Project Alice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Project Alice

Project Alice

So a couple of years ago I bought a '98 V70 as a replacement for our minivan. We no longer needed a van but I still wanted the ability to lug stuff and was always fond of wagons. Fell in love with it other than it was... slow. Found out these came in an "R" spec and after some research decided I had to have one. After searching for a year, finally, one came up I was interested in. So grabbed the wifey and we took the 8 hour drive to Montreal. The only reason she agreed to go was I had to take her to IKEA, but I could live with that.
      The car was a little rougher shape than I had hoped and has some serious neglect issues, and 290,000 kms but worked out a price that I could live with and brought her home.

Last edited by JeMo; 05-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So we replaced the end links with HD ones from IPD, outer tie rod ends, upper spring seats and strut mounts (I think the old ones were dead Jim)

The upper mounts were looking a little beat so we yanked them out for the shiny new IPD ones

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Bumper looks to be from a standard V70 (non R).

If that's something youre particular about, may want to buy one sooner rather than later. From what my local dealer told me, volvo only has a handful of NOS around. I just bought a used one, took be 4 months to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by icrashcars View Post
      Bumper looks to be from a standard V70 (non R).

If that's something youre particular about, may want to buy one sooner rather than later. From what my local dealer told me, volvo only has a handful of NOS around. I just bought a used one, took be 4 months to find it.
      Ya just not high on the list right now. Watching to see if something does come up, had a chance to buy a pats car but thought about it too long and missed out. Kind of scared to ask the my dealer what a new would cost if came right down to it (We get dirty end of the stick when it comes to parts in Canada, that's why I have been ordering everything through IPD.)

On the topic of bumpers and my adventures, I was at the junkyard and spotted a pair of fog lights in better shape than mine (no brackets though) so snagged them. While changing the old ones the left side of the bumper moved away from the body for some reason. Oh no bumper bolt, beautiful. So either being a sucker for punishment or just pure stupidity (most likely) I decided to remove the bumper to see whats under there. And there goes the other bumper bolt.

Awesome. Let the games begin.
      After some fun (so much fun) finally got the bumper off.

So while waiting for new new mounts and hardware I decided to clean things up a bit, and while things are apart, ditched the headlight wiper motors so I can put in the bumper headlight wiper plugs from Viva.

Bumpers are approx $380 new, unpainted.
      I just scored a mint used bumper for $100. wrong color of course, so will need to be painted.

Im in the middle of a resto-mod of a 1998 V70R.

Youre making nice progress, great attention to detail...good luck.

https://www.volvopartscounter.com/oe...cover-39820549

$249 for a R bumper from my dealership
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite M56H - 119k - The Garage Queen
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/Graphite AW42 - 241k - The Daily
      1995 945 Turbo - 425k, 1994 945 Turbo - 234k, 1993 945 Turbo - 318k

Little bit nicer looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      https://www.volvopartscounter.com/oe...cover-39820549

$249 for a R bumper from my dealership
      I can live with that, the problem is the shipping and crappy dollar. I will have to pick up/order some stuff at the dealer so I can see what it would be here.

Getting my bumper repainted was about $145. Do you have to have front license plates in Canada?
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 151,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 97,6xx /

Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Getting my bumper repainted was about $145. Do you have to have front license plates in Canada?
      Depends on the province. In New Brunswick we do but you can a buy special permit if the vehicle is seasonal. It is good for six months and an extra $50 on top of your regularly priced registration of course.

Everything costs more in canada, including smokes (trailer park boys reference). Also good luck on the car. If you need wiper motors, I may have an extra one laying around...
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 151,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 97,6xx /

/sigh So new R bumper is $425 unpainted, which is fine the car is going to be painted. Will have to think on that one a little.

I was able to score a SC-901 from Ebay for $60, so I removed the single DIN Sony which was wired directly to the stock speakers. Wow did sound bad, and a total hack job on the wiring.

Cleaned up the wiring, solder, shrink and zipped.

I have an after market amp cable coming to add a sub. now I just need to decide if I want to just pull the box from the '98 and finish it or make a new one. For a cheap sub it actually bumps well. I will need to pick up a new amp because I won't need the 5 channel Belle to just run a sub.

These are currently connected to an iPad mini dash install. Thought about it for Alice but decided that I wanted to keep it stock and the 901 is apparently pretty good.

Bear in mind you can select the vehicle for the sc901 sound profile. The choices are coupe, sedan and wagon and it does make a difference. Search sc901 setup for the instructions.
      00 V70R Emerald, 98 v70R saffron, 98 v70r black, 04 v70xc nautic, , 06 xc90 v8 gunmetal, 83 242 Group A med blue metallic, 82 242 DL, 2006 s40 t5a, s40t5m awd RED, s40t5m awd Black, 04 s60r silver.
      Sold-98V70Rm silver, 93 245 silver, 98v70xc sandstone, 96 855r black totaled/parted, 96 855r white, 98 xc70 olive, 99 s70r, 05 s40 t5m (x2) silver, 94 854 na turquoise:

Quote Originally Posted by b2fkb0 View Post
      Bear in mind you can select the vehicle for the sc901 sound profile. The choices are coupe, sedan and wagon and it does make a difference. Search sc901 setup for the instructions.
      Hold down 2 when you turn it on; then push 2 to scroll through the options. There are also preset curves for the S/V40 as they apparently had intended to offer the 901 in that car, too (although I've never seen one equipped as such in any market).

There's also a setting for custom EQ which I'd recommend playing with. You may be able to beat the stock curve depending on what you listen to. I definitely can for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by b2fkb0 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Hold down 2 when you turn it on; then push 2 to scroll through the options. There are also preset curves for the S/V40 as they apparently had intended to offer the 901 in that car, too (although I've never seen one equipped as such in any market).

There's also a setting for custom EQ which I'd recommend playing with. You may be able to beat the stock curve depending on what you listen to. I definitely can for my purposes.
      Awesome, thanks for the tips.
      Amp cable showed up today, of course after I have it all back together again.

So I finally was able to have some time to myself and got back to working on the car. Parts for the front came in so we put that back together. Looking much better

As I was taking things apart and looking at the nasty bolts I decided what the hell and ordered new ones as need. Unfortunately some of the new Volvo hardware is not the same. The bolt on the right is new Volvo one which has a smaller head and washer, the washer was barely big enough so I didn't like that. The left one is what came out, and after a couple of days in apple cider vinegar, some primer and paint we ended up with the one in the middle. The vinegar did a pretty good job.

Replaced the master switch on the drivers door. Poor thing fell apart when I pulled it off, I figured it broke by the previous owner because some of the retainers were broken/missing. But when I took off the back door panel to replace a cracked speaker grille, it too fell apart, and all the retainer tabs came off, /sigh, so we glued it all back together just like a new 17 year old panel

Quote Originally Posted by JeMo View Post
      Replaced the master switch on the drivers door. Poor thing fell apart when I pulled it off, I figured it broke by the previous owner because some of the retainers were broken/missing. But when I took off the back door panel to replace a cracked speaker grille, it too fell apart, and all the retainer tabs came off, /sigh, so we glued it all back together just like a new 17 year old panel

Looking good! For my general education here - am I seeing double, or do you really have two sets of master switches in your driver's door panel?
      My new ride: 1998 S70 T5: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-3-000-dollars
      1998 S70 T5M SE parts car
      1998 S70 GLT fix-n-flip

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements