SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Electric cooling fan issues

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cooper.campbell.iv 
#1 ·
Is anyone experiencing any issues with the electric cooling fan? I have a first edition with about 40k miles on it, and last fall started noticing a fairly persistent and irritating issue with the cooling fan coming on very quickly like pretty much as soon as I reach operating temp, and kicking into high gear with routine driving. This will happen if I drive around my neighborhood for 15 minutes- comfort mode, barely even going over 25 mph or 2k rpms. In the first year and a half I owned this car I only remember really hearing the cooling fan once, after a very steep, long driveway climb directly following a long highway (65-70 mph) drive.
Importantly, when the fan kicks on out of actual necessity like when I did this steep driveway, it will supercede both start/stop and even turning off the engine: the fan will stay on, at the appropriate speed, even after turning off the car. This is normal operation. My fan, however, will be at full blast (very easily heard inside the cabin) but will shut right off for both start/stop and if I turn the engine off. My girlfriend and other passengers often remark how loud this car is when I roll up to pick them up.
Mentioned this issue last time I brought it in for service and of course when I picked it up I was told the mechanic checked it out and everything seemed to be operating normally. This is a very easy to reproduce, happens 100% of the time problem so I brought it back today to do a drive with the tech to point out the issue. At first he told me this is how all fans sound, how all xc90s sound, totally normal. We do a lengthy test drive in another xc90 that they have and he was unable to make the cooling fan kick on even at all really. Yet still won't really acknowledge that mine seems suspect! He said "well there's a software update so if you want to leave it we can take a look at it" but I'm reluctant to waste more time with this place. Fwiw this mechanic gave me a rundown of how he's worked for Volvo for so long and has dealt with "thousands" of xc90s and I kind of believe him so it's super frustrating. Bottom line, I've driven this car for two years, 40k miles and I know what it sounds like and this isn't normal!
Anyone experiencing anything like this? Any help greatly appreciated before I try to tackle this again with a dealer.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry I never actually heard my electric radiator fan from inside the cabin. I am in a colder climate and summer is late to arrive around here. But since you did back to back test with another XC90 with same ambient temperature, your right it doesn't sound normal behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.