SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Project "Daily Driven" 1999 V70 2.4 N/A Auto

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SethMarshallAllen 
#1 ·
So, I picked up a 99 V70 2.4 NA Automatic, has just shy of 201k on it. It's about the filthiest clean used Volvo ever if that makes sense.
I purchased it from an old lady and her husband in a small town in Western Massachusetts (If you're local, you'll know the type). It's been maintained, but only at the bare minimum. Timing belt will need to be taken care of within the next few thousand miles. (Last done at 103k)

It's a lovely putt around town car, even has cold air! It does need an ABS Module. But I went out to fuel it up earlier, and put the windows down from the Master Switch, the driver's side rear window is now stuck halfway down, and will not go back up from driver, or the LR Pass Door Switch. I've read a few varying things about switches in the P80 cars being crap. This one is pretty filthy. What bothers me is that both the front windows work, the passenger rear doesn't work at all, from any switch, so any help would be appreciated. It's also got a water leak on the passenger floor and service records dating to 2008 when they bought it.

AND HERE SHE IS, in all it's dented glory.

Guess this is my quasi build thread now, huh?

See less See more
#2 ·
N/A P80's UNITE!!!

If you try to put the window back up, do you get any power to the motor (meaning can you hear it)? If so then it may have fallen off the track, but if the motor is not going at all then you may need to replace the switch, or motor.

#3 ·
Yeah the x70 window switches are total sh|t. 850s don't have this problem. Hit some JYs or post up a wanted ad in the classifieds and see if you can find some working switches.

Check your sunroof drains for the water leak.

ABS module is DIY rebuildable; it's the solder joints that fail.

So what are your goals for this build? Here is some inspiration for you: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=179112

#4 ·
The ABS Module is going to be sent out to Midwest ABS, I'm completely **** at soldering, and prefer to leave it to someone that does it regularly.
The master switch is junk, after a little fiddling with the window lock, I managed to use the LR passenger control to get the window up.

Side Note, The interior in this car is mint. My P2 S60 with 140k wasn't even this nice when I sold it. This one has some of the best aged Volvo leather I've ever seen!

Here's the current plan.
First things first, this weekend will be an oil change, and the Rear Brakes are Shot, and there's no parking brake.
Next up will be what I think is a passenger side front wheel bearing.
ABS Module.
C70 Headlights and Signals.
LED Interior Conversion
Fix Water Leak
Coolant Level Sensor, Light is on constantly.
Timing Belt, sometime before 210k
Cup Holder/Console
Transmission Drain and Fill. Shifts are a little bit all over the place. May need a tranny in the future.
Audio Upgrade. XM Unit, Speakers, Grom AUX Input Adapter.

Then drive the freaking wheels off it. Nice simple clean daily.

#5 ·
Made a nice junkyard trip today.
No C70s for lights. But, I scored two new door switches, a correct color console lid with a WORKING cup holder, and a winter driving mode switch.
Oh and a set of correct color Volvo OEM carpet mats, but they came from a 200 XC so they're that nifty twill fabric, even came with the two rear pieces!

Stopped by O'Riley's and picked up my new rear brake kit, and parking shoes. Less than $90 out the door! Thank you commercial discounts.

and the air blows cold!

LOOK SIDE CARPETS

#6 ·
Replaced my leaky oil cap, and a rear brake job. Tomorrow, state inspection.

#7 ·
You wanna be buying this stuff from FCP man. Lifetime warranty FTW.

Not gonna add those cool nets from the XC?

#8 ·
The XC I took the mats from didn't have the nets, otherwise hell yes I would have.

#11 ·
Time for an update to this thread, car got a new hub assembly and axle shaft two weeks ago. Bought some cheap knock-off RallyArmour mud flaps for it, and this week I should be installing new motor mounts.

#12 ·
How are the LED's working out for you? I've been thinking about doing a conversion for a little while now but I don't know how these cars' wiring reacts to a potential higher power draw...

#13 ·
#14 ·
Nice, V70. I picked up a similar filthy, dented, scratched blue 99 from a guy in NJ with 120K on it. Manual too! Love it as a daily beater, dump car, winter driver, etc. that I don't care what happens to. Just did rear rotors recently, then my ABS light was going off and on. And the E brake started sticking when parked overnight. Took everything apart again, one of the brake shoes had separated from the backing plate and was jamming and kicking up a ton of brake dust which was messing with the sensor. While you're in there, you might want to take a look at the shoes and replace if they look like crap. They're only about $30.

#15 ·
While I'm here, anyone got any advice on code P0328? My CEL is on and that code came up when I ran it. The reader says a bunch of other stuff when I scroll through: mil on, monitrs, 1 inc evap 6ready misfire fuel comp catlyst o2 sensr 02 htr.
It drives "fine" for a nearly 20 year old car, occasional 1 second loss of power at highway speeds, but then kicks back in again. I can live with it, but don't mind tinkering if I've got some direction.

#17 ·
Can't think of anything off the top of my head, consider posting a thread with the symptoms. I'm sure someone will have input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.