2006 V50 T5 build/refurb
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2006 V50 T5 build/refurb

Hello all. New to these forums and Volvo ownership. Wanted to share the slow progression of refurbishment and upgrade for my V50.

I purchased the vehicle about a week ago from a newly licensed auction buyer/seller so he had no real knowledge of the state of the vitals. So, as it has 181k miles on the odometer and is getting some persistent cylinder misfires I started with spark plugs and coil packs. Followed that up with an oil change and installed K&N cold air intake kit and filter. I replaced all interior lights with LED kit and had to install a new rear view mirror shroud as the previous one was had broken all the plastic clips and was on the floor.

I've ordered a new cabin air filter, 12v outlet for the center console (as the original was rusted out from drink spillage and wasn't passing current), rubber liner for cup holder, and a used iPd aluminum skid plate (the original plastic one was gone).

Yesterday I removed the stereo controls and stripped the tacky rubber coating from the four knobs, then put on a few layers of PlastiDip to add a bit of texture and consistent color back (one of them had been wiped with goo gone or something before and was discolored).

Day of purchase...

Knob dipping...
      Last edited by akasbury; 05-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey, I'm in town and have the same car. Hit me up if you need any tips on local shops, etc.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Hey, I'm in town and have the same car. Hit me up if you need any tips on local shops, etc.
      Nice! Thanks for the offer.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks nice! How did you like the feel of the knobs afterwards? I'd love to get the actual silver and black ones, but don't want to shell out a bunch of money.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Nice! Will do, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      Looks nice! How did you like the feel of the knobs afterwards? I'd love to get the actual silver and black ones, but don't want to shell out a bunch of money.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Yeah, the silver ones would add a nice highlight... but not for the cost. I like the PlastiDip. Has a nice matte, textured feel to it, without being overly grippy. It doesn't seem to pick up the skin oils as bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by akasbury View Post
      Hello all. New to these forums and Volvo ownership. Wanted to share the slow progression of refurbishment and upgrade for my V50.

I purchased the vehicle about a week ago from a newly licensed auction buyer/seller so he had no real knowledge of the state of the vitals. So, as it has 181k miles on the odometer and is getting some persistent cylinder misfires I started with spark plugs and coil packs. Followed that up with an oil change and installed K&N cold air intake kit and filter. I replaced all interior lights with LED kit and had to install a new rear view mirror shroud as the previous one was had broken all the plastic clips and was on the floor.

I've ordered a new cabin air filter, 12v outlet for the center console (as the original was rusted out from drink spillage and wasn't passing current), rubber liner for cup holder, and a used iPd aluminum skid plate (the original plastic one was gone).

Yesterday I removed the stereo controls and stripped the tacky rubber coating from the four knobs, then put on a few layers of PlastiDip to add a bit of texture and consistent color back (one of them had been wiped with goo gone or something before and was discolored).

Day of purchase...

Knob dipping...
      You have the OEM mudflaps?! Can you post more pictures of them? I've been contemplating throwing them onto my V50.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

You have the OEM mudflaps?! Can you post more pictures of them? I've been contemplating throwing them onto my V50.
      Yeah, no problem. I'll snap some in a bit.

Here you go...

Here's my dilemma - like mudflaps on awd wagons, but think the early chassis p1's are too long and low to the ground. The later p1's are great, nice to short/close to the body. What are your thoughts - do you like them?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Here's my dilemma - like mudflaps on awd wagons, but think the early chassis p1's are too long and low to the ground. The later p1's are great, nice to short/close to the body. What are your thoughts - do you like them?
      The front ones are definitely a tad too long and tend to scrape speed bumps due to the low clearance of the car... but overall I dig the look.

Installed the dipped console knobs, finally, and put the waterfall back in...

Had wrapped the waterfall in a woodgrain vinyl and really dug the contrasting look with the black interior, but the vinyl sucked and started peeling up at tight places and being slightly anal about the way things look I ripped it all back off...

Replaced the cabin/pollen filter, and promptly saw my chiropractor and acupuncturist shortly after...

Removed and cleaned the throttle body...

Put in an order for fuel pressure sensor and a couple of other accessories from iPd.

For $75 you can have the upgraded Porsche throttle body!
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      For $75 you can have the upgraded Porsche throttle body!
      I might have to check that out on the next paycheck. Where would I find this?

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

What hou need to do is get some stereoknobs from a 2008 or newer However, nice projekt

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements