SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Google partners with Audi and Volvo for Android-based infotainment systems

5K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  Timujin 
#1 ·
#2 ·
If it makes having Waze available within Sensus more of a reality, I'm all for it. :D

It does sound interesting though, glad to see Volvo making so many moves to keep them fresh and current with new technologies coming out.

#9 ·
If it makes having Waze available within Sensus more of a reality, I'm all for it. :D

It does sound interesting though, glad to see Volvo making so many moves to keep them fresh and current with new technologies coming out.
Whoa, that article shows a rendering of Google Maps built-in for Sensus! That's huge.

I've made due with the standard nav, and even Apple maps (via CarPlay) once in a while, but Google is the undisputed king. I hope MY16 owners are included with this upgrade.
This definitely answers the question I had posed about why doesn't any manufacturer use Google Maps in another thread where someone was complaining about the Sensus nav system. The answer is apparently that they're working on it. To date such implementations have only been an overlay where road and POI data was still from a company like Here but Google visuals were overlaid. Now an actual Google Android-powered system is in the works. Apple better get their stuff in gear to compete on this front of the ecosystem wars.

#3 ·
Whoa, that article shows a rendering of Google Maps built-in for Sensus! That's huge.

I've made due with the standard nav, and even Apple maps (via CarPlay) once in a while, but Google is the undisputed king. I hope MY16 owners are included with this upgrade.

#6 ·

To set expectations, I imagine an endeavor of this magnitude would exclude prior model years. Probably a whole different SoC running the software than what we currently have.

#7 ·
Sounds interesting and doesn't surprise me.

I agree with the Waze integration. On navigation guided trips I will usually have Waze running on my phone or small tablet in conjunction with the built in nav system. I really like the ability to know about possible speed traps and traffic incidents along my route.

#11 ·
The article stated that CarPlay will work with this as well. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Another interesting tidbit I found on CNet:

Volvo users won't have to wait until the next generation of Sensus Connect to take advantage of this partnership. Volvo will add Google Local Search to its slate of current cars equipped with Sensus Navigation through an update.
Source: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...-may-have-android-in-its-infotainment-system/

So, they're not committing to bring this to current gen equipment but at least some portion of the relationship will come through.

#25 ·
Hope it's not the typical Google vaporware.

Makes sense that the tech guys will eventually build the whole thing - the most powerful companies are all the ones writing the OSes.

#27 ·
It will be so cool to have a system with google maps and google assistant built in. I have always dreamt of such a system. I hope google assistant replaces the whole good for nothing voice recognition system. Can't wait for the I/O demo.

Here is an article with a video..

https://paultan.org/2017/05/16/volvo-teams-up-with-google-for-next-gen-infotainment/

A little off topic but I would also love to have Volvo on Call app connect with Google home/ Amazon Alexa for things like remote starting/ locking/ unlocking using voice commands. Mercedes enabled this functionality last month...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15385232/mercedes-benz-amazon-echo-alexa-google-home

#28 · (Edited)
Frankly disappointing with regards to the requirements that Google imposes on auto manufacturers that sign away their rights. It's actually fascinating that Audi has supported Android Auto and dives in deeper when Porsche by comparison had vowed not to succumb given the onerous requirements. For the "privilege" of offering AA, one thing manufacturers must agree to is provide all available telemetry to Google of each vehicle using their tech. This is actually a main reason Porsche opted not to offer AA. Think about it, to a large extent it reveals the secret sauce for a company like Porsche. They value their customers too much to disclose details about how their cars are used, where, when, services, etc. Particularly to a company that may one day be competing against them for the same customers.

http://mashable.com/2015/10/06/2017-porsche-911-android-auto/#qIhnAjMo3sqr

http://www.motortrend.com/news/13-cool-facts-about-the-2017-porsche-911/

I just hope that it's not a requirement for any vehicle (or at least how Volvo hopefully secured/negotiated terms with Google) that contains AA and only to report on owners' vehicles that activate AA. Particularly when we don't even have access to the data our vehicles generate as we use them - yet Google does/will.

#34 ·
In the Bloomberg article I posted, it does state that "Google [is] not taking any critical vehicle tracking information with the new system." I don't know what this means exactly and if it would allay Porsche's fears of their secret sauce performance data being protected or not.

#29 ·
The 2017 Porsche PCM system does offer CarPlay.
I thought I was going to like CarPlay since we are all iDevices but I find it hampered by the screen incompatibility between the vehicle and IDevice display, so only a limited set of Apps are offered with no ability to download anything else aka WAZE.
WAZE runs on my iPhone mounted on a T-Design holder in the Porsche.
The PCM screen appears to be Google Earth based and requires a $10/month AT&T hookup and charge for which you get dynamic reroute and other goodies. A new suite of vehicle based Apps (Porsche Connect) has just been downloaded onto my 2017 Porsche giving me direct access to weather and a number of other features. Free for one year.
If you don't pay the $10/month hookup after 3 months free, you can use your phone as a HotSpot to get Data but the Data doesn;t support dynamic reroute as I found out the hard way.
The previous PCM was so bad that I did not pay for it on my 2013 Porsche but for 2017, I had no choice as it came standard.
But it is now brilliant!
Except for using a USB connection to play music from my iPhone rather than BlueTooth, one can throw away any and all CarPlay features as the Porsche PCM does it better.
After reading all the problems with Sensus, I have serious doubts about purchasing a new Volvo and now that it appears Volvo is acknowledging the Sensus problems by switching to Google Android, I will probably wait until this is introduced so I can make a comparison between Volvo and Porsche.
I don't know where Porsche gets thier data from to support thier PCM and Porsche Connect but it is good.-Richard

#31 · (Edited)
I'm still learning Porsche Connect but from the Porsche website about Connect Services,
"To provide a better overview, GOOGLE® Earth displays your navigation maps in a 3D satellite view. You can also explore your destination area using GOOGLE® Earth even before setting out on your trip".
I thought it looked like Google Earth and now I know.
There are currntly 13 different services offered through Porsche Connect that were downloaded to my vehicle last Wednesday and I am working my way through them.
https://connect-store.porsche.com/u...ent-services/p/bundle_navigation_infotainment
Price is $155/yr with first year free if your vehicle had Connect Plus.
A word about Security.
Porsche Car Connect (totally different than Porsche Connect) uses an undocumented SIM to provide Safety and Security Services supporting an iPhone App that alows one to monitor the vehicle and its parameters as well as activate some functions.. A Security Center monitors the car and will assist Law Enforcement in recovery with preventing the vehicle from starting and GPS location.
Since LOJACK is not available in Wisconsin, I activated this and other Services.
I am quite pleased with the technology in this vehicle.
-Richard

#35 ·
I have just installed the new Google App. Well, not new, because it showed up in the "Update existing apps", not under the "New apps" section. It looks great, it is a POI database, with mapping capabilities, but when you click on the bottom to navigate to that place, it opens the normal navigation system.

#37 ·
More to think about implications of where this leads Source: Radio Free Mobile - http://www.radiofreemobile.com/google-auto-greek-gift-pt-ii/

Tinkering with Android for cars is a dangerous game.
  • Ahead of its developer conference, Google i/o, Google has demonstrated another version of Android that will be able of running many more aspects of the car beyond infotainment.
  • While Android Auto is limited in terms of what it can do and the data that it can access, this version of Android for the car is much more deeply embedded.
  • As a result, I think it will have access to everything as the infotainment unit is the nerve centre of the vehicle where the 4 data networks in the car (CAN bus) meet.
  • This means that Google services such as Maps, Search and Assistant will be fully embedded in the car enabling these services to be far more contextual and relevant.
  • It also raises the possibility that Google will be able to suck all of the data out of the car, robbing the OEMs of one the most important pieces of exclusivity that they have.
  • Audi and Volvo have signed up to use this software which will be demonstrated on the Q8 and the V90 SUVs at Google i/o this week.
The two most important issues are:
First, Code control: Who is in control of this code is crucial to the outlook for the OEMs.
  • From the presentation, I get the impression that the manufacturers are nominally in control of the Android code going into their cars but I seriously doubt that they have done the implementation themselves.
  • This was most likely done by their tier 1 suppliers or even Google itself.
  • While this means that the OEMs will have control over software updates and feature releases, there are almost certainly going to be hooks in the code that Google can still use.
Second, Google agreements: If the OEMs have a similar relationship with Google that the handset makers do, it is important to understand what the OEMs have agreed to.
  • Google controls Android through its agreements with the handset makers and given that the OEMs are getting Google services deeply embedded in their systems, something similar is likely to be demanded by Google.
  • Parts of those agreements are likely to include aspects of user interface design as well as the sharing of data.
  • I view this software as a replacement for the OEM designed software that resides in the head unit of the vehicle.
  • Android Auto and Car Play run on top of the OEM software but have limited access to the rest of the system.
  • This is likely to be the same such that CarPlay will still run as before but Android Auto will obviously be obsolete.
  • Google has said that the new software will not be draining the vehicle of data but I suspect that Google is referring to how the software behaves as it leaves the factory.
  • Once it is in the hands of the user and he has agreed to a pop message requesting access to data to improve Google services, the reality could be very different.
  • Sharing this data will make Google services on other devices better for the user but critically, this is the data that the OEM needs to hang onto in order to differentiate itself in all things digital in the car.
  • This is the risk of deploying software that has not been written in-house as the reality is that the OEMs will have no real idea about what they are deploying on what is becoming the most strategically important part of the vehicle.
  • Tesla and BMW are the only ones that seem to understand the importance of this which is why they are the only OEMs I know of that write their own code.
  • Google has everything to gain and little to lose by helping OEMs use Android instead of their in-house software which is exactly why OEMs need to look in minute detail at this gift before letting it into their holy of holies.

#38 ·
No offence to anyone but if we are so concerned about privacy and all we should stay away from connected cars and for that matter even smart phones. And if the future belongs to connected cars then I would like the giants like google and apple to play a bigger role and help OEMs design the software for better integration of their already available superior services like maps and virtual assistants. I find it awkward that a $500 smartphone can do a better job at navigation/ local search/ voice assistance/ availabilty of applications than the OEM software of a $60-70 K car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#39 ·
No offence to anyone but if we are so concerned about privacy and all we should stay away from connected cars and for that matter even smart phones. And if the future belongs to connected cars then I would like the giants like google and apple to play a bigger role and help OEMs design the software for better integration of their already available superior services like maps and virtual assistants.
I disagree, wholeheartedly. You seem to be saying that the price of connectedness is loss of privacy and that's silly.
Google and Apple are vastly different in how your data is processed, stored and used.

#44 ·
Thanks for posting. Looks farther along than I expected. Looks like they're just swapping out the underlying OS without changing the overall Sensus UI significantly.

The Google Assistant feature looks like it should be very useful once they've got the bugs worked out.

#58 ·
I’ve been cursed with the Google implementation in my 2023 XC60 recharge. Predictably, the map is awesome. But that’s where the awesomeness ends. They took away SO MANY features that used to be in Sensus. Simple and expected things like an energy use graph. I can’t even see my instantaneous mpg! And this is a $65,000 vehicle. Absolutely ridiculous. I didn’t even think to check for stuff like this during my test drives because it’s so obvious that it should be there.