T6 and Fuel Octane - How much should I worry about 87 in the tank?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

T6 and Fuel Octane - How much should I worry about 87 in the tank?

For starters, the dealership I bought my car from puts a full tank of 87 in every car they deliver.

To make matters worse, the ****wit at the gas station I went to just filled it with 87 again.

I'm not used to having to watch carefully. My past Volvo cars have all been 87 required, 91 recommended. So if it got filled with 87, oh well.

I just realized that 91 isn't just recommended in the manual for this car, it says "Volvo requires premium fuel (91 octane or above) for best performance."

No mention of 87 or even 89 being "okay."

Should I be worried at all about going through two tanks of regular? I assume they just took the 87 part out because it's not ideal, but more importantly what can I do about it at this point?
      Last edited by matt1122; 05-10-2017 at 05:44 PM.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've used octane boosters a few times in other brands (Audi and VW) when low octane fuel was accidentally put in my car. I assume these pint bottles are still sold. I think they used to cost about 5 bucks
      Last edited by Mr Timewise; 05-10-2017 at 07:09 PM.

5,400 posts and you're making fuel octane threads?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Octane booster doesn't really do anything. If it doesn't mix well with the fuel before entering the line it can even cause problems like stall outs. If it does, you're talking a miniscule increase in average octane. Like .1 or .2 or .3 RON.

And volvohutter, I believe it's a legitimate concern given there is an ongoing thread in the 60-series forum about possible knock issues with the Drive-E T5 on the older EMS.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

I thought these engines had a knock sensor, which should prevent engine damage if detonation starts, as I'm sure you know. You might lose some power but the engine should be protected. Not that it isn't very annoying to have a couple of tanks of regular. Very surprised the dealership would put regular in a car requiring premium, though its nice of them to give you a tank of gas. Do you still have full service gas stations in NJ? I can't remember the last time I saw a full service station out west here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      I've used octane boosters a few times in other brands (Audi and VW) when low octane fuel was accidentally put in my car. I assume these pint bottles are still sold. I think they used to cost about 5 bucks
      They are not recommended to use on a Volvo.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Matt, not ideal scenarios but try to go through 1/4 tank, fill up with 93. Then, go 1/2 tank and fill up with 93. After the 3rd or 4th fill up you will be OK.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by sawitt View Post
      I thought these engines had a knock sensor, which should prevent engine damage if detonation starts, as I'm sure you know. You might lose some power but the engine should be protected. Not that it isn't very annoying to have a couple of tanks of regular. Very surprised the dealership would put regular in a car requiring premium, though its nice of them to give you a tank of gas. Do you still have full service gas stations in NJ? I can't remember the last time I saw a full service station out west here.
      They do, but knock sensors work for a steady load and there's still a risk of damage during transient periods if the engine is in fact tuned for 91 and above only.

Another 200 miles of babying it.

Just wish I could have peace of mind that this is no worse than putting 87 in a P3 car.

We do have full service stations in NJ, and only full service stations. You're technically not supposed to pump your own gas. Oh well, now I know to watch carefully.

Washington State has the same silly requirement. I was surprised when I heard about it. I knew NJ didn't let you pump your own gas but WA doesn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrosheen View Post
      Washington State has the same silly requirement. I was surprised when I heard about it. I knew NJ didn't let you pump your own gas but WA doesn't either.
      Er, your source you heard it from is misinformed. Who says you're not allowed to pump your own gas in WA state? I live in WA state and have never seen a full-service gas station here in the greater Seattle area (or even along the I-5 corridor from Oregon to the Canadian border). Everybody has to get out and pump their own gas here.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

FWIW, the manual from a Swedish 2014 XC70 says "Most engines can run on 95 and 98 RON. 91 RON should only be used as an exception.". I tried converting it and 91, 95 and 98 RON should be equivalent to 87, 91 and 94 for you. So I'd run the tank down as much as you dare and then refill it with whatever you normally use. If it really bothers you, take it on a long roadtrip and try hypermiling it. Go have lunch somewhere far away or something
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Oregon does not allow a person to pump their own gas. For some reason, when driving between CA/WA/CA, I just hate having someone do this for me. It is not logical. I know.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar;
      2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid;
      2004 VW Phaeton V8 (soon to be sold)

Washington definitely doesn't have any requirement for pumping gas. For my whole life living here I've always had to pump my own gas.

I've actually gotten 3/4 of a tank of 93 in now and performance is slowly starting to improve. Engine responsiveness is noticeably faster, and the pull is a little harder. Volvo says it may take some time for the engine to adapt to the higher octane and start making full power and torque, which suggests to me that the timing advancement is very carefully done, making the 87 octane no real risk in the short term.

My bad, maybe it's Oregon. I get Portland and Seattle confused.

Just remember that Portland is the one in Maine...

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements