Car Shuts Off When Opening Drivers Door
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Car Shuts Off When Opening Drivers Door

I'm guessing this is for my convenience, but it's kind of annoying sometimes and I see it being annoying when I go to get the car washed.

If I stop, put the car in park, then open my driver's door, the engine shuts off and all electronics go off immediately as well. It takes a moment for the electronics to come back on (Sensus starts as if the car had been off for a while).

Is this supposed to be happening? Can I disable it somehow? Is it part of Auto Start/Stop?
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey bud, it is a part of auto start/stop. Turn off that feature and it will not happen again.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Thanks so much! I'd probably actually leave the feature on in my Individual profile if it wasn't for this.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If the engine is switched off by the driver and you open the driver door, the electronics and music is also shut off which is a bit annoying sometimes. The solution is to turn the starting nob without the foot on the break before opening the door and the electronics will stay on.
      Current: V90 D5 AWD Inscription MY17, Onyx black, nappa Amber/Charcoal, walnut, tech package, climate package, B&W etc.

Previous:BMW 520d Touring xDrive MY14

Quote Originally Posted by Gorban View Post
      If the engine is switched off by the driver and you open the driver door, the electronics and music is also shut off which is a bit annoying sometimes. The solution is to turn the starting nob without the foot on the break before opening the door and the electronics will stay on.
      On my BMW 335i, it's the opposite; I have to hit the Start/Stop button to turn the engine off and hit it again to turn off the electronics and music before I exit the car. Otherwise, the music will continue to play which is annoying since I leave the car unlocked in the garage. I believe I'll prefer the Volvo implementation since it's rare that I would exit the car and want the music to play.

One thing I'll miss from the BMW, when I turn off the engine, it automatically goes into park. I rarely use the shifter to put it in park (it's electronic, not physical location based like the Volvo).

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      One thing I'll miss from the BMW, when I turn off the engine, it automatically goes into park. I rarely use the shifter to put it in park (it's electronic, not physical location based like the Volvo).
      I absolutely hate the BMW shifters. I can not express this hatred enough in words.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I absolutely hate the BMW shifters. I can not express this hatred enough in words.
      Interesting. I can't argue against an opinion, but after nearly two years of 335i ownership, I rather like it for the simplicity; push to reverse, pull to drive, hit the engine stop button to park.

Good thing we have choices

I absolutely hate _all_ automatics. But I'm a mechanical engineer :^)

If you are going to have a crappy fly-by-wire control of your automatic, though, it should put you in park at the drop of the hat, unlike Fiat's poor implementation.
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      I absolutely hate _all_ automatics. But I'm a mechanical engineer :^)
      Hear Hear. My sentiments exactly.

And, I've managed somehow to pass this trait on to my kids, both of whom drive manual cars. Though its getting more difficult to actually find a stick these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sawitt View Post
      Hear Hear. My sentiments exactly.

And, I've managed somehow to pass this trait on to my kids, both of whom drive manual cars. Though its getting more difficult to actually find a stick these days.
      It's definitely hard to find manuals on dealership lots and in higher trims of vehicles, especially luxury cars. The only new non-performance luxury cars with a manual that I can think of right off the bat are the Audi A4 and BMW 3/4 series. On the non-luxury department you have to go with the performance version or a low end trim to get a manual.

Try this trick, which I use everyday when I am stopping at my streetside mailbox to check the mail before turning onto my driveway. Note: I have an XC90 but I assume the V90 will function the same.

Unbuckle your seatbelt BEFORE putting the car into P. That will allow you to open the door to get out without the car shutting itself off. I do this everyday and the car never shuts off while I pop out to check the mail.
      If you shift into P and then unbuckle, that will shut the car off when you open the door.

BTW jealous of your new V90! I love the V90s (and would have bought one if they had them on the dealer lots last summer )
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements