2012 XC60RD with CEL P0172
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 XC60RD with CEL P0172

Wife's car has thrown a CEL for about a week now. At first I thought dirty air filter because it has been a while since it was changed. Unfortunately not the problem.
      I reset the CEL and while sitting there idling for 5 minutes, it comes right back.

I monitored the two O2 sensors in VIDA, and the rear sensor voltage would constantly cycle from low to high, as shown in the pictures below. Not sure if this is normal operation, and the rear O2 should have nothing to do with running rich, IIRC.
      Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg

VIDA says:

Possible source
      Clogged air filter.
      Leak of crankcase ventilation.
      Oil level too high.
      Contaminated engine oil (gasoline mixed in oil).
      Leaking injectors.
      Leaking EVAP-valve
      High fuel pressure.
      Damaged mass air flow sensor.

Fault symptom[s]
      Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.
      Poor performance.
      Engine misfires.

However, performance is fine and there are no misfires.
      Last edited by phuz; 05-16-2017 at 04:13 PM.
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      1993 S13 - 2JZGTE, 600rwhp

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

With the engine idling (after already being brought to operating temperature), lift the hood and remove the engine cover to gain access to the oil trap. Nearest the right side of it (as you are looking into the engine compartment), there will be a circular cover in the plastic. Toward the left side of that circle is a tiny hole. If you cover that hole with your finger and feel suction, try replacing the oil trap.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      With the engine idling (after already being brought to operating temperature), lift the hood and remove the engine cover to gain access to the oil trap. Nearest the right side of it (as you are looking into the engine compartment), there will be a circular cover in the plastic. Toward the left side of that circle is a tiny hole. If you cover that hole with your finger and feel suction, try replacing the oil trap.
      Well, there is a slight suction there. But what really got me is when I removed the oil filler cap, there was a LOT of suction and a loud woosh of air rushing in. I put the cap back, waited a few seconds, removed it again, and once again lots of suction. We've also been hearing this noise (squeaking/chirping) that I thought was the serp. belt, and have delayed doing it because it looks like a huge PITA on the XC60, but I noticed when I put the oil filler cap back on, it would make that noise again and it would go away as soon as I relieved the vacuum.

I'm also overdue on an oil change, so I will change that today and give it a good run.

Still thinking oil trap?
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent observations!

Now I'm almost certain it's the oil trap.
      Last edited by qaz996; 05-17-2017 at 11:48 PM.
      2007 S40 T5

Installed the new oil trap today. Vacuum is significantly reduced; however, CEL came right back.

I checked the MAF signal. It seems to be reading accurately. I gave it a few revs and the signal jumped as expected. The air filter is new. The oil is fresh. What is my next likely culprit?

Possible source
      Clogged air filter. No
      Leak of crankcase ventilation.
      Oil level too high. No
      Contaminated engine oil (gasoline mixed in oil). Doubtful since oil is fresh
      Leaking injectors.
      Leaking EVAP-valve
      High fuel pressure. No
      Damaged mass air flow sensor. No
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by phuz; 05-25-2017 at 03:47 PM.
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

So you have VIDA?

Clear the code again and then go into Vehicle Communications tab and then ECM. Go to Advanced and find Reset Adaptations. Click on that.

Then drive the car and see what happens.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      So you have VIDA?

Clear the code again and then go into Vehicle Communications tab and then ECM. Go to Advanced and find Reset Adaptations. Click on that.

Then drive the car and see what happens.
      I thought about that, but didn't do it yet. So you think it could still be using the old adapted values?
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

Reset adaptations and CEL this AM. Wife drove it about 20-25 miles over several stops and it hasn't come back yet. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

50+ miles so far and it hasn't returned. I guess that was it. It must have been trimmed out to the max. I'm curious if the adaptations would have fixed themselves over time and the CEL would have eventually shut itself off.
      Matt
      2005 XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements