Backup cam / front DVR cam additions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thumbs up Backup cam / front DVR cam additions

Perhaps this has been discussed before in this forum but I will add to it so I can give a recent shout out to Volvotech, as they deserve it!

My MY12 XC60 RD was ordered with every possible option (including parking sensors), except the backup camera (not sure why people would order absolutely everything else including metallic paint and rear booster child seats, but not a backup camera).
      So when I bought this vehicle earlier this year I went to my Volvo dealer and asked how much it was to add the backup camera and what a shocker it was when they told me $1714 to buy the camera part, software and installation!
      Here is the Volvo link to the original Volvo part:
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...0AWD/Automatic

So I started looking around to find a solution. I did not want to install a mirror based backup camera or have another screen sitting atop my dash. I also didn't want to replace the stock unit.
      That's when I got turned on to Volvotech!
      I ordered this unit:
      https://www.volvotech.eu/xc60/xc60-m...sing-camera%5D

Volvotech was very quick to reply to all emails and the unit was sent to Canada quickly and minus the EU taxes that are on the page.
      Installation was not super easy. It was done by an experienced installer of cameras in vehicles but he had a tough time figuring out how the chip piggybacked on to the mainboard of the screen.
      After taking the screen out and apart, he figured out how to get it going. Also, one of the tough parts was getting the cables through the top of the tailgate wire pass, but he managed.
      The results are even better than I was expecting!
      I do lose the parking sensor screen but the audio for the sensors is enough for all intents and purposes.
      I am well over-joyed that the backup cam has steering wheel parking guidelines!

I also added a 1280x960 resolution front DVR camera because I was in an accident in another vehicle recently and didnt have video evidence that it was the other persons fault. Not anymore! I had the installer put it on the passenger side of the rear view mirror in order to be least intrusive to the drivers vision. (The pic is out of focus but you get the idea.)

I have posted a few pics of the process and the results.

Enjoy!

20170505_143014 by Shadows N Dust,

20170505_130645 by Shadows N Dust,

20170505_122452 by Shadows N Dust,

20170507_110810_HDR by Shadows N Dust,

20170507_110825_HDR by Shadows N Dust,

C360_2017-05-06-19-03-20-272 by Shadows N Dust,

Next addition will be the IDP Rear anti sway bar and the pCRV upgrade from Viva Performance
      2005 S40
      2010 C30 R Design
      2012 XC60 R Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice!!! Have been thinking of this for ours. What did it come to Canadian?
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Great work. I did the same with my 12. I also bought the front facing camera which mounts in the Volvo logo on the front grill. Volvotech does it right. One thing to add is if you turn on, I believe jumper 8 on the VBB unit, it will display the parking sensors and the rear view camera at the same time. Enjoy!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Nice!!! Have been thinking of this for ours. What did it come to Canadian?
      $541 inc shipping ...a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer!
      2005 S40
      2010 C30 R Design
      2012 XC60 R Design

Quote Originally Posted by svenvolvo View Post
      Great work. I did the same with my 12. I also bought the front facing camera which mounts in the Volvo logo on the front grill. Volvotech does it right. One thing to add is if you turn on, I believe jumper 8 on the VBB unit, it will display the parking sensors and the rear view camera at the same time. Enjoy!
      Ooooh great to know! Thx!
      2005 S40
      2010 C30 R Design
      2012 XC60 R Design

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder999 View Post
      $541 inc shipping ...a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer!
      Wow! That's a good price.

I have been testing out the Pearl Auto RearVision wireless, solar powered rear camera system. Install takes about 5 minutes plus an app download. This is a really slick product and the video quality is great! A smartphone sits nicely in front of the LCD screen of the XC60.

https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      I have been testing out the Pearl Auto RearVision wireless, solar powered rear camera system. Install takes about 5 minutes plus an app download. This is a really slick product and the video quality is great! A smartphone sits nicely in front of the LCD screen of the XC60.

Why so expensive?

[QUOTE=chris@swedespeed;5363922]I have been testing out the Pearl Auto RearVision wireless, solar powered rear camera system. Install takes about 5 minutes plus an app download. This is a really slick product and the video quality is great! A smartphone sits nicely in front of the LCD screen of the XC60.

Wouldn't that be super easy to steal for thieves?

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements