2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

IPD's instructions are better IMHO.

Why?
      Just go to the ipd website
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You are A Smart a**

bump

I like the drain and fill with the 24mm box-end wrench and letting it drain out...

...and then to replace the 24mm bolt and put back in a new amount of what came out.

That thread was started in 2006. IPD instructions are the way to go.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Article says:

1.) The tools required are few: Along neck funnel to access and reach the dipstick and transmission filler tube, a 15/16 or 24mm box/open end (not a 1/2" drive ratchet since it will not fit between the drain plug and the rear brake fluid lines
      ^^ put roughly 6" of extension on it, and it will clear it. I used to have a 12" extension bar on my ratchet, so, while this made it unnecessarily long, I was able to clear the referenced lines, which the article is right, do get in the way if you don't have enough extension (or any at all) and are trying to use a ratchet and socket. This is how I did my very first drain and fills, before I discovered that using a wrench really is easier. Article may have made mention about how there had to be more extension to do this on a model year 2000, but with a 1/2" drive, I was able to get it to work that way. This is one of those things where 3/8" drive is not big enough.

When I did this a couple of months ago, I was most pleasantly surprised by how using a wrench (even a 12-point box end) and using its leverage made that bolt come off 1-2-3, and made me question if I would go back to the socket way, as it's slightly harder when using it, and perhaps unnecessarily so. Thing is, I had been using the ratchet for everything.

But, yeah, I agree a 24mm closed box-end wrench is the easiest way to get that off. Even a 12-point. Haven't seen a rounded-off bolt of that yet.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements