Picking up a 2005 S40 T5 AWD 6sp today
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Picking up a 2005 S40 T5 AWD 6sp today

Hello Swedespeed forum!

Unless something is not as it was represented, I'll be picking up an S40 this afternoon. It 57,000 miles on the clock and pretty clean. It's a manual with the Haldex AWD system. An overwhelming number of photos can be seen here:

http://td4guy.arvixe.com/will-volvo/

The seller is a member here, but is not very active. Let me know if I should be concerned about anything on this particular model, and/or what to look for during my inspection. I'm bringing my rhino ramps so I can get under and look at everything.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The two most concerning photos are these:

What is that rusty bit?

Transmission case porosity or something more insidious?

A/C compressor with oil (?) on the bottom of it?

1st pic: strut assembly with some deterioration of the bellow (which I think is what is brownish). If the struts aren't showing signs of leaking or being weak, you're good to go. 2nd pic: A little oil weep from the transmission oil drain plug and some dirt caked on - no big deal. 3rd pic: probably just a bit of residual oil from checking and changing oil. Doesn't look concerning to me. Bigger ticket items to look out for: cv axles, maintenance records on fluid changes, oil filter housing change, wheel bearings, motor mounts, etc.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I looked through several of the pics. It looks good.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

1st pic - That's not rust, it's the orange foam bump stop. No worries.
      2nd pic - pretty much the cleanest transmission I've ever seen. Nothing to see here.
      3rd pic - maybe some slight breathing out of a front cam or crank seal. Take a look during next t-belt job. Not major at this time.

Wow. Really wish mine was that solid. I don't see any rust anywhere. Turbo looks like you could eat off it.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages

CV axle boots look good, car was dealer serviced until 50k miles. The only somewhat major repair was a new serpentine belt and tensioner at 47k. Clean carfax report.

Picked it up for $7000. It drove really well the 3 hours/150 miles back from the coast, and the power is PHENOMENAL. Like pulling steep grades in 6th effortlessly...pure automotive bliss.

Problems I have found so far from largest to smallest:

1.) The sunroof doesn't open without a small push downwards from the top.
      2.) It has a bit of a belt chirp at cold start.
      3.) It is missing a little round bit of trim around the passenger's door lock indicator rod (right by the window).
      4.) When exiting the car from the inside for the first time, the first pull of the door handle does nothing...but then the second lets you out...
      5.) The previous owner removed the fuse for the headlight sprayers...he said they are worthless and just wet down the hood.

Overall, I'm thrilled so far!

The headlight washers are worthless. Plus they just get caught on the bumper cover when retracting. The sunroof thing sounds like the seal is catching on the outside and/or the track needs lubrication. Removing the sunroof is easy.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
      4.) When exiting the car from the inside for the first time, the first pull of the door handle does nothing...but then the second lets you out...
      5.) The previous owner removed the fuse for the headlight sprayers...he said they are worthless and just wet down the hood.

Overall, I'm thrilled so far!
      4) This is normal.
      5) Best to leave the fuse out.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Does this happen if the doors have been locked while driving? I never lock my doors while I'm in it, so the first pull always opens the door...
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

The doors do lock automatically while driving. I think this can be programmed away using the center consul computer. I really don't like how modern cars do that -- I want to be able to (more) easily exit the vehicle should I need to in an emergency situation.

Trim around the door lock actuator is very common also. Make sure to use a dab of glue on all the remaining rings as well as your new one.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

It's sorta funny, but every person that rides in my car pulls the interior door handle and then when it doesn't open, they try to either force the door open or they pull harder on the handle (thinking it's broke). The Volvo P1 is the only car I've ever seen that does the 2 pull requirement. I warn everyone but inevitably they forget and get confused when they try to exit the car. So nowadays, I manually unlock the doors everytime I park.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah, I noticed that the first pull actually just unlocks the doors, the second opens them. I turned off auto lock, which seems to have solved the "issue".

I was driving along just a couple minutes ago, and the door chime started going seemingly randomly. This was on a residential street, and there was a girl walking in the street. It stopped chiming when I parked in my driveway and put the transmission in neutral. I don't think the vehicle has pedestrian alert, so that might have been a coincidence.

I have a lot of things to learn about this vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      It's sorta funny, but every person that rides in my car pulls the interior door handle and then when it doesn't open, they try to either force the door open or they pull harder on the handle (thinking it's broke). The Volvo P1 is the only car I've ever seen that does the 2 pull requirement. I warn everyone but inevitably they forget and get confused when they try to exit the car. So nowadays, I manually unlock the doors everytime I park.
      My lady did this. She learned, but it took her a while
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

My dad always forgets its a two pull requirements, and if I ever go driving with anyone I always tell them it's a feature of a "semi-luxury" brand.

door lock rod trim is pretty cheap, if you can find a junker you can probably take them from there. Otherwise they're like $1.90 a piece or something. Mine had 3 missing when I bought it.

Glad you like it, you surely had less problems than I when I bought mine. That being said enjoy, I do enjoy the I-40 grades in 6th gear when a bunch of retards aren't trying to do 65 and failing in the fast lane at 10,000ft.

Now get VIDA and a DiCE unit and get crackin on any serious issues that might be lying dormant in the system.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

...The Volvo P1 is the only car I've ever seen that does the 2 pull requirement. I warn everyone but inevitably they forget and get confused when they try to exit the car. So nowadays, I manually unlock the doors everytime I park.
      Haha, I see Im not the only person confused by this design (let alone people who are actually travelling with me). I like the auto-lock feature and use it daily, but double-pull is a nonsence. My 1st gen S40 had standard 1pull from close opening, while other cars I drove with auto-lock unlock the doors automatically when you shut down the engine. Weird design.

to OP - as for your "belt squeal" from cold - do a proper investigation whether it actually IS a belt or exhaust manifold. My car did / does exactly the same when starting, but it is a common issue with actual seal, not belt at all. Fixed it once already (tightening) but started to occur again so neeed proper re-do. It also "squeal" when you do a hard pull from low revs so easy to diagnose.
      good luck with car, may it serve you for years! :}
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Belt squeal is most likely accessory belts that have gotten old and hard. Replace with Gates micro-v belts, belts won't squeak. But make sure it's not your timing belt. I had a timing belt squeak in the mornings due to a tight fit and dirt building up on the inside of the crank pulley. Annoying as hell but a little candle wax made it disappear, for a while.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

According to the previous owner and carfax, the belt tensioner and belt were replaced 10k miles ago. The belt looks great.

I'm suspecting the clutched pulley on the alternator, personally.

Yeah well, I had the same thing on my car - belts were changed by PO's mechanic just before I purchased. After 15k miles they squeaked at start up. Replaced them with Gates, no more squeak. Looking at the profiles of the 2 accessory belts, the gates were much deeper and probably gripped the pulley better. But it may not be that - I'm only saying it's easy to replace belts and tearing into mechanical parts isn't.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah, definitely. I only run gates on my other vehicles, so I'll try that first and keep the old belt in the trunk with the spare tire. Is the belt swap pretty straightforward? This car has more limited access compared to what I'm used to.

The cold start when I noticed it was out on the coast and it was a misty 50 degrees. When I start it later today in the warm, dry air of Central California, we'll see if it chirps.

I'm with Lizard. I also have a "squeak" at startup. Initially sounds like it's "just a belt", but is actually the exhaust manifold gasket leaking at the cylinder head. Makes a really odd noise that goes away after some time (few seconds to a few minutes depending on temperature, etc). Mine actually has 2 broken studs and will be a pretty major repair. It could potentially entail removing the engine from the car (or at least the cylinder head). Hopefully it won't come to that. I will be replacing all the exhaust studs, nuts, manifold gasket, and maybe resurfacing the turbo/manifold if it is warped. Probably 4-20 hours of labor, depending on how difficult the broken studs are to remove.

It could be a belt, though. So, for your sake, I do hope that's all it is.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 05-18-2017 at 01:30 PM.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages

Belts are easy. Take wheel off, take inner fender off, and then use a large torx socket and rachet to take the pressure off the belt from the tensioner. Then slip the belt off. A bit awkward by yourself, but doable.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

It's definitely an exhaust manifold gasket...

"Cold" start at 82 degrees ambient resulted in about 1/2 to 1 second of chirp/squeal and about 5 seconds of light exhaust leak sound before it faded out to a purr.

Is there a procedure on how to address this from easiest fix (tightening?) to hardest? I'm thinking I'll start with taking off the heat shield, inspecting the bolts and then torquing the manifold bolts down to the factory torque spec to see if that quiets it down. Good first place to start?

I think I caught it early, so hopefully this is not a terrible repair...Should I start driving my old sedan again until I can address this issue? I have a business trip to San Diego that requires about 12 hours of driving this upcoming week, 6 hrs Monday, 6 hrs Friday, plus here and there on location. I can take my old car if that will keep this issue from getting worse or breaking anything else...or if torquing solves it, I can do that in a few minutes, I'd think.

Sorry for the Volvo noob questions...I've done a lot of car repairs, so this one does not scare me, I just want to avoid causing collateral damage since I do have more than one car.

Check the exhaust manifold bolts on the far passenger side. Tighten all the bolts up evenly though - don't know the specs, I just got them tightish. Not a super fun job, but worse ways to spend a hour of wrenching.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Sorry to be the bad prophet, would be better for you if that was a belt :/ Atleast you know what is going on.
      Do not worry about this "issue" at all. Drive as much as you want, it does nothing except annoying noise (and maybe small decrease in power, dunno). I had this issue ever since I got my car year ago. Was able to had bolts tightened last July - sorted the problem until November when it started to squeal again a bit. Now - its constant and not only on cold start - mine does that especially on hard pulls from low rev. Annoying, but thats all it is to it.
      Planning to have it properly done but was told it will be a major job so I am preparing mentally for it (wont be doing it myself) as it just bothers me too much.

EDIT - started up separate thread regarding that squeal and having it fixed - here, maybe it will come handy in future.
      Last edited by LizardOfBodom; 05-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

The doors do lock automatically while driving. I think this can be programmed away using the center consul computer. I really don't like how modern cars do that -- I want to be able to (more) easily exit the vehicle should I need to in an emergency situation.

its a volvo, thats a safety design specifically put to not open on accidental pulls. plus you can remove it in the settings of the vehicle. i personally like it knowing i wont fly out of my car if for some reason i pull the door handle while driving lol
      Last edited by catdaddy; 05-19-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Now get VIDA and a DiCE unit and get crackin on any serious issues that might be lying dormant in the system.
      Is this a Volvo-specific scan tool? What's the best way to get it and where? Googling around led me to some pretty old threads where people are ordering these from AliExpress, with different versions and such. I'm no stranger to Alibaba/AliExpress, but I would need to know what I'm looking for exactly?

What's the difference between a VIDA and a DiCE?

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
      its a volvo, thats a safety design specifically put to not open on accidental pulls. plus you can remove it in the settings of the vehicle. i personally like it knowing i wont fly out of my car if for some reason i pull the door handle while driving lol
      Actually, no you can't remove it. I've tried and tried and tried and then I gave up and read the owners manual which states that the 2 pull is a "design feature" of the car.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Actually, no you can't remove it. I've tried and tried and tried and then I gave up and read the owners manual which states that the 2 pull is a "design feature" of the car.
      I think he meant you can remove the auto door lock while driving feature

I already switched that off on mine. I don't have children riding in the car, so I'm not too concerned about my arm going all Dr. Strangelove on me and opening the door.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements