this past November in my Audi. The headlight angle had to be set by the dealership after replacement.
      Present rides:
      13 Volvo XC70 T6 w/ Platinum, Climate, BLIS (wife's ride)
      16 Audi TT
      Gone but not forgotten: 1988 240DL, 1993 940, 1999 XC70, 2003 XC70, 2009 XC70

I'm no expert when it comes to the SPA products but reseting the headlight module is legitimate to ensure that it levels properly and is level with the existing headlight. I had to have this done on a 15 V60 with xenons.

That said, I have never had an independent shop or dealer drive my personal car 12 miles before or after a repair. 1 or 2 miles tops to diagnose a faulty transmission. A 12 mile drive to verify headlight function sounds like a major red flag! I would certainly speak to the manager or service advisor as to what they think justified their technician to take your car on a joyride.
      2008 XC90 V8 Exec - Ice White - Soft Beige leather - 125K

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The active headlights require calibration with VIDA. No way around this and only VIDA can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwynkoop View Post
      That said, I have never had an independent shop or dealer drive my personal car 12 miles before or after a repair. 1 or 2 miles tops to diagnose a faulty transmission. A 12 mile drive to verify headlight function sounds like a major red flag! I would certainly speak to the manager or service advisor as to what they think justified their technician to take your car on a joyride.
      This is incorrect. There are MANY reasons why we have to drive a vehicle over 10 miles to properly diagnose, verify repair, or calibrate a certain module (mostly SODL/SODR). You know how many customers cuss at us if they come in for a repeat repair and we didnt drive the vehicle more than 2 miles?
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Thanks for the info everyone. I was hoping you would chime in Gunshow. I will ask about the mileage as i am curious, and I predict i am going to be told they drove it somewhere trying to have the lights calibrated. Now someone is coming to the body shop to complete the task tomorrow.

Or.... i end up getting arrested for Bank robbery after they used my car to make a withdrawal from an account they do not own. Maybe the body shop rep's name is Robin Banks.

My apologies gunshow, I did jump to conclusions. I know from experience a repeated repair is a frustrating inconvenience. I just find it strange that the fuel range dropped 60 miles.
      Last edited by jeffwynkoop; 05-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.
      2008 XC90 V8 Exec - Ice White - Soft Beige leather - 125K

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwynkoop View Post
      My apologies gunshow, I did jump to conclusions. I know from experience a repeated repair is a frustrating inconvenience. I just find it strange that the fuel range dropped 60 miles.
      Not a problem, that is why I am here.

Quote Originally Posted by Batdog View Post
      Thanks for the info everyone. I was hoping you would chime in Gunshow. I will ask about the mileage as i am curious, and I predict i am going to be told they drove it somewhere trying to have the lights calibrated. Now someone is coming to the body shop to complete the task tomorrow.

Or.... i end up getting arrested for Bank robbery after they used my car to make a withdrawal from an account they do not own. Maybe the body shop rep's name is Robin Banks.
      I am not entirely sure how somebody would come to them to do headlight calibration unless they have a VIDA laptop.

Usually body shops have the vehicle towed to us for programming/calibration and there is usually a bunch of things we have to reset after a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I am not entirely sure how somebody would come to them to do headlight calibration unless they have a VIDA laptop.

Usually body shops have the vehicle towed to us for programming/calibration and there is usually a bunch of things we have to reset after a crash.
      Gunshow, that is my thought too. Interesting that the body shop did not refer to this as a calibration, or adjustment. they said they have to "reset the car" The more in think about it, i am sure it is legit, but just strange. This is not a small body shop, they are rather large with 100's of facilities around the country so at least if something is amiss, there is a method to get the matter resolved.

I just wished my dealership where I purchased the car had a body shop.

I am sure your vehicle will be fixed properly. Nothing to worry about. They'll get it fixed one way or another.

Ok, update, my vehicle ended up being taken to the dealership i purchased it from, (Closest to body shop) where the service department "reprogrammed the drive control" the body shop claims that they had someone come to their facility to perform this function however, they were unable to do so. Two hours at the dealership, and viola, done.

They claim the 12 miles driven previously, was an attempt to have the car reset itself.

Bottom line, car looks brand new, which it should as i have not had it for 90 days yet. So all is well.

If you have the driving journal enabled in On Call, it should show the trip with actual fuel consumption for the 12 mi trip. If they are moving the car around in small amounts, it will kill the fuel economy. My car had 7.5 mpg average @ 8 miles on odometer with an average speed of 10 mph when it was delivered to me.This will cause a more substantial drop in the range statistic than hard driving, which would actually be more fuel efficient.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Have the driving journal enabled which is what i was looking to see the drives and MPG.

Now that car is back and have messed around with it, I see that although i had updated my map, it is now showing the previous map update in the system. looks like another hour update to be completed maybe. But i did see however, is that prior to my car going in for service, when i pulled up the map versions, it would show North America as the amp. now it shows California. The good side to this is the Nav system loads and is ready for use in about half the time. Anyone know if i load the newest version a way to just have California for my map so i can still see the fast load time?

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements