2007 Volvo v50 Oil Leak by Filter Housing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2007 Volvo v50 Oil Leak by Filter Housing

Hello all,

I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and thought I did it correctly, however I noticed a pool of oil on my garage floor. I started the car and found there is a slow but steady oil leak by the housing.When looking at the engine bay from the top down, it appears to run from the side of the housing (the side that faces the engine/cabin) and runs down to the right. I hand tightened the housing cap, but do these filter housings require torque to a certain amount? I will check the o-ring location after work to make sure its in the right place, but any other suggestions of what it could be? If the housing is loose, wouldn't the leak be noticed immediately after the oil change? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Urbexerik View Post
      Hello all,

I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and thought I did it correctly, however I noticed a pool of oil on my garage floor. I started the car and found there is a slow but steady oil leak by the housing.When looking at the engine bay from the top down, it appears to run from the side of the housing (the side that faces the engine/cabin) and runs down to the right. I hand tightened the housing cap, but do these filter housings require torque to a certain amount? I will check the o-ring location after work to make sure its in the right place, but any other suggestions of what it could be? If the housing is loose, wouldn't the leak be noticed immediately after the oil change? Any thoughts are appreciated.
      The cap requires a torque of 25nm IIRC. The torque is written on the cap. As you mentionned, a lot of people make the mistake to put the oring in the last groove which is incorrect. Start by checking this.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

+1 for the O-ring position. Whatever you do, don't overtighten. I made that mistake when I saw a bit of spillage on the driveway; ended up expanding the O-ring enough to let the oil seep past. Not a good setup for the wife who's sitting in rush hour traffic the next day and suddenly the idiot light comes on, with limited ability to get to the shoulder and shut down.😣. New engine's been running fine, though.😝

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Urbexerik View Post
      Hello all,

You can't hand tighten the oil filter cap - you need to use a ratchet with an oil filter socket to tighten. As mentioned above, don't over tighten it, but I doubt you got it tight enough by hand. Also make sure the o ring is in the right spot.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

It was the o ring, it slipped up the cap. Adjusted and tightened cap with a ratchet.

Wait where *should* the oring be?

2nd groove. As pictured.

Last edited by pczeilon; 05-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Are you showing the correct location here, or the wrong one? As I recall the seal really only fits well in one spot.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      2nd groove. Common mistake.

This is the correct location. Trust me. I made the mistake and it dumped the oil and threw a rod with no warning. Whole new engine. 2nd groove!

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

+1

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      This is the correct location. Trust me. I made the mistake and it dumped the oil and threw a rod with no warning. Whole new engine. 2nd groove!

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      that seems really off, it looks like it'll sit correctly on the bottom grooves

No, it's the second groove (actually a channel deeper than the threads -- obvious when you see it without the gasket). I plan to change the oil on my '06 tomorrow. Will snap a couple of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
      that seems really off, it looks like it'll sit correctly on the bottom grooves
      I 2nd guessed myself thinking the same thing, and $5600 later I learned that lesson.

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      I 2nd guessed myself thinking the same thing, and $5600 later I learned that lesson.

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      i better check my filter then, i have an oil leak and i'm not sure from where. i'd assume this is the culprit then

If you look at the aluminum housing you will see why. It has quite a large chamfer to guide the ring in without binding. This is why it leaks so bad if you use the last groove. Totally agree that Volvo could have molded the cap differently to avoid any confusion.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Meh, it's an o-ring, not a gasket. Makes perfect sense that it should be on that groove IMO. That oil filter-housing/ crankcase ventilation has other issues that are more serious though. (That stupid membrane).

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements