Oil really black after 5k
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Oil really black after 5k

So, I tried a new shop for my 15k services and I'm wondering if they totally scammed me. Kind of my own fault if I didn't check the oil after service, but maybe it's possible the oil is breaking down fast. He seemed fine with me bringing in my own Mobil 1 oil and filter, and I find it hard to believe he'd throw away repeat business, but maybe he would. I have some shudder/shimmy in the front brakes that he suggested could be hard spots on the discs, but he couldn't find the problem. He also suggested the 7.5k interval for oil was too long, so I shifted to 5k for two changes between the larger 15k intervals. After less than 5k, my oil looked really bad. The only other thing I noticed that was out of sorts was that I hadn't gotten the intake back in correctly when changing the IC hoses, so maybe the extra heat meant more stress on the oil at the turbo? I'm just glad this oil change was over the winter when at least it was cooler out.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen really broken down Mobil 1 in a short time?
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yes. after even 3-4k my motor oil (mobil1) can be quite dark. depends on how you drive (city/hills for me) but that's the oil's job...

previous owner followed the 7.5k miles intervals and needed the pcv replaced around 35k miles. i've had 2 subsequent well respected independents tell me better every 3-5k miles is best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

I've been worried about this pvc thing after reading about it but I've had no symptoms of it between 80-140k miles. Perhaps it was changed before I got it - now that I think about it, I should probably get the records from the dealer that sold it new and serviced it.

I've been doing 7500ish mile oil changes with mobile one 0/40 euro. I've not noticed my oil particularly funky though it does get dark at least by 5000. I have noticed that it uses virtually no oil for the first maybe 5000 miles but I might have to add a qt toward the end of that last 2500.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i think if you're doing mostly highway miles 7.5k is probably ok. i only do about 7.5k/year and they are in stop and go city followed by blasts up steep roads up to our place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Based on what I saw, I would advise that those who go 7500 miles between changes check at 5000. My oil was seriously black. I would guess it doesn't happen every time, but no way would I do another 2500 miles on that oil. Add to that the observation above that the level stayed good to 5000 then required a top up and it's no wonder there are PCV issues. I go about 7500-8000 per year.
      Last edited by dbphillips; 05-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
      2009 Polestar C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Volvo Strut bar, Volvo wind blocker, K&N, ECU Spacer, e-Focus torque mount, JBRacing RSB, Moog Mazdaspeed end links, 722908030 Porsche TCV, Silicone IC Hose Kit, Koni FSD, need to mount 31338475 IC. Next: downpipe, Rica stage 2.
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements