Google partners with Audi and Volvo for Android-based infotainment systems
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Google partners with Audi and Volvo for Android-based infotainment systems

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If it makes having Waze available within Sensus more of a reality, I'm all for it.

It does sound interesting though, glad to see Volvo making so many moves to keep them fresh and current with new technologies coming out.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

Whoa, that article shows a rendering of Google Maps built-in for Sensus! That's huge.

I've made due with the standard nav, and even Apple maps (via CarPlay) once in a while, but Google is the undisputed king. I hope MY16 owners are included with this upgrade.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yet new Volvo vehicles don't have Android Auto... So weird.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      Uh, mine does...
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription
      Twilight Bronze w/ Amber Napa Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
      Whoa, that article shows a rendering of Google Maps built-in for Sensus! That's huge.

I've made due with the standard nav, and even Apple maps (via CarPlay) once in a while, but Google is the undisputed king. I hope MY16 owners are included with this upgrade.
      To set expectations, I imagine an endeavor of this magnitude would exclude prior model years. Probably a whole different SoC running the software than what we currently have.

Sounds interesting and doesn't surprise me.

I agree with the Waze integration. On navigation guided trips I will usually have Waze running on my phone or small tablet in conjunction with the built in nav system. I really like the ability to know about possible speed traps and traffic incidents along my route.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      To set expectations, I imagine an endeavor of this magnitude would exclude prior model years. Probably a whole different SoC running the software than what we currently have.
      The cool thing about this is, when implemented, we can take advantage of OTA updates to the infotainment system which now makes sense. All of the material (OS, maps and apps--which should take advantage of Google's incremental update framework) will be current. Sensus appears to be somewhat a prototype to work out the kinks for Android Infotainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus-Osmium Gray/Amber (OSD-June 2017): Climate |Convenience| Vision| Polestar| 20" Wheel Package| Lighted Running Boards
      2017 GMC Yukon XL-Champagne: Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Cross Traffic Alert, Blu-Ray DVD, 20" Aluminum Wheels, (DW's car)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
      If it makes having Waze available within Sensus more of a reality, I'm all for it.

It does sound interesting though, glad to see Volvo making so many moves to keep them fresh and current with new technologies coming out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post

This definitely answers the question I had posed about why doesn't any manufacturer use Google Maps in another thread where someone was complaining about the Sensus nav system. The answer is apparently that they're working on it. To date such implementations have only been an overlay where road and POI data was still from a company like Here but Google visuals were overlaid. Now an actual Google Android-powered system is in the works. Apple better get their stuff in gear to compete on this front of the ecosystem wars.

It would be fantastic to get access to android apps natively but I wonder how this could potentially impact Apple Carplay licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by nukztar View Post
      It would be fantastic to get access to android apps natively but I wonder how this could potentially impact Apple Carplay licensing.
      The article stated that CarPlay will work with this as well. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus-Osmium Gray/Amber (OSD-June 2017): Climate |Convenience| Vision| Polestar| 20" Wheel Package| Lighted Running Boards
      2017 GMC Yukon XL-Champagne: Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Cross Traffic Alert, Blu-Ray DVD, 20" Aluminum Wheels, (DW's car)

It would be amazing to have Google Play apps run on Sensus. Even having a special App Store like Samsung's Galaxy Apps where they integrate it into the HUD would be amazing.

Sign me up for aircon widgets

Quote Originally Posted by jonbreweratx View Post
      Uh, mine does...
      Really? I looked around on the Internet a few months ago and didn't see any mention of Android Auto.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

Uh, mine does...
      Really? I looked around on the Internet a few months ago and didn't see any mention of Android Auto.
      MY17 has android auto. Mine does. I have no use for it, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kh0805 View Post
      MY17 has android auto. Mine does. I have no use for it, but it's there.
      Also, they are hopefully still working on making Android Auto available to MY16 owners and MY17 owners with the single USB port. There was some hope that this month's Sensus update might address that but apparently not.

MY 2017 does have them. I have a MY 2017 and only have 1 USB but another 2017 parked next to mine at the dealer had the 2 USB option. It is based on whatever package Android Auto/Apple Car Play is offered on. Good to see Audi/Volvo moving forward.
      3/2017 Savile Grey T6 Momentum+
      95 E36 M3, QX60, 2013 Pathfinder, 94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 94 Supra TT Auto

Is this what it will look like? I believe that this is the Chrysler 300 they refer to when they said that there was a sneak peak of it at CES...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpYzgryOiS8

Here is a slightly different article discussing Volvo and Android OS. Interesting read

https://www.slashgear.com/volvo-is-u...stem-15485092/

"A preview of their systems will be on display at Google I/O this week, from Wednesday May 17 through Friday May 19. If you are attending in person, see you there! If not, tune into the livestream of our session on May 17 at 2pm PT to learn more."

https://blog.google/products/android...wered-android/
      Last edited by dzig; 05-15-2017 at 01:59 PM.
      2017 XC90 T6 R-Design (Bursting Blue Metallic) Bowers & Wilkins, Carbon Fiber Inlays, Climate, Convenience, Vision l Air Susp l Polestar
      Summer Performance: 22" alloy wheels (5-double spoke, matte black), Winter A/S: 20" alloy wheels (5-spoke, matte black)

??? It is present on new Volvos...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Uh, mine does...
      My 2016 doesn't and apparently won't
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PAII | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16

Another interesting tidbit I found on CNet:

Volvo users won't have to wait until the next generation of Sensus Connect to take advantage of this partnership. Volvo will add Google Local Search to its slate of current cars equipped with Sensus Navigation through an update.
      Source: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/y...inment-system/

So, they're not committing to bring this to current gen equipment but at least some portion of the relationship will come through.

Quote Originally Posted by m95c View Post
      MY 2017 does have them. I have a MY 2017 and only have 1 USB but another 2017 parked next to mine at the dealer had the 2 USB option. It is based on whatever package Android Auto/Apple Car Play is offered on. Good to see Audi/Volvo moving forward.
      Curious when your MY2017 with one USB port was built? (From the date on the door panel...)

MY2017 T8 was built June 2016 and has two USB ports.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3/17

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      3/2017 Savile Grey T6 Momentum+
      95 E36 M3, QX60, 2013 Pathfinder, 94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 94 Supra TT Auto

Hope it's not the typical Google vaporware.

Makes sense that the tech guys will eventually build the whole thing - the most powerful companies are all the ones writing the OSes.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      Curious when your MY2017 with one USB port was built? (From the date on the door panel...)

MY2017 T8 was built June 2016 and has two USB ports.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      The two-port USB hub is actually still an option on some models. T5 and T6 Momentums w/o the Momentum Plus package come standard with the single port, I believe.

It will be so cool to have a system with google maps and google assistant built in. I have always dreamt of such a system. I hope google assistant replaces the whole good for nothing voice recognition system. Can't wait for the I/O demo.

Here is an article with a video..

https://paultan.org/2017/05/16/volvo...-infotainment/

A little off topic but I would also love to have Volvo on Call app connect with Google home/ Amazon Alexa for things like remote starting/ locking/ unlocking using voice commands. Mercedes enabled this functionality last month...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/1...xa-google-home
      XC90 MY2017, Magic Blue Inscription with Climate, Convenience, Vision and HUD

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Frankly disappointing with regards to the requirements that Google imposes on auto manufacturers that sign away their rights. It's actually fascinating that Audi has supported Android Auto and dives in deeper when Porsche by comparison had vowed not to succumb given the onerous requirements. For the "privilege" of offering AA, one thing manufacturers must agree to is provide all available telemetry to Google of each vehicle using their tech. This is actually a main reason Porsche opted not to offer AA. Think about it, to a large extent it reveals the secret sauce for a company like Porsche. They value their customers too much to disclose details about how their cars are used, where, when, services, etc. Particularly to a company that may one day be competing against them for the same customers.

http://mashable.com/2015/10/06/2017-.../#qIhnAjMo3sqr

http://www.motortrend.com/news/13-co...7-porsche-911/

I just hope that it's not a requirement for any vehicle (or at least how Volvo hopefully secured/negotiated terms with Google) that contains AA and only to report on owners' vehicles that activate AA. Particularly when we don't even have access to the data our vehicles generate as we use them - yet Google does/will.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 05-16-2017 at 12:40 AM.
      2001 V40 1.9T - OSD (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      New XC90 T8 R-Design AWD - OSD (Summer 2017 Delivery Confirmed)

The 2017 Porsche PCM system does offer CarPlay.
      I thought I was going to like CarPlay since we are all iDevices but I find it hampered by the screen incompatibility between the vehicle and IDevice display, so only a limited set of Apps are offered with no ability to download anything else aka WAZE.
      WAZE runs on my iPhone mounted on a T-Design holder in the Porsche.
      The PCM screen appears to be Google Earth based and requires a $10/month AT&T hookup and charge for which you get dynamic reroute and other goodies. A new suite of vehicle based Apps (Porsche Connect) has just been downloaded onto my 2017 Porsche giving me direct access to weather and a number of other features. Free for one year.
      If you don't pay the $10/month hookup after 3 months free, you can use your phone as a HotSpot to get Data but the Data doesn;t support dynamic reroute as I found out the hard way.
      The previous PCM was so bad that I did not pay for it on my 2013 Porsche but for 2017, I had no choice as it came standard.
      But it is now brilliant!
      Except for using a USB connection to play music from my iPhone rather than BlueTooth, one can throw away any and all CarPlay features as the Porsche PCM does it better.
      After reading all the problems with Sensus, I have serious doubts about purchasing a new Volvo and now that it appears Volvo is acknowledging the Sensus problems by switching to Google Android, I will probably wait until this is introduced so I can make a comparison between Volvo and Porsche.
      I don't know where Porsche gets thier data from to support thier PCM and Porsche Connect but it is good.-Richard
      2011 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
      2003 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His, Fallen Apart, rehabbed 11/16!
      1999 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-Granddaughter
      2013 Porsche Boxster Mexico Blue
      2017 Porsche C4S Carmine Red ContiWinterContact

Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
      I don't know where Porsche gets thier data from to support thier PCM and Porsche Connect but it is good.-Richard
      I would not be surprised if it's Here supplying the map data due to the sibling relationship to Audi which is a part owner of Here along with BMW and Daimler. But I don't know for sure.

I'm still learning Porsche Connect but from the Porsche website about Connect Services,
      "To provide a better overview, GOOGLE® Earth displays your navigation maps in a 3D satellite view. You can also explore your destination area using GOOGLE® Earth even before setting out on your trip".
      I thought it looked like Google Earth and now I know.
      There are currntly 13 different services offered through Porsche Connect that were downloaded to my vehicle last Wednesday and I am working my way through them.
      https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...n_infotainment
      Price is $155/yr with first year free if your vehicle had Connect Plus.
      A word about Security.
      Porsche Car Connect (totally different than Porsche Connect) uses an undocumented SIM to provide Safety and Security Services supporting an iPhone App that alows one to monitor the vehicle and its parameters as well as activate some functions.. A Security Center monitors the car and will assist Law Enforcement in recovery with preventing the vehicle from starting and GPS location.
      Since LOJACK is not available in Wisconsin, I activated this and other Services.
      I am quite pleased with the technology in this vehicle.
      -Richard
      Last edited by budrichard; 05-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.
      2011 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
      2003 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His, Fallen Apart, rehabbed 11/16!
      1999 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-Granddaughter
      2013 Porsche Boxster Mexico Blue
      2017 Porsche C4S Carmine Red ContiWinterContact

A Google Local search download popped up on my downloads list today. It just finished downloading when I got to the garage so I didn't get a chance to test it. Looks like the relationship is already bearing fruit.

Google Local Search came up on mine yesterday. Have no installed it and do not know if I will. Not something i would use while driving so do not see the need for it. But it did not take long for new software to come out of the new relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Frankly disappointing with regards to the requirements that Google imposes on auto manufacturers that sign away their rights. It's actually fascinating that Audi has supported Android Auto and dives in deeper when Porsche by comparison had vowed not to succumb given the onerous requirements. For the "privilege" of offering AA, one thing manufacturers must agree to is provide all available telemetry to Google of each vehicle using their tech. This is actually a main reason Porsche opted not to offer AA. Think about it, to a large extent it reveals the secret sauce for a company like Porsche. They value their customers too much to disclose details about how their cars are used, where, when, services, etc. Particularly to a company that may one day be competing against them for the same customers.

http://mashable.com/2015/10/06/2017-.../#qIhnAjMo3sqr

http://www.motortrend.com/news/13-co...7-porsche-911/

I just hope that it's not a requirement for any vehicle (or at least how Volvo hopefully secured/negotiated terms with Google) that contains AA and only to report on owners' vehicles that activate AA. Particularly when we don't even have access to the data our vehicles generate as we use them - yet Google does/will.
      In the Bloomberg article I posted, it does state that "Google [is] not taking any critical vehicle tracking information with the new system." I don't know what this means exactly and if it would allay Porsche's fears of their secret sauce performance data being protected or not.

I have just installed the new Google App. Well, not new, because it showed up in the "Update existing apps", not under the "New apps" section. It looks great, it is a POI database, with mapping capabilities, but when you click on the bottom to navigate to that place, it opens the normal navigation system.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast