Drive-E, T6 initial feedback on reliability/maturity
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Drive-E, T6 initial feedback on reliability/maturity

Any field experience with these engines from people in the know?
      Not sure I am ready to jump from the GREAT 6/T6 to the new 4/T6........................
      2013 XC70 T6, Flamenco Red
      2016 Jaguar XJ AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can't comment on the 6/T6, but I have two other 6 cylinder cars, and am impressed with the performance of the 4/T6. The S90 and the GS 350 are generally in the same class, both all wheel drive luxury cars with similar dimensions, weight, power and torque. Under normal driving circumstances, neither engine has to work hard, but the eight speed transmission of the S90 keeps the rpms low at any speed, so it returns much better gas mileage than the GS 350. Kick the S90 in the butt and it takes off immediately. There's no lag. In a straight line, I can't tell any difference in performance between the Volvo and the Lexus. It doesn't seem like the Volvo is working any harder than the Lexus. Time will tell about durability, but like I said, the 8-speed keep rpms low. I guess the wild card is the effects of the engine being both supercharged and turbocharged.

I don't know how similar the all wheel drive systems are in the XC70 and the S90/XC90, but the S90 compares favorably to the Lexus and Acura's SH AWD. There's less drag than the Lexus and the Acura and handling is very similar. The Volvo has a bit more body roll when pushed hard, but I haven't been in situation where I didn't feel confident that the car was planted on the road.

We are almost to 30k miles on our Drive E T6 - not really long enough to give you reliable data on long term reliability. That being said, it seems to be a stout little engine. Easy to do oil changes and air filter changes on. Haven't noticed any oil consumption issues, although with an electronic dipstick you can't be 100% certain - it never moves off "full". Mechanically, the drivetrain appears to be well engineered. Not sure if this helps you any OP but its still a relatively new drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm also coming from a '13 T6....and test drove the new CC last month. I was worried about it, but honestly the engine was much better than I expected.....very responsive, quiet, no problems in my opinion. My wife won't know the difference, but if it was my main driver I'd probably spring for the Polestar also.

I would suggest to hit your local dealer and try one out.
      Present rides:
      13 Volvo XC70 T6 w/ Platinum, Climate, BLIS (wife's ride)
      16 Audi TT
      Gone but not forgotten: 1988 240DL, 1993 940, 1999 XC70, 2003 XC70, 2009 XC70

Absolutely no problems with our T5 and it is one of the earliest build models.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

Quote Originally Posted by yidal8 View Post
      Not sure I am ready to jump from the GREAT 6/T6 to the new 4/T6........................
      Ive had several with absolutely no problems but then again it wasn't high mileage.
      2015.5 S60 T6 with 17k miles
      2016 XC90 with 6K miles
      2016 XC90 with 9k miles
      sister in laws 2015.5 V60 with 20k also no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by yidal8 View Post
      Not sure if me working on the four cylinder since they very first day they came out counts as field experience....? LOL
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

I have a V60 T5-E built in April 2014. 55,000 miles so far and no problems.
      2015 V60 T5 E Premier Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Not sure if me working on the four cylinder since they very first day they came out counts as field experience....? LOL
      Can you expand?
      2013 XC70 T6, Flamenco Red
      2016 Jaguar XJ AWD

One question I have is if this engine was sold in Europe before being brought to North America? If so, it's been around even longer than early 2014. It does seem to have a good track record so far although the T6 version seems to have had some issues with spark plugs up to and including engine replacement.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail View Post
      One question I have is if this engine was sold in Europe before being brought to North America? If so, it's been around even longer than early 2014. It does seem to have a good track record so far although the T6 version seems to have had some issues with spark plugs up to and including engine replacement.
      This was not limited to the T6 and included the T5 as well. It was not the spark plugs but the oil consumption from the low friction piston rings that caused detonation and damage to the spark plugs. Its not that common as I have seen it a few times out of hundreds of cars each week.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements