iPhone as Wifi Hotspot
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

iPhone as Wifi Hotspot

I utilize my iPhone as a wireless hotspot to use apps like TuneIn but recently the car is not consistently recognizing the wifi. Typically after starting the car I go to settings and choose my iphone from a list of wifi options but my iphone only sometimes shows up. I tried turning wifi hotspot on and off on the phone and tried clicking and unclicking wifi on sensus and even tried restarting the car but sometimes nothing works and after I wait a day or two I am able to connect. Of note while this is happening the phone is connected to the car by bluetooth. I have the latest maps but did not update the sensus to the may version yet. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

While perhaps waiting for either VDD or Sensus 2 upgrade, take a shortcut and use a USB cable and connect through USB tethering. Alternatively, set your Bluetooth connection to also allow the car to make use of your device's internet connection through its Bluetooth connection.

Who knows, maybe Apple software prevents the car from connecting
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Thanks for the reply- Is there any way to know the car is actually connected via usb tether? There isn't an icon on the screen and i've had no luck connecting via cable - apps will just never ever connect which is why I always use wifi to connect the car to the internet. Bluetooth tethering to the internet seems to work although it's significantly slower.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is no specific sign like you would have if you used your device as WiFi hotspot, which will show you signal strength.

On tethering, so long as on your phone you've enabled USB tethering, you'd need to choose the car's internet based service you wanted to access and upon opening, it will check the internet connectivity and if available, give you the service you required.

I use an Android phone and always prefer USB tethering because as soon as I pull the USB cable off the phone, it stops the car's internet connection and saves me data consumption. When you tether, not only will the internet based service capitalise on that internet connection, but your Map's RTI, download centre to check if there are new updates and if anything in Download Centre is set to Automatic, you'll get home to realise that you've easily depleted your data allocation.

That's why I don't allow Auto updates and don't like staying too long on streaming services because we don't have good data deals like you guys have with AT&T. Data is as expensive here as if one's ordering a Russian bride
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousSands View Post
      Thanks for the reply- Is there any way to know the car is actually connected via usb tether? There isn't an icon on the screen and i've had no luck connecting via cable - apps will just never ever connect which is why I always use wifi to connect the car to the internet. Bluetooth tethering to the internet seems to work although it's significantly slower.
      I dont' think anyone got it working. Check here http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...thering-iPhone

I tried number of times and give up. I use Bluetooth tethering but USB never works. It cold be that without CarPlay it doesn't work of just another bug in the system.
      2016 XC90 D5 Inscription Twilight Bronze

I have used my iPhone 6 as hotspot without issue. Must enable hotspot capability on phone in settings. I was told, however, by Verizon that constant use tends to stress phone battery. I continued to use and my battery was indeed damaged and I had to replace. I now use a Verizon hotspot without issue.
      Last edited by Steve13; 05-21-2017 at 03:53 AM.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements