Installing dang drivers side axle
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Installing dang drivers side axle

How do you get the drivers side axle to go in? I can't seem to get the circlicp to go in & am getting frustrated...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've always just turned it a bit while putting pressure on the shaft to compress the CV joint until I can feel that the splines are aligned, and then just give it a good shove. Of course we have no idea what you are working on so this information may not be helpful.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Rsterns; 05-19-2017 at 12:06 PM.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

Guess you already tried with cclip opening facing down
      Is it aftermarket axle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 S80 3.2- 4C, 18"wheels,adaptive Bi-Xenon ,12-speaker Dynaudio Sound system, Ultimate Viking Starship
      1998 C70 2.3 HPT, factory 18" BBS, TME Exhaust,HR sport springs,IPD skid plate (garaged)
      1998 S70 2.4 LPT, GLT...went to college.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's a '99 V70XC. The axle is aftermarket, the cclip opening is facing down & I try centering it on the axle when inserting. The splines do line up & you feel it going in until it hits the cclip & then it gets frustrating.

Can you swap with the oem clip?
      I assume you are replacing oem axle?
      Just a thought...

2007 S80 3.2- 4C, 18"wheels,adaptive Bi-Xenon ,12-speaker Dynaudio Sound system, Ultimate Viking Starship
      1998 C70 2.3 HPT, factory 18" BBS, TME Exhaust,HR sport springs,IPD skid plate (garaged)

I fought with mine for a half hour. Then Bob (rsterns, above) took over and got it done in like 10 seconds. There's definitely a trick to it. Maybe better luck in the morning when you're fresh.
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

Okay. The issue is the aftermarket axle. In fact this is the second aftermarket axle I have tried. I bought a unknown replacement axle from partsgeek.com in March. I had issues getting that one to install. Its issue was the splines on either side of the cclip were machined so the the outer vertical splines aligned with the trough splines on the inside of the cclip. So, partsgeek gave me a RMA number for the axle & sent me a different companies new replacement axle. This axle looks fine, so I tried it. Turns out this TrakMotive "new premium axle" has splines are just the tinest bit out of alinement between those outside the clip & inside the clip. If you look real close you can see the slines bind on one sid eof the verticals only. I took the cclip off the worn original OEM axle & it slides in/out of the trans with no issues. So I guess round three for another axle...

From past experience
      When working on friends cars, I tell them to buy either new genuine dealer axle(usually can't afford that's why I am working on their car) or genuine OEM used axle.(flea bay,picknpull )
      I refuse to install after market because of issues like you are having. I seen where aftermarket are tough to go in, even harder to get out.
      If oem genuine boots are available rebuilds are ok
      But cheaper to by used one.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements