2013 XC60 Terrible Smell from ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2013 XC60 Terrible Smell from ?

My wife's XC60 got parked on Friday in our garage and on Monday afternoon it wreaked like rotten something. I managed to track down the source of the smell to some kind of fluid that had accumulated in the trunk underneath the spare. See picture. I can't for the life of me figure out how it got there. I checked the undercarriage and the engine compartment as much as possible but don't see any debris or dead animals. I cleaned it up and let it air out over night. This morning, no smell. I Drove it to work and left the windows up for a few hours and now the smell is back but there is no more fluid accumulation. I tried accelerating hard up a hill a few times to see if it could be coming from somewhere else and just accumulating in the trunk area but it's still dry.

Really struggling with this one because I can't tell where else the smell may be coming from or how that fluid got into the trunk compartment. It's greenish and smells like a cross between urine and trash.

Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got a cat or raccoon hiding in there?

Probably a dead mouse. I had 2 in the hatch of my boat. They popped through a train plug cap and got caught in a water pocket. Smelled so bad!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Man, not that I could tell. I got up in there as much as I could but didn't see anything.

Gotta be, right? None of the trunk upholstery was wet and I can't figure how that liquid, which could very well have been animal urine, got in there. Wife WAS backed up to a parking spot that bordered the woods that day so definitely a possibility.

If that drain plug is not seated completely it will allow water from the road to enter the trunk as you drive. I doubt that is urine as that critter would have to be pretty good size to leave that much behind. Probably just old stinky water that accumulated for months in the trunk.
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

Might be crazy, but that looks like a drinking straw in the lower left hand corner. Did someone spill a drink?

Good looking out but that's a zip tie that fell down there

I'll double check that, thanks!

Many people have reported water entering the cabin (usually around the A-pillar) either from a poor fitting of the tube connection or a clogged drain.

Can this happen at the C-pillar allowing water to enter the trunk?
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements