CV Boot Ripped...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

CV Boot Ripped...

The inner CV joint ripped while I was doing the front strut job on my ole' S40. The boot now has a small rip right near where it meets the axle, next to the small clamp. It shat out a bunch of grease.

The other side was also dry rotted in the same spot, but I managed to not rip it.

How long does it usually take for these things to go bad?
      Would an aftermarket axle survive long enough to trade the car in?

No way in hell I'm spending $500 on a vulvo axle... I'll probably only keep the car for another year or so.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you pull the axel find a shop to re boot it. Aftermarket cheap Chinese axel might last you a year or so till you trade in.

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Rebooting is pretty easy and cost effective if you're a DIY'er. Around 20$ for a non-OEM kit and about $60 for OE last I checked. There's a good write-up in the stickies.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      Rebooting is pretty easy and cost effective if you're a DIY'er. Around 20$ for a non-OEM kit and about $60 for OE last I checked. There's a good write-up in the stickies.
      I read the guide. Looks like you need a fair amount of tools that I dont have.

Hmm. Crimp clamp tool (with cutter), snap ring pliers, rubber mallet, and everything to get the axle out is all I needed. That does seem like a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      Hmm. Crimp clamp tool (with cutter), snap ring pliers, rubber mallet, and everything to get the axle out is all I needed. That does seem like a lot!
      Theres a puller-press thing to get the star thing off.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
      Theres a puller-press thing to get the star thing off.
      Ah, right. I used a windshield wiper arm/battery terminal puller there.

I've used a brass drift successfully when a press wasn't available. It's not on very tight. Since your boot just tore there is no need to remove the needle bearings. Wrap the tripod in a clean cloth or similar if you use the drift method or the vibration may cause one of the lobes to exit making the job much harder than it needs to be.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      I've used a brass drift successfully when a press wasn't available. It's not on very tight. Since your boot just tore there is no need to remove the needle bearings. Wrap the tripod in a clean cloth or similar if you use the drift method or the vibration may cause one of the lobes to exit making the job much harder than it needs to be.
      Perhaps a question for your knowledge, pcz - when I rebooted my inner passenger CV joint last summer, it was an original part with press-fit rollers on ball ends - no needle bearings. The inner lip of the cup was also peened to prevent the tripod from overextending and slipping out. Made it quite a pain since I wasn't planning on that.

How many revisions of the CV axles are there? AW55 in particular
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

Interesting. Obviously at least 2.
      Honestly don't know for sure. You could spend sometime with the parts book but even that wouldn't be reliable. Numbers can change for a wide variety of reasons. A peened cup lip would not be pleasant...
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements