Advice please: New XC6O reliability and Lease or Buy?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Advice please: New XC6O reliability and Lease or Buy?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice. It is very appreciated. I have been reading these forums and doing research. I believe you all here have the most helpful advice to give. Volvos were the first cars I drove (mother had one) and now I am wanting to buy a new car. Part of me wants to stick with a Toyota as I see they (and Lexus) are continuously the highest rated on reliability. I see Volvo is not as high as a few others. But, this tells me nothing specific about what they mean by "reliability". Outside of safety, I want a car that is not going to leave me stranded, that's my main concern.

1) With any problems that (may?) pop up with the 2017XC60, do any involve breaking down on the highway, that kind of thing? (I have read here about battery issues and oil issues and other places online I have read pretty bad things (break-downs) but I do not always trust what I read online.).
      1b) With that said, does this reliability extend to 3 - 6 years down the line? Or will I be in for paying for a lot of repairs (including non covered things like sunroof leaks, electrical, etc?)? I know the Volvos of the past went forever, I don't know about these newer models.

2) My second question is the old "should I lease or buy" question. I am aware the XC60 is coming out with a new model so I "assume" the value of the 2017 will not be as great down the line (is this correct?) Mostly-- do you have any advice on the buy or lease front, of a new 2017?
      2b) I am also considering a CPO with very low mileage to buy (if there is one close enough by me). Would that make better sense?

Many thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We have owned various Volvos (6) since 2005 and consider then very reliable. My wife was stranded once in her 2009 S80 because her battery exploded. Usually when a battery is going bad the electronics will "act up" as a clue. Maybe others can answer too, but I have not read where batteries have left owners frequently stranded and I would not consider that the fault of the vehicle per se. I have talked numerous times with the Volvo tech. at the dealership and he said it in not uncommon to see Volvos with 200,000+ miles in the shop for routine maintenance.
      Leasing vs buying is always a big question and would depend on the deal and incentives of each. My brother sells new cars and swears by leasing. I am not a big fan because I want to own the vehicle outright. I also think a low mileage CPO Volvo is an excellent idea. On a side note, I am still wary of the new 4 cylinder turbo and supercharged motors. I have driven a high horsepower XC90 and was impressed but I do not know how reliable they will be with tens of thousands of miles on them. That is a heavy car to pull around! Good luck and I hope this helps.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Thank you reward2. Appreciated very much.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We too have owned a few Volvos since 01. Out of the entire lot only two stranded us. The 06 S60 had a speed sensor problem and required a tow twice. Once the correct issue was identified and fixed it never did it again. The 09 V70 had a battery issue and "could have" been driven to dealer but they advised a tow. Once battery was replaced no further problems. Our 12 XC60 has been almost perfect, except for a CV Boot replacement but our overall ownership experience with Volvos has been very good. Not perfect mind you but the last two have been pretty much bullet proof. Usually the last MY run for a particular Volvo model is pretty solid as most bugs have been worked out. If you don't mind an old body style the 17 XC60 would be a great purchase, as would a gently used CPO.

As far as lease or buy - We've always purchased our cars until we leased the 15 Genny. Will never do it again. Am constantly worried about any damage and don't like having to car shop with someone else's time-frame. I've opted for an 18 XC60 and have my hand up for an OSD slot. Some swear by leasing but it complicates my life enough that I won't do it again - Like to buy and decide when "I'm" ready to buy again.

Good Luck
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

My 2013 R-Design, has 86,000 miles and has been very reliable. As with any car, I would expect some repairs after 100K miles.

IIRC, when Volvo does the repairs, they are now warranted for the life of the car. It used to be 2 years. While it probably costs more than an independent shop, there is some peace of mind with that warranty.

As far as leasing vs. buying, it's a personal decision as to what fits best in your budget. There are pros and cons to both options.

The only way I do a lease is if I can get the car for the same price as buying. Did that with our 2006 XC70 because they were offering a cap cost reduction of $10k. With any luck the last of the P3 XC60s will have the same. The bonus is if you lease and get a lemon or the 4 banger doesn't work out, you just hand the car back. Mind the mileage, though. Cap cost reduction is good, low monthly payment because of a low mileage amount is bad unless you really intend to buy it at the end.
      Last edited by dbphillips; 05-16-2017 at 11:26 PM.
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

Thank you to everyone now here -- comp1, XC60 TN, and dbphillips, in addition to reward2 -- this is all extremely helpful. I wish you a great day.

I'm in my first Volvo and I'm not sure I'll be back. Although the new models are gorgeous so maybe I will be back. I don't think I'll ever be stranded but my car has had multiple weird quality issues and quirks I'm not a fan of. I have a CPO warranty and dealer has been great but I'm concerned long term. I do feel special in a Volvo though.

If you buy definitely consider a CPO. You get the remainder of the original warranty as the CPO protects you even longer. Also pre-depreciated for you!

re: above comment (stupid_nut) What model is yours? And year and miles on it? What kind of weird quirks/problems? Thanks (and sorry!)
      Last edited by Barb2; 05-18-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Clarification on what I meant by"price" above. I really meant out of pocket. Add up lease payments, down payment, and residual value and it should be no more than the purchase price option.
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2 View Post
      re: above comment (stupid_nut) What model is yours? And year and miles on it? What kind of weird quirks/problems? Thanks (and sorry!)
      Hi! I have a 2012 Volvo S80, purchased in 2015 with 23k miles on it, now I have 44k miles on it. As a car that had been sold a couple years already I was hoping the kinks would be worked out. There are numerous creaks and rattles that are a daily annoyance (doors, dash, center console, sunroof). I've had the dealer look at it multiple times and their fixes work a tad then stop, I've given up on the creaks. I think the worst is when the temps change the entire dash sometimes makes a loud snapping sound, like tension is building then releases.

Drivers side speaker replaced (sound would go out intermittently)
      Start/Stop button replaced (Cap broke and popped out one day)
      Steering wheel trim metal was separating and sliced my fingers (replaced)
      Volvo steering wheel logo and grill logo fell off (replaced)

Recently with long periods of rain I've noticed streaks from top of windshield (will get looked at next service)
      Transmission jerks (apparently this is normal)
      AC smells for a tad when turned off/on (musty smell)
      AC just recently started making noise (either normal or compressor going out)

Weird thing is, aside from the speaker and start/stop button, everything else has other people complaining about it. You'd think Volvo would get on it if multiple people have a problem. Dealer has been great but it's embarrassing to bring it up to the dealer and annoying to me.

The sad thing is I really like the car. It's unique and I feel special in it. Guess I'll see what else crops up as the car gets older. I still have CPO warranty until 2020.

If you decide on a CPO ask for a longer term test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by stupid_nut View Post
      Hi! I have a 2012 Volvo S80, purchased in 2015 with 23k miles on it, now I have 44k miles on it. As a car that had been sold a couple years already I was hoping the kinks would be worked out. There are numerous creaks and rattles that are a daily annoyance (doors, dash, center console, sunroof). I've had the dealer look at it multiple times and their fixes work a tad then stop, I've given up on the creaks. I think the worst is when the temps change the entire dash sometimes makes a loud snapping sound, like tension is building then releases.

Drivers side speaker replaced (sound would go out intermittently)
      Start/Stop button replaced (Cap broke and popped out one day)
      Steering wheel trim metal was separating and sliced my fingers (replaced)
      Volvo steering wheel logo and grill logo fell off (replaced)

Recently with long periods of rain I've noticed streaks from top of windshield (will get looked at next service)
      Transmission jerks (apparently this is normal)
      AC smells for a tad when turned off/on (musty smell)
      AC just recently started making noise (either normal or compressor going out)

Weird thing is, aside from the speaker and start/stop button, everything else has other people complaining about it. You'd think Volvo would get on it if multiple people have a problem. Dealer has been great but it's embarrassing to bring it up to the dealer and annoying to me.

The sad thing is I really like the car. It's unique and I feel special in it. Guess I'll see what else crops up as the car gets older. I still have CPO warranty until 2020.

If you decide on a CPO ask for a longer term test drive.
      As I posted previously we have owned 2-2005 S60s, 1-2007 S80 3.2, 1-2009 S80 T6, her current XC60 T6 and my 2007 S60R, and we have not had any of the issues you have in your S80 in any of our cars in total. With the exception of the battery explosion in her S80 T6 ours have been free of issues. Do you have a good history of your car? Was it a product of a flood and then resold by any chance? With our experience with Volvos, I find your situation unusual. Maybe we are just lucky and am sorry for you.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2 View Post
      Thank you very much in advance for any advice. It is very appreciated. I have been reading these forums and doing research. I believe you all here have the most helpful advice to give. Volvos were the first cars I drove (mother had one) and now I am wanting to buy a new car. Part of me wants to stick with a Toyota as I see they (and Lexus) are continuously the highest rated on reliability. I see Volvo is not as high as a few others. But, this tells me nothing specific about what they mean by "reliability". Outside of safety, I want a car that is not going to leave me stranded, that's my main concern.

1) With any problems that (may?) pop up with the 2017XC60, do any involve breaking down on the highway, that kind of thing? (I have read here about battery issues and oil issues and other places online I have read pretty bad things (break-downs) but I do not always trust what I read online.).
      1b) With that said, does this reliability extend to 3 - 6 years down the line? Or will I be in for paying for a lot of repairs (including non covered things like sunroof leaks, electrical, etc?)? I know the Volvos of the past went forever, I don't know about these newer models.

2) My second question is the old "should I lease or buy" question. I am aware the XC60 is coming out with a new model so I "assume" the value of the 2017 will not be as great down the line (is this correct?) Mostly-- do you have any advice on the buy or lease front, of a new 2017?
      2b) I am also considering a CPO with very low mileage to buy (if there is one close enough by me). Would that make better sense?

Many thanks!
      Lease vs. Buy is a strictly financial decision. Volvo's Typically lose 30% of their value within the first year.

1. Are you dead set on buying new? Sure you will get a "never driven" car, but you will take a huge financial hit.
      2. Buying a CPO (7yr / 100,000 Warranty) is often a far better deal. You save 10-15,000, get a car with a "few thousand miles", and get a great warranty! Plus, you can shop around and get most of your desired features for far less.

Do note...Stay clear of cars listed as "Rental" on CarFax.

A. Personal Vehicles are #1 and Fleet are #2.
      B. Fleet are generally Volvo Loaner Cars handed out to people having service performed.
      C Personal is generally a single owner vehicle when sold as a CPO.

Leasing

Leasing has some benefits and some negatives.

1. If you want to get a new car every year or 2, Leasing is a great option. You get the latest model, without having to buy.
      2. Leased cars generally have their services included in the "Lease Price"
      3. You don't own the car

Negatives

1. You don't own the car, so the $300-600 you spend a month isn't paid towards an asset. Sure, cars depreciate but they still retain X value after depreciation.

2. So lets say you lease cars for 5 years at $400 a month. That's $24,000 spent without anything to "show"....Even with maintenance, most cars in their
      first few years of ownership are "warrantied". Volvo's have a 4 year / 50,000 warranty. So other than maintenance, anything that breaks is covered.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 05-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Leasing is also a good option for those who have the mindset of "I will always have a car payment." I personally don't like a lease because I like owning my vehicles. I typically keep my cars for 7 to 10 years. The thought of plopping down $2k-4K and then having a lease payment and being responsible for wear and tear and mileage -just a little too much for me. I leased a ford 20 years ago and I ended up going about 6000 miles over the allotted lease mileage and the tires were shot. Ended up having to pay almost 1000 bucks at turn in.
      '15.5 XC60 R Design Platinum Passion Red
      '13 XC60 R Design Platinum Black Sapphire
      '07 Infiniti G35x

Quote Originally Posted by frank8040 View Post
      Leasing is also a good option for those who have the mindset of "I will always have a car payment." I personally don't like a lease because I like owning my vehicles. I typically keep my cars for 7 to 10 years. The thought of plopping down $2k-4K and then having a lease payment and being responsible for wear and tear and mileage -just a little too much for me. I leased a ford 20 years ago and I ended up going about 6000 miles over the allotted lease mileage and the tires were shot. Ended up having to pay almost 1000 bucks at turn in.
      Good Point. Leases do have some purposes.

1. If you cannot afford / have less than stellar credit and want to drive a "new car".
      2. Military. If you are stationed somewhere for a year or 2 and don't want to bother having your car shipped from A to B every time you get a new assigningment.
      3. Growing Families. Let's say you need an XC90 or car that can hold X children, but you can't afford to purchase.

Etc

Quote Originally Posted by reward2 View Post
      As I posted previously we have owned 2-2005 S60s, 1-2007 S80 3.2, 1-2009 S80 T6, her current XC60 T6 and my 2007 S60R, and we have not had any of the issues you have in your S80 in any of our cars in total. With the exception of the battery explosion in her S80 T6 ours have been free of issues. Do you have a good history of your car? Was it a product of a flood and then resold by any chance? With our experience with Volvos, I find your situation unusual. Maybe we are just lucky and am sorry for you.
      It was a dealership loaner car that had the CPO warranty. I figured the dealer would not CPO it if they knew there were issues. My first car purchase. So far its mostly been fit/finish/trim issues so knock on wood.

Ooh, yeah, CPO doesn't necessarily mean a clean bill of health. Some dealers are more careless than others. But in the current world of Carfax tracking cars, the history should show potential issues. For example, a lot of visits to dealer between services.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements