Unable to fully boost
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unable to fully boost

So I recently started driving my car again after a work related injury. The car sat for about 4 months and was started only a few times. I recently replace almost the entire front suspention, axles, brake rotors and pads. I take the car out for a drive the other night for a good couple hours, tried to get on it and was surprised that I had a Huge decrease in power. I watched my boost gauge continuously hit 16lbs and then taper down. I checked all the FMIC connections and don't believe there is a leak. I have not properly tested the system yet as i don't own the right equipment. With that being said I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and was able to fix it. My boost usually hit 22 and the most it comes down to is 20lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

sounds like you need to clean or replace your spark plugs. any other symptoms apparent?
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Wow 22psi is really high for these cars. That's double the stock boost. What tune do you have?

Even if plugs were bad I'd think you'd still hit expected boost levels.

So...

Vacuum/boost leak
      TCV issue
      Wastegate issue
      MAF sensor
      BPS/IAT sensor
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm running the autotech tune. I believe when I talked to them they added for the Dp, but they also wanted to know my other mods b4 they sent me the tune. The only difference was the FMIC with upgraded pipes and intake.

bad gas?
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Is that a normal 'stage 3' autotech tune? Because a shark stage 3 only hits about 18lbs. The extra power from the 'stage 3' is mostly from the engine timing for the cooler/denser air coming from the upgraded IC and downpipe. I'm asking because with boost that high I wonder if you have your wastegate adjusted incorrectly + I'm not sure how you aren't going into limp mode.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Is that a normal 'stage 3' autotech tune? Because a shark stage 3 only hits about 18lbs. The extra power from the 'stage 3' is mostly from the engine timing for the cooler/denser air coming from the upgraded IC and downpipe. I'm asking because with boost that high I wonder if you have your wastegate adjusted incorrectly + I'm not sure how you aren't going into limp mode.
      From what i understand its supposed to be 15 from the tune, but myself and many others who got similar tune to mine are hitting same boost. All i can tell you is when i'm holding 20lbs the performance is incredible. I have tested the vehicles against many others and do very well. I actually was out the other day(on closed course) doing some runs and had nor problem pulling on a new mustang GT with CAI,Header,Exhaust. 3 tests 40, 50, 60 rolls.

I am currently going to replace my IPD HD tcv( which is known to fail) and also my CBV. Im currently going back and forth with Elevate and Forge for the CBV and also possible Elevate for the TCV
      S40 T5

I have a modified shark stage 1 (actually it's more like a 1.5+) and I will say that in 1st gear (with the new wastegate), I probably hit 18-20lbs of boost. I stay steady at 15lbs in 3rd gear pulls though. I might hit more if I had an upgraded downpipe, but sadly CARB doesn't want me to have one

To me, 20lbs sounds way too high - as if something is not working correctly. Like your wastegate actuator sticks closed or your TCV isn't right. I base that on a conversation I had with Shark's tuner who repeatedly told me to use the stock TCV because aftermarket doesn't add any benefits and it was difficult to get to respond to a tune properly. Not sure if Autotune is the same, just what Shark communicated to me.
      Last edited by mercdude; 05-18-2017 at 12:46 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah I'd stick with the stock Pierburg TCV. Hilton said the same to me.

Anyways the Elevate TCV is basically the same as the IPD one- they're all rebranded MAC valves.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I purchased a stock TCV and also figured it was time to upgrade to the turbosmart dual valve CBC. I am very excited!

Also does anyone know how much silicone vacuum line I need to replace all the lines? I was going to order 8 feet. I'm working in replacing all hoses to silicone.

8 feet is more than enough, I'd say 5 feel would be enough. Btw, I wouldn't go dual port - installation is super difficult due to the oil line. In fact, I'm not sure it will even fit under the oil line. If you're looking to upgrade the CBV, just go with the turbosmart kompact shortie single port unit.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements