MfS60r's Build Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

MfS60r's Build Thread

Well I figured it's about time to start a thread. I always look track of these things since documentation is always last on my list of things to do. So first post will be about my build from when I bought it till now so bear with me.

Picked my 2007 s60r GT with 112k up in October of 2016 for 7k, had a mean rattle at certain rpm but I figured I'd tackle it down the road. Came with some 17" pegs with half warn winters and some 18" Nebula Reps. Interior was clean, body was straight with two small dings. No rust.

Car had the valvebody done at one point, shifted great ran good (aside from the rattle) so I took it home.

Here's the car when I picked it up

First "mods" were to paint the grille black and get some lamin-x to protect the headlight glass. I went with the lightest tint to make it look pretty.

For the most part I just drove the car, told myself I wouldn't mod it, wouldn't do anything to it (like the last 10 cars) but that never ends up happening.

Few weeks later I bought a GlowShift tinted 7 color boost gauge and a Ortiz custom pods cubby hole pod. Found out that it was meant for the older R dash and not the one with the aluminum bezel. Got ambitious one night, took it all apart and made it work

Car is an absolute tank, did a 3-point turn in 15" of fresh snow and plowed 500ft up a hill without a stop

Threw some 8$ 6000k hids which 6 months later are still mint

Fast forward 10k from when I bought it I got the dreaded "coolant low" message. Filled her up. Didn't come on till next day. Then it got worse to the point where the message would come on every 10 miles. No puddles, no smoke no nothing.

Got a exhaust gas tester, failed miserably. Went out next day bought an 05 T5 for 1200 with 120k.
      Let me just say, this is why I do my own work. Whoever worked on the car were COMPLETE hacks. One tq converter bolt missing, they were all hitting the starter at one point too, bent bolts etc. I guess when they did the valve body work they decided to put it back together horribly.

Quick trip to the dealer got me, new exhaust manifold gaskets, oil pan o-ring kit, tq converter bolts, driveshaft to angle gear bolts. New plugs, Obx downpipe and catback. Various gaskets and seals. Vacuum lines. Completely gone through engine before reinstalling with the k24, R injectors, plastic coverings and the like. Removal, preparation of new motor and install took 2 days, was extremely easy. Would definitely do it again no problems.

Car runs mint now, 15psi steadily. No issues at all!

Recently installed an STI lip also

Most recently I've ordered a pierburg Porsche TCV and have been getting a spare computer prepared for vida/dice. Will also be doing a fmic and tune down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      07 S60R GT: 2.4 T5 Swapped, tf8sc, OBX 3" Down Pipe, OBX Catback, AEM UEGO, Glowshift Boost Gauge, K&N Drop in, Nebula Reps, Pilot super Sports, 5mm & 10mm Spacers, STI Lip.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like one I looked at in Upton.
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      Looks like one I looked at in Upton.
      That's the one!

Just put my Porsche pierburg TCV in, tightened up my piping to stop a boost leak, cleared my DEM 0007 code will likely order the part for it, added more space on my o2 spacer to stop my o2 code. Car should be running mint now!

07 S60R GT: 2.4 T5 Swapped, tf8sc, OBX 3" Down Pipe, OBX Catback, AEM UEGO, Glowshift Boost Gauge, K&N Drop in, Nebula Reps, Pilot super Sports, 5mm & 10mm Spacers, STI Lip.

Headed up to New England Dragway tomorrow. Should be some cool temps and good numbers. Can't wait to see what the Stock R Tune does with my t5 Swap and the few mods I have.

Pic of my old e36 I had before I got the R. Bought bone stock, went throughout completely and got her down to this with some heavier wheels on a 94 degree day. Never got to race it with the k1s in the fall before I sold it.

Quick update:

Recently made myself a mesh grille, the plastic could use a little more body work up close but I love the way it looks!

Also think I finally got my exhaust buttoned up! Luckily I kept getting a rich code and a FPS performance code, had a spare FPS from my T5 rail after the swap. Put it in and all codes gone! Also gave it a wash and wax and snapped a photo next to our 1965 tucker snocat

Later thought I had another coolant fiasco and tested it and the test came back negative, what a relief

Issue ended up being the expansion tank cap!

When I cracked my block I thought it was a bad cap too. It got better after I put some miles on her, so I suspect the crack began to clog with carbon.

Lets hope its not in your case, but if she keeps puking out the cap every now and then you may have a crack. The exhaust gas test doesn't't always find a crack if it takes some real cylinder pressures to open her up.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      When I cracked my block I thought it was a bad cap too. It got better after I put some miles on her, so I suspect the crack began to clog with carbon.

Lets hope its not in your case, but if she keeps puking out the cap every now and then you may have a crack. The exhaust gas test doesn't't always find a crack if it takes some real cylinder pressures to open her up.

Interesting to think about, I'm not too concerned with the 2.4 in it. Wasn't necessarily "puking" but we'll see, for all I know I could be way off and I still have a slow leak, but no misfires or associated issues. So far so good and nothing similar to the R motor when it went. Either way I have till august to use the warranty on my motor if anything goes south. Plus the cap that was on it was so bad that squeezing the upper radiator hose would push quite a bit of air out of it. Cap replace stopped that issue. I'm putting my money on evaporation due to the amount of water I added to the system when I put the new motor in.
      Last edited by MFs60r; 05-30-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Oh yea, that definitely sounds like a bad cap, should hold over 10 psi of pressure so if it leaked when you squeezed the hose it was certainly shot. Would also make it evaporate fast without being pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      Oh yea, that definitely sounds like a bad cap, should hold over 10 psi of pressure so if it leaked when you squeezed the hose it was certainly shot. Would also make it evaporate fast without being pressurized.
      That's my hope anyway! We shall see! I got a low coolant light 3k after the swap....then another 3k after the swap with the same cap that was replaced after I did the swap. Was a cheap Autozone replacement cap which would make sense. Swapped the stock one back on and it didn't make the noise. Would make noise squeezing and when you let off of the hose it would make a super loud suction noise too.
      Last edited by MFs60r; 05-30-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Just ordered 6ft of vacuum line and a new turbo>DP gasket. Just want fresh lines to keep issues from occuring

Got my new vac lines + downpipe gasket installed. Decided to spray up my downpipe with some of that "ceramic" spray paint whether or not it does anything I don't know I just did it to keep the pipe from rusting. Re sprayed my grill and attached my R

My battery finally died this weekend, put a new one in.

Also Bought an aem uego for $120 today, basically brand new. Made my own vent pod for less than $5 turned some pvc on the lathe, got it all within spec. Glued it together and ran my lines. Got the wideband connected and the 2.4t5 with stock R tune is mint.

14.2-14.8 at idle
      14.3-14.9 cruising
      12.2-12.5 WOT

Pretty happy with how it came out

Next mods are to get an ARD crank pulley!

Brandy New Thermostat housing assembly yesterday....gasket went

I would make sure the crank pulley is balanced.

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      I would make sure the crank pulley is balanced.

Especially because at best it gains you.....1 hp
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite M56H - 119k - The Garage Queen
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/Graphite AW42 - 241k - The Daily
      1995 945 Turbo - 425k, 1994 945 Turbo - 234k, 1993 945 Turbo - 318k

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Especially because at best it gains you.....1 hp
      Wasn't looking for "gains" per se, more or less if I can upgrade it I will upgrade it. Balancing it is not an issue.

Just pulled the head off my old motor. This is a 100% stock R engine that had 120k on it. So glad I swapped an 05 t5

Where did you get that bezel for the boost gauge? Looking to swap mine back to stock HU and have a boost gauge and AFR installed in the "cubby" area that I'd like to keep.

06 V70R
      97 855R
      98 V70AWD

Quote Originally Posted by taklopcic View Post
      Where did you get that bezel for the boost gauge? Looking to swap mine back to stock HU and have a boost gauge and AFR installed in the "cubby" area that I'd like to keep.

I got it from Ortiz Custom Pods, The problem with this one is originally it was meant for an R without the metal trim around the radio so I had to cut it way down to fit.

I've said it once I'll say it again, you don't need a VIDA. I use a Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 Scan Tool, it will reset everything from your climate control, to your dem and show you codes for all those systems as well as let you reset them. I have cleared my ABS Code and Reset my SRS Light. I can see the live throttle opening percentage, I can see the duty cycle of my tcv, fuel temp, oil level, individual misfire. Just incase anyone is looking for an affordable scan tool that will work on everything and not just your Volvo.

Washed and waxed yesterday, cut my fog surrounds. Looks way better this way. Taken with my canon t3 using an 80-200 lens f5.6

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements