Switching to summer tires from A/S in Bay Area?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Switching to summer tires from A/S in Bay Area?

Hey guys,

Recently moved to Bay Area from the East coast and I've been thinking about switching from the stock P-zeros A/S on my R-Design to summer tires like the Pilot Sports that come as OEM fitment for the Polestar cars.

Having lived on the East coast for so long I actually haven't ever had summers on a car before so I have a few questions, especially for those running summers on an XC60:

I've read that they should be markedly different than A/S in grip, handling, noise, etc. but how much of a difference should I really expect in the driving experience?

For those in the Bay Area, any rationale for sticking with A/S over Summers? The only thing I can think of would be an occasional trip to Tahoe or somewhere else that has some snow, but that would be extremely infrequent.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions on this.
      2014 XC60 RD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

you'll love having summer tires. made the switch 4 years ago and haven't turned back. they do great in rain too which you get a lot more up in the bay than down here in so cal
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      you'll love having summer tires. made the switch 4 years ago and haven't turned back. they do great in rain too which you get a lot more up in the bay than down here in so cal
      Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, plus I'm planning on having the Heico suspension done fairly soon so the combination of the two could be great. The new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S seem like the right call and from early reviews handle rain and standing water better then previous versions.

Just trying to weigh out any options when having A/S would be the right call out here.
      Last edited by JMFangio; 05-07-2017 at 09:54 PM.
      2014 XC60 RD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Consider the latitude sport 3 as a summer option.I am very very pleased after a month of use
      2010 XC60 AWD 3.0 T6 Polestared

Quote Originally Posted by kire612002 View Post
      Consider the latitude sport 3 as a summer option.I am very very pleased after a month of use
      Thanks. For some reason, this tire didn't show up as an option on Tirerack IIRC. What made you choose it over the super sports? I see that it's designed for SUV fitment...
      2014 XC60 RD

It is designed for performance all wheel drives (originally for Porsche Macan) .A bit expensive but worth it, at least in my country that summer tyres are all year round.
      I surely feel more confident handling 310+ hp
      2010 XC60 AWD 3.0 T6 Polestared

Quote Originally Posted by JMFangio View Post
      Hey guys,
      The only thing I can think of would be an occasional trip to Tahoe or somewhere else that has some snow, but that would be extremely infrequent.
      Keep in mind that the A/S marking on the tires will allow you (with AWD) to get over California mountain passes without being required to install 'traction devices' at chain control stations. Consider some of the ultra high performance A/S tires.
      Dave, 2017 XC60 T5 AWD; previous: '04 XC70, '00 V70XC, '90 940T, '58 PV444

Thanks. For some reason, this tire didn't show up as an option on Tirerack IIRC. What made you choose it over the super sports? I see that it's designed for SUV fitment...

Found it...
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Quote Originally Posted by dlr97 View Post
      Keep in mind that the A/S marking on the tires will allow you (with AWD) to get over California mountain passes without being required to install 'traction devices' at chain control stations. Consider some of the ultra high performance A/S tires.
      Close, but not quite...
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
      A/S tires qualify as snow tires. In practice, on major highways like I80 and I5 Requirement R3 is almost never used (at least in my experience, nearly 50 years). The road is closed instead. So A/S + AWD gets you through almost always without traction devices.
      Dave, 2017 XC60 T5 AWD; previous: '04 XC70, '00 V70XC, '90 940T, '58 PV444

Quote Originally Posted by dlr97 View Post
      Thanks for the POV. So more for going skiing vs. everyday scenarios?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
      Yeah, it's listed as a performance SUV-specific or light truck summer, but did some digging and apparently it's OEM fitment on the Macan S and Macan Turbo...
      2014 XC60 RD

Quote Originally Posted by kire612002 View Post
      It is designed for performance all wheel drives (originally for Porsche Macan) .A bit expensive but worth it, at least in my country that summer tyres are all year round.
      I surely feel more confident handling 310+ hp
      Yeah, for some reason it's more expensive than the Super Sport 4S on Tirerack!
      2014 XC60 RD

Yeah, it's listed as a performance SUV-specific or light truck summer, but did some digging and apparently it's OEM fitment on the Macan S and Macan Turbo...

As is the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
      2006 V70R 6M

Summer tires will wear much faster than A/S's, especially with a near 4,500 lb AWD. Honestly I don't quite understand blowing through summer tires on a heavy SUV when some of the latest all season tires stick so well, have great rain traction, and last twice as long (especially the eco's). How fast do you need to corner with this lumbering rig? I prefer my tires reach their traction limit before the suv rolls-over...just me. Just get a solid set of all seasons for Goodness sake..LOL.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements