Intercooler Performance IAT Survey
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Lightbulb Intercooler Performance IAT Survey

Hey guys, since there are a few different intercooler configuration options for the R, I thought it would be good to try to get some data to see how the different systems stack up against each other.

Lots of people on the board now have either VIDA or OBD monitors that allow them to easily keep tabs on their IATs, so its a good time to set up some kind of benchmark we can use to compare our systems with.

While there are still moderate temps available, it would be a good time to try to get people to participate as well.

So here's my idea, when the weather conditions are close to 75 degrees and the car is fully warmed up, try to find an open stretch of relatively flat road or interstate where you can cruise close to 80 MPH for several minutes, preferably when the car hasn't been overly heat soaked either. Then compare the IAT to the outdoor temp, to find the differential. Make sure to do the test within a few degrees of 75 since that is a key parameter, since the differential varies depending on the ambient temps. For example, my IAT differential drops 5 degrees when its freezing out for these particular cruise conditions.

I've chosen a higher speed like 80 since its about where the R's manifold pressure is atmospheric and the engine is running hard enough to be dumping a lot of heat into the turbo. The speed will also provide good airflow through the intercooler both inside and out.

This way we all should be putting about the same amount of heat into the same CFM of charge air, in addition to having the same pressure differentials in the noses of our cars as well, which gives us all the same test parameters to see which intercoolers are performing the best heat exchange overall.

All that being said, I'll start. I have a 15 degree differential between IAT and ambient under such conditions.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

doing wot with open air filter/ ram air setup where before intercooler temps could be as high as 200f or more , temp before TB still drops to about about 20f rather quickly ....at 80 mph 10-15f.

you cant beat these #'s driving around city around noon...

outside temp 93f humid as hell
      temp right before TB 107f
      temp right after turbo 150 - 220
      oil temp 195f
      trans temp 175f

aaaand with open engine bay air filter...tony mahony arent you the one that said my engine bearing will fry without that ****ty oil cooler bypass? ...

Last edited by dougy; 05-20-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding very important info for tony's history book

I will try your method later.

Mods:
      -HKS Type S Intercooler.
      -3.5" DP, 3" Exhaust
      -Snabb Intake
      -AC Delco TCV
      -Stock software

IAT max 10°C (50°F) over ambient temperature.

Video: http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psnpx5ov49.mp4

Last edited by Generation Volvo; 05-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
      Team Dynamics: Pro Race 1.2 ET 30 Snabb: Intake Eibach: Springs Costum: Exhaust HKS: EVC6 Boostcontroller Morimoto: D2S Projector retrofit

A delta over ambient of 10 degrees C is 18 degrees F which is really good.
      2007 S60 R, M66, Titanium/ Nordkap, original owner, stock w/ Drag DR-34 wheels.

Is been a while but my custom bell has actually been a degree lower than outside temp when cruising. Under wot it climbs but not nearly as much as my Yonaka type 10 did.
      05 S60R MT, 578AWHP, 12.2 1/4 mile at 124 mph. Ported GTX3576R, Tial 44MM MVR WG, Tial QR Bov, Enem Y21 Cams, Hilton Tune, 1000cc Id's, 340 LPH Aero pump, Devils Own Progressive injection, 4 In Audi maf, Catless DP, EST CB W Res Del, FMIC, Snabb air box, Poly mounts, Milletech intake manifold, IP plasma coils, Snabb shifter. Viva SMF, Spec Stage 3 +. GB Forgestar F-14's, Enkei RSF5, KW V2'S, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars. Built to the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAV_R View Post
      Is been a while but my custom bell has actually been a degree lower than outside temp when cruising. Under wot it climbs but not nearly as much as my Yonaka type 10 did.

bring that hunk of junk to fl. and you wont beat my #'s with bellzoid...

Quote Originally Posted by TRAV_R View Post
      That's actually impossible, so it sounds like either your IAT or ambient sensor is bad. No heat exchanger can make the hot side output cooler than the cold side input.

05 S60R MT, 578AWHP, 12.2 1/4 mile at 124 mph. Ported GTX3576R, Tial 44MM MVR WG, Tial QR Bov, Enem Y21 Cams, Hilton Tune, 1000cc Id's, 340 LPH Aero pump, Devils Own Progressive injection, 4 In Audi maf, Catless DP, EST CB W Res Del, FMIC, Snabb air box, Poly mounts, Milletech intake manifold, IP plasma coils, Snabb shifter. Viva SMF, Spec Stage 3 +. GB Forgestar F-14's, Enkei RSF5, KW V2'S, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars. Built to the hill.

In addition to the possibility of a bad sensor, you might have a puddle of meth sitting in your intercooler plumbing trying to evaporate away.

When you first start the car after its sat for a long period of time, are the IAT and outside temp readings the same?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      That's actually impossible, so it sounds like either your IAT or ambient sensor is bad. No heat exchanger can make the hot side output cooler than the cold side input.
      Bell intercoolers are so good, they can break the laws of thermodynamics. Do a search, this is well documented.
      2006 Sonicama V70R M66, with every available option!

No puddle I always make sure its clear before putting it away and run smaller jetting then what is recommended. The Bell is top notch. At idle the temp is always higher than outside temp and at start up. Never did it before with Yonaka type 10 I had before the Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfieroman View Post
      Bell intercoolers are so good, they can break the laws of thermodynamics. Do a search, this is well documented.
      Yea I was amazed after installing it and the quality of the core and details when I got it. The whole process of them custom making it with me and their engineer was great.

Also make sure you drive the car for half hour...before you log it.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements