Shock spring seat major fail?!!? What to do??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shock spring seat major fail?!!? What to do??

I don't know how long this was running in this state. I was having intermittent high beam failure messages and decided to see if it's a loose cable or something. To my horror I saw this and just noticed a bump on my hood. WTF? Is this poor parts? All new IPD HD everything. Or did my shop ( which is now out of business) made a mistake on the install?
      05 SR TI 6MT, IPD Track Sway, IPD Springs, IPD HD End links, IPD Oval Exaust

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

More images

Temp fix, going to get nuts and double up on the metal straps.

Other side seems to be ok

Wtf this should never ever happen. There should be a seat for the spring and bearing in between and then a cup with mountaing points and the rod should never ever blow through like it did. Something was not installed in the assembly to cause this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Looks like your spring seat ripped itself through but not totally sure. How could this happen? I imagine that front corner of the car was sagging down?
      2007 S60R Electric Silver Atacama M66

I bought all new 4C shocks for all four corners, IPD HD spring seats for the fronts, IPD Springs, IPD track anti-sway bars. IPD HD end links several thousand dollars and less than a year later this is what I get!!

All to replace a worn spring seat and shock. I should have just gone with and xc90 spring seat...

I contacted IPD. I don't know what the warranty is and the coverage is for damage.

I added straps and new bolts on top of the existing nuts.
      Last edited by pitogo; 05-19-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
      Looks like your spring seat ripped itself through but not totally sure. How could this happen? I imagine that front corner of the car was sagging down?
      There isn't that much gas charge in the strut, and its still pushing against the hood, so as long as the strut is still pointed in the right direction you likely wouldn't notice any change in the car's stance with it like this.

I've seen aftermarket spring seats do this. Not worth the cost savings. Genuine springs seats only and we all know they still don't last forever.
      Years ago I had a customers car where a strut went through the hood. Said he hit a large pot hole. Sometimes it just happens.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
      No sag that I noticed. But the car did feel squirrelly last two days and I was going to check tire pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      I've seen aftermarket spring seats do this. Not worth the cost savings. Genuine springs seats only and we all know they still don't last forever.
      Years ago I had a customers car where a strut went through the hood. Said he hit a large pot hole. Sometimes it just happens.
      I wasn't going after cost savings, I thought I was going after better performance. I purchased IPD HD spring seats and on their site it says better than OE. Now I'm really livid!!

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4712...er-spring-seat
      Last edited by pitogo; 05-19-2017 at 08:39 PM.

I recall hearing some things about not using IPD's spring seats for this reason, rather it was better to upgrade to XC90 type. If I'm not mistaken, some others have had spring seat failures from these; maybe someone else can back me up on that.

IPD HD is exact same thing as XC90 spring mounts. Wow, I've never seen a spring seat fail like this. Perhaps the shop didn't replace them and put old ones on.
      05 S60R PART OUT 3.10.17 - http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...05#post5077105
      04 V70R Red/Atacama, 99k miles, 6MT, Rica 2, Elevate DP and sways, JRL mod, 3"CAI, Viva CBV, Heico V's, Wide angle euro mirrors, IPD bits.
      06 V70R Sonicama GT, 135k miles

I had new shocks and springs put in so it's not much more work to swap them. It's also the main reason I did the suspension work since the old ones where getting replaced. I had clunking on the front right passenger. It seems the front right passenger had a major fail again but can't believe it was so fast.

That doesn't look like a very new spring seat.

Spring seats can indeed fail like that. (obviously) but yes it happens some. Seen it quite a few times when I was in the biz.
      2004 S60R Silver, Nordkap, 18" Enkei RSF5's, lots of little stuff done, this is Volvo #16
      1st Car - 1965 122S Amazon! A Volvo saved my life - 9/12/94
      I have tripled the mileage in my R in 4 years... what does this tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by shurgen View Post
      IPD HD is exact same thing as XC90 spring mounts. Wow, I've never seen a spring seat fail like this. Perhaps the shop didn't replace them and put old ones on.
      Really? I thought it was their in-house version of it.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Pirate View Post
      That doesn't look like a very new spring seat.

Spring seats can indeed fail like that. (obviously) but yes it happens some. Seen it quite a few times when I was in the biz.
      I know I brought in all brand new IPD parts and now you guys have me wondering if I got duped and he installed old ones.

The shop and the guy running it was reputable and had a good R following. He told me the old ones fell apart once they got the springs off. Only real way to tell is to bring it to my $tealer ..er dealer to have it fixed and ask for the old one back.
      Last edited by pitogo; 05-19-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Early march I had the same issue with the Lemforder spring mounts. 1 year old part failed.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...BILSTEIN/page9

What I was able to gather, Volvo discovered the original spring seats mounts were weak - common failure - on S60/V70/XC70 range and replaced it with the stronger XC90 version.
      20152 01 is the Lemforder part number what I was using and it failed within a year.
      Looking at the ZF catalogue: https://webcat.zf.com/ it seems the 20152 01 is the older design/version and the X90 isn't listed as suitable candidate/model.
      Moreover cannot seem to find any strut mount bearings - within the same ZF catalogue - available for the X90.

As my car is a right hand drive (Ireland) the passenger side failed first due to it gets more hit vs the driver side.

According to the parts dept @ the dealership, the Volvo branded X90 spring seat mount has 2 year warranty.
      Last edited by htomi; 05-20-2017 at 03:10 AM.
      2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 99000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

damn LOL that thing is poking out

2007 S60R Nordkap & Black Sapphire Metallic. Auto. Holset HY35, 2.3 Block shimmed, Forged pistons, H-Beam Rods. 3" DP, Meth Inj.

I've never seen a seat fail that bad. That's a bummer.

05 sr sapphire/nordkap, three pedal arrangement. Custom: 2.5" cat back, 3" intake pipe w/ aem dryflow, aeromotive fuel pump, welded A.G. PPS: Poly front control arm bushings, poly torque mount, poly subframe inserts. Ipd: poly upper mount, poly strut bar inserts, toe bars. Stage 0- in progress

I think the suspension limiter is bent out of shape and now the shock is bottoming out.

oh snap
      Attached Images Attached Images

Seeing this made me check mine. Needless to say I just ordered the kit from fcp euro.

05 sr sapphire/nordkap, three pedal arrangement. Custom: 2.5" cat back, 3" intake pipe w/ aem dryflow, aeromotive fuel pump, welded A.G. PPS: Poly front control arm bushings, poly torque mount, poly subframe inserts. Ipd: poly upper mount, poly strut bar inserts, toe bars. Stage 0- in progress

Hmm, feel sorry for ya!

Dissapointment when you invest bigtime and get this as a result.

I have brandnew IPD springseats and a new swaybar-set lying around to be installed here.
      Not very keen on installing those now, think i am also going to buy XC90 ones.

Incident or not, with IPD's I will not be driving around very relaxed with this in the back of my mind.

i just when to dealer to get oe XC90 it came up as same sku for all s60 xc70 etc. the part is very very stiff!!

Lemförder 3792301 = Xc90 springseat.
      Team Dynamics: Pro Race 1.2 ET 30 Snabb: Intake Eibach: Springs Costum: Exhaust HKS: EVC6 Boostcontroller Morimoto: D2S Projector retrofit

My advice, get the Volvo branded one.
      2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 99000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
      My advice, get the Volvo branded one.
      Yes I did, 55 ea and brought my car limping along to my local shop.

I just bought new HD IPD seats 2 weeks ago and the guy behind the counter says the ones I bought were a brand new design that had a flange welded to the steel bushing that is molded into the seat. So IPD may have the best solution- of course a flange may create another failure mode unless they did a ton of testing but they are trying to address this exact failure.
      late 2007 V70R GT, Electric Silver, Nord, - 4C delete with Bilies on stock springs- adjustable rear spring perches 123,xxx
      1995 Olive Green T5-R 855, 220K, everything works except headlight wipers!

Quote Originally Posted by shaun View Post
      I just bought new HD IPD seats 2 weeks ago and the guy behind the counter says the ones I bought were a brand new design that had a flange welded to the steel bushing that is molded into the seat. So IPD may have the best solution- of course a flange may create another failure mode unless they did a ton of testing but they are trying to address this exact failure.
      IPD doesn't do any real mechanical engineering of their products... You want to fix the spring seat failure? Don't use a rubber spring seat.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

The guy said..... isn't really comforting!

I also talk a lot ;-)

probably the only real permanent way to fix the issue: https://www.kaplhenke.com/products/f...le-strut-mount
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

Here's what you could end up with when it gets really bad

04 P2R 6MT Passion Red
      IG: @zeedakay

Quote Originally Posted by pitogo View Post
      oh snap
      Did you run over a witch's black cat or something? Maybe crossed a Haitian friend with a voodoo hobby?

This is a known problem, your not the only one. It will happen when they completely fail. While I do think Volvo should have put a cup type solid steel support bracket over top of this to prevent blow though. Those straps likely won't last long depending what kind of bumps you hit... I see they failed.

These are just common wear items like tires.

How it happens? Consider driving around in advanced and hit a big pothole. The strut stiffens and all the downforce of the car is supported/ controlled by the strut shaft more than the spring. Naturally the upper point of the shock is the shaft and all the force is loaded there. Rubber weakens and it breaks through.

Check your jounce bumpers/ bump stops on the strut shaft. They get pretty worn after 100k and bottoming out the strut hard will add damage the mount. The amount of travel shown in the first pic is surpising, maybe the angle of the pic, but looks like near 8"+.. Ipd lowered the car that much.
      Last edited by JeremyR; 05-23-2017 at 07:58 AM.
      2005 Volvo S60R | Mystic Silver | Nordkap | Factory Body kit |
      Picked it up at 150,000 | Starting a Stage 0 overhaul.. It needs a lot. | R Kelly intake | Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 | DRag 18" DR34 wheels (838)
      2000 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon

That is incorrect. The car increases damping in advanced... It becomes close to critically damped and that means the force of the pothole is dissipated in a single bounce of the shock instead of over multiple bounces.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast