Ordering Process
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Ordering Process

Has anyone done an order on the XC60 yet? If so, did you have to put a deposit down and did you have to put a down payment for the car on the spot?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Over the years we've ordered many. Only once have we made a deposit. It was for the XC 90 around X mas of 2012. The rest did not require anything. Really depends on r dealer. Maybe a deposit but why a down payment?
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

The ordering process needs you to put down a deposit. Currently , if you were to order it via the website you would need to put down $2000 as deposit. The dealer may agree for a smaller amount.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      why a down payment?
      I should've clarified more. By down payment I really was asking if you had to immediately finance or purchase the car when you order it or when it arrives at the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCerealBox View Post
      I should've clarified more. By down payment I really was asking if you had to immediately finance or purchase the car when you order it or when it arrives at the dealership.
      When it arrives at the retailer. You may be asked to submit a credit application at the time of ordering, which is perfectly normal, but you do not sign any finance/lease contracts until you pick up the car from the retailer.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      When it arrives at the retailer. You may be asked to submit a credit application at the time of ordering, which is perfectly normal, but you do not sign any finance/lease contracts until you pick up the car from the retailer.
      Thanks for that information. I'm guessing that at the dealership you're also able to negotiate the price of the ordered car?

If anyone has ordered, were you able to negotiate a discount or stuck at MSRP?

Thanks for that information. I'm guessing that at the dealership you're also able to negotiate the price of the ordered car?

I'm guessing that at the dealership you're also able to negotiate the price of the ordered car?
      That is up to you and your retailer.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post
      If anyone has ordered, were you able to negotiate a discount or stuck at MSRP?
      I really doubt they will be handing out discounts on a brand new car during the initial few months. Maybe after a couple of months they will on certain variants which aren't moving fast.

I put a deposit on a 2018 xc60 today. I still need to decide on a couple things before they send my order in, but had a couple questions for Volvo experts here

Is an advertising fee normal? I don't think I paid one with other cars I've purchased but it was on the invoice, so it seems legit -- was curious if all volvo dealers charge it.

Anyone with a T5 disappointed with it? I test drove a 2017 xc60 t5 and t6. I thought the t6 had plenty of power -- didn't need to floor it to get to speed quickly and shifted smoother because of it, however t5 fits better in the budget. Looks like they squeezed 10 more HP out of the 2018's so I'm hopeful that I'll be happy with the ability to get up to speed quickly/smoothly.

Curious about BLIS integration. Wasn't a fan of the big light in the previous gen xc60...anyone notice if it is more subtle this go around?

Is an advertising fee normal
      It's just one of those things they add to make a little more money. I usually negotiate price down to what I'm willing to pay than tell them I'll buy now if they take off all the fees, advertising, processing fees etc. Usually works but you'll hear all sorts of stories as to why they can't or how this is a one time exception.

Quote Originally Posted by pfram View Post
      It's just one of those things they add to make a little more money. I usually negotiate price down to what I'm willing to pay than tell them I'll buy now if they take off all the fees, advertising, processing fees etc. Usually works but you'll hear all sorts of stories as to why they can't or how this is a one time exception.
      The retailers do not make one cent off that fee.

That's not true at all. What would you say if Walmart added an "advertising fee" to your bill at checkout?

It's ADP pure and simple.
      Hers - 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

On order via OSD: 2018 XC60 - T6 Inscription

Is it indeed possible to negotiate the pre-order pricing with the local dealer? Has anyone done this currently, or with a recent release such as the XC90?

To answer other questions here: My local dealer would take $1,000 as a deposit. They don't do financing at time of pre-order, but rather when the car is scheduled to arrive. They don't even pull a credit report because they would have to redo it in late-summer/Fall when the car arrives.

Thanks!

On a new model like this, I assume dealers aren't going to eat this fee like they might for a slower moving model. If thats the case, im pretty happy with where I ended up. Thanks Grecian.

On a new model like this, I assume dealers aren't going to eat this fee like they might for a slower moving model. If thats the case, im pretty happy with where I ended up. Thanks Grecian.
      So what will be the final price for the order you put in? Is it MSRP + Advertising fee + Processing Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      That's not true at all. What would you say if Walmart added an "advertising fee" to your bill at checkout?

It's ADP pure and simple.
      You can believe what you want, I am only stating facts; that fee is billed to the retailers so they have to pay it

http://www.truecar.com/blog/2011/08/...expect-to-pay/

Plus, this is from Edmunds:
      https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...d-you-pay.html

"Advertising Fees: Sometimes buyers look up invoice prices on Edmunds and find they don't match the invoice price given by a dealer. What's going on? There is probably an advertising fee attached to the invoice price of the car. If the car's invoice lists an advertising fee, this is an actual charge made by the manufacturer to the dealer and you should pay it. However, some dealers will add an unofficial advertising fee into the sales contract, perhaps claiming they are offsetting the cost of their own advertising efforts. If you encounter this dealer-added advertising fee, you can challenge it or negotiate a lower purchase price on the car to offset the additional charge."

ALL vehicle invoices have these fees. Some manufacturers decide to hide them into the cost of the car, thus creating a false impression (to the buyer) that they are not there. Others (in their plurality) choose to be more upfront and list them separately.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 05-21-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinIsIn View Post
      So what will be the final price for the order you put in? Is it MSRP + Advertising fee + Processing Fee?
      No, the adv fee is not listed on the MSRP side. The only item on the MSRP side is the designation charge plus any applicable state taxes and whatever processing/doc fees the retailer charges.

The supplemental adv fee is listed as a cost, on the invoice/cost side to the retailer (along with the destination charge). This is to see what the cost of the vehicle is to the retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by transmissionfluid View Post
      Is it indeed possible to negotiate the pre-order pricing with the local dealer? Has anyone done this currently, or with a recent release such as the XC90?

To answer other questions here: My local dealer would take $1,000 as a deposit. They don't do financing at time of pre-order, but rather when the car is scheduled to arrive. They don't even pull a credit report because they would have to redo it in late-summer/Fall when the car arrives.

Thanks!
      The amount of deposit is reasonable for a typical order. If someone orders a very strangely equipped car (for example, the other day I was talking to one of my retailers who took an order for an XC90 RDesign with only climate package, no convenience or vision package.)

Such car, in case the buyer decides to walk away from the deal, is going to be a lot harder to sell hence it would be reasonable for the retailer to collect a much higher amount as a deposit.

With regards to pulling a credit report, it is prudent for the retailer to ensure that the buyer fully pre-qualifies to get financing when the car arrives. For example, one can place a custom order for a $55,000 car but if his/her credit score is (let's assume) 600, everyone involved knows that there is absolutely no way he/she will be able to get financing when the moment of delivery comes. It is pre-qualification that is perfectly normal to request when a large purchase such as this is involved. Same thing with a house; you need to show you are pre-qualified before you even enter the preliminary stages of a buying transaction.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 05-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Invoice + $700 markup + $995 delivery + $710 advertising/alex's donation + $299 processing + tax/title.

Configured on the volvo site, my msrp is 48,390 and I'm OTD at 50,860

Quote Originally Posted by OdinIsIn View Post

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements