Diversity antenna boosters
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Are there any modern replacements for the two diversity antenna boosters in the P80 since they're NLA from Volvo? I've done a lot of searching on this site and volvospeed for my 98 v70 to try to self-solve. Not interested in trying 20 year old junk yard parts. I'm getting power to both the main and sub antenna boosters between the c and d pillars, the wiring is sound, and the glass to booster connections look great. Tried different HUs, but same problem; the FM signal cuts to mono quality every few minutes.

By the way, holy moly the SC-901 setup is amazing!

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=241452

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know this sounds pretty basic, but have you checked out multiple stations? Just checkin'...
      We've got one station here that drops in and out constantly and they had me going for a while,
      but after jumping around to everyone else, it turned out that it was just their transmitter.
      All of the other stations hold up great. ( The local PBS affiliate's fidelity is outstanding! )

And +1 on the Alpine/Volvo 901 setup - I still play a lotta CDs with it and drive around happy!
      '98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by BEJinFbk View Post
      I know this sounds pretty basic, but have you checked out multiple stations? Just checkin'...
      All fm stations yield the same problem. Continuity is present on both antenna cables, end to end, but maybe its shielding is loose somewhere. Where does the cable travel - up the roof line or along the floor? If under the floor does it travel under the door sills where I could inspect it?

-Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First thing is to check AM reception
      If the antenna amps are bad the AM should also suffer.
      If AM is good you may have bought a bad radio.
      Is the radio set up properly with the reception set to distance not local?

I have a 901 that's good if it boils down to your HU being bad.
      As for buying used ones, they either work or they don't so for a few dollars it's a cheap attempt to fix it.

HELPFUL HINT:
      On mine we had a similar problem YEARS ago.
      If you unsnap the connector clips to the antenna amps (on the top of the rear side sills in the back, about right in the middle), lightly wire brush them, put a dab of dialectic grease on them and snap them back, that could fix your issue as they corrode a bit over all these years.
      Been fine ever since!
      Last edited by JRL; 05-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

I've tried four HUs now., three 816s and a 901. All of them exhibit the same FM behavior. I'll check the AM this week to get some data points with the 901 in the car right now.

Good tip though Jim above. I'll do a more thorough cleaning of the antenna amplifier connections first. Thx!

-Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

Jim or someone,

Do these antenna connections to the window glass literally snap off for inspection and can be re-snapped back to the glass once cleaned? I don't want to break it.

-Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

Unsnap that dual small snap by the glass. Clean it and snap it back, make sure it's tight
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Reception is certainly better now after cleaning and using dielectric grease on the connections. You're right; it is just like a nine volt battery connection - a two port on the left window and a one-port on the right window.

-Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

My final assessment for this thread:

1. Wire brushed and dielectric greased the three antenna fittings that snap to the window glass.
      2. Used some light pressure to re-mold the two antenna Motorola style fittings at the back of the HU. By this, I mean that I created a bit more tension on this fitting to seat these connections into the HU by doing some careful bending and prying with some old delrin 1/4" sticks I had laying around.

Result: 5 hrs of driving to and from IPD confirmed fantastic AM and FM radio reception!
      -Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements