Tire Troubles
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Tire Troubles

Tire Troubles

Ok, I confess I'm a ex- subaru guy. I've had my 2015 V-60 though for 2 years and love it. But it eats through tires even though it's FWD! I used to get @ 70-80k miles on a set in my imprezas - seriously! I was wondering what you would suggest I go for next; I want to avoid a 3rd set of conti procontacts as they only seem to be good for @ 25k. My main concerns are longevity and low road noise. Performance would be nice but I'm no speed racer. I do need something that grips in rain and slush as I'm in the mid Atlantic. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Djp183 View Post
      Ok, I confess I'm a ex- subaru guy. I've had my 2015 V-60 though for 2 years and love it. But it eats through tires even though it's FWD! I used to get @ 70-80k miles on a set in my imprezas - seriously! I was wondering what you would suggest I go for next; I want to avoid a 3rd set of conti procontacts as they only seem to be good for @ 25k. My main concerns are longevity and low road noise. Performance would be nice but I'm no speed racer. I do need something that grips in rain and slush as I'm in the mid Atlantic. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!!
      Check out the pirelli p7 or pzero (not sure about the exact name right now). i have the all seasons on my vw passat now.

A quick review of Consumer Reports for H-rated tires with low noise and long tread life include the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and the Michelin Premier A/S (and both have low rolling resistance for good fuel economy). Both were top-rated for their combination of characteristics (looks like they both have decent winter traction).

The Pirellis are favorites on this board (I don't have them, so I have no personal opinion).

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm at 26k and the noise from the Conti procontacts is driving me nuts plus the wear bars are getting close to the surface. I'm probably going to go with the Michelin Premier A/S. I replaced the ultra crappy Bridgestones on our Camry Hybrid with the Michelin Premiers and it was like night and day.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

Thanks for the suggestions! With the premiers there is a 94V and a 94H. I know the V will perform better but won't it also wear faster? Although they both are warranteed for 60k..

Pirelli P7 A/S plus, V rating. The only difference between the H and the V is speed. They both have a 700 rating on tread wear. I just put them on mine and am pleasantly impressed with how quiet they are on the highway.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate Package | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon (mine)
      2006 S40 2.4i M56 | Barents Blue/T-Tec | Sports Package | Sunroof | OEM Tail | 3M Clearbra | Fogs | Parrot Mki9200 | K&N Air filter (sold to son)

I also had to get rid of the noisy Contis. I put quiet Michelin Primacy xmx4 tires on 27K ago and still have a lot of meat on them. Back when I researched them a few years ago Tire Rack said they did well in rain.

Oddly, the MKZ chewed through the xmx4, so I put Michelin Premier A/S hoops on that car for their longevity. After a couple of months I have no complaints about the A/S.

I have the same tires -- Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S V-speed rating -- treadware = 700 and I think the warranty is 70k miles (although I know realistically I'll get around 30k - 35k).

These tires don't handle as well as previous set on the car (another P7 variant only available in Europe), but since my daily commute doesn't involve a high-speed oval or handling course, I'm OK with their performance.

The P7 A/S is a quiet (low rolling resistance) tire... I can report later on tread life.

We got 50k out of our last set of Pirelli cinturato P7 Plus'. Great tire, quiet until the end.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Using Pirelli Cint. P7 Plus as well. A good all-around tire!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements