2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control

I have had a problem with my 2001 S60 since I got it. The fuel door doesn't lock. I never know it was supposed to so didn't care. Now that I know it is driving me crazy.

Here are the symptoms: It will unlock. If I manually push the actuator to the lock position and press my remote unlock - it unlocks. When I lock the car using the remote or door mounted switch it will not lock.

I used a voltage meter to probe the connector and found +12 volts when I hit the unlock button. I expected -12 volts when I hit lock, but I got nothing.

Any suggestions other than replacing an expensive security module.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (plachner)

The fuel door will not lock until the car goes a certain speed, like about 5-10 mph.

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (dmarcus48)

So I get out of my car and lock it, but the fuel door will only lock if I then drive it over 5 mph?? Am I missing something?

I am almost certain that nobody will steal my gas while I'm travelling over 5-10 mph. I've seen this comment before in posts but I'm just not bright enough to get it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here's the story...you stop for gas hit the unlock button...fill up...get back in car and start to drive....if you listen carefully you will hear a little click that's the fuel door locking...it is now locked until you push the unlock button.

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (FredO)

Thanks dmarcus48 and FredO.

Definitely not working as designed. I've tried evey combination of driving with doors locked and unlocked and then checking the fuel door. The darn thing just never locks.

Since I know the wiring is OK from the module to the actuator (see original post) I can only assume the module is not sending the lock signal. Either it:
      a - Doesn't know I went over 10 mph (no speed signal).
      b - Has a circuit defect that prevents it from applying lock voltage.
      c - Has a software defect (very unlikely).

Does anyone know where the module is located? Or perhaps you suggest I just get a life and quit worrying about my silly fuel door lock.

The fuel door is designed to lock 10 minutes after the car is locked.

Re: (VolvoLT)

VolvoLT

Apparently I have the unique model and year that never locks. I locked my car 2 hours ago and my fuel door is still swingin' in the breeze.

It's not like I ever expect that anyone will steal my gas. I am just amazed that such a simple feature can create such confusion - 10 mph - 10 min. What ever happened to locking when I push LOCK and unlocking when I push UNLOCK?

Forget the laywers, let's shoot the engineers.

Oh, boys!
      01s are the only year that the fuel door don't lock.
      There is no button to push to open it either
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (JRL)

Just expanding on what VolvoLT said........

The fuel door does lock....its not the 5-10mph thing either as stated above. If you have the patience to stand there at the car for 5-10 minutes after locking your doors you will see and or hear the gas door lock if you're looking at it. The gas door will only lock 5-10 minutes after the doors have been locked. The locking mechanism is pretty weak.....it's only a pin that slides into place through the loop on the gas door itself.

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (Maynard)

For a MY2001 S60, read here: http://apps.volvocars.us/owner...pg127

For a MY2002 S60, read here: http://apps.volvocars.us/owner...pg130 and here: http://apps.volvocars.us/owner...#pg40

Hopefully, this is now settled.

2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD)
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

if it doesnt lock in like 15 mins...its probably a bad lock motor...easy fix

Re: (garbergtsi)

Why would you want it to lock AFTER 15 minutes and obviously UNlock when you turn off the car,
      What's the point?
      01 was the only year without a fuel door button on the dash

for once, JRL is wrong.

the fuel lock button UNLOCKS the door...
      the 01's do LOCK! i know, i have one...

there is locking logic in the REM for this....it locks after 15 minutes in case you are at the pump and want to lock the car...but the fuel door doesnt lock immediatly, so you can fill it up.
      The fuel door will unlock w/ the other doors on the 01 models

A USA option. The car locks, but the fuel door won't lock befor 10 minutes. It's configurable in VADIS/VIDA.

A shop could connect the computer to the car and test the function of the lock attenuator.

Quote, originally posted by garbergtsi »
      for once, JRL is wrong.

there is locking logic in the REM for this....it locks after 15 minutes in case you are at the pump and want to lock the car...but the fuel door doesnt lock immediatly, so you can fill it up.

I owned an 01XC for 3 years and there NEVER was a time when it was locked (while at a stop, engine running, engine off, didn't matter)
      I've put gas in MANY 01s the door is always unlocked

for once, JRL is wrong.

There IS NO fuel lock button on 01s, do you see one on your dashboard?

Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      I owned an 01XC for 3 years and there NEVER was a time when it was locked (while at a stop, engine running, engine off, didn't matter)
      I've put gas in MANY 01s the door is always unlocked

My parent's 2001 V70 T5 works like described in the above online links to the owners manuals for 2001 models. US Spec 2001 V70s/S60s have the fuel door lock when the doors are locked, and unlocked with the doors are unlocked (keyfob, door switch). 2002 and newer have a button on the dash.

Bottom line, ALL S60/V70/XC70/S80 models from all years have a locking fuel door, the only difference is how it's operated. Again, see the owners manual(s) for details.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

There IS NO fuel lock button on 01s, do you see one on your dashboard?

Nope, again see the above links to the owners manuals. My family has both 2001 and 2002 model year vehicles. Both have a locking fuel door, but operate differently as has already been described ad naseum. If you never noticed that your 2001 XC fuel door locked, then you must have always had the doors unlocked when you fuel.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

OK Guys. I give up. I'll never inquire about a locking fuel door again.

It is supposed to lock. No I don't have a button on the dash for this. But there's a darn actuator back there. Being an automotive engineer I know we don't give away actuators and wiring if there is no feature.

It doesn't lock after 10 minutes, or 10 miles, or 10 days. When I wedge my finger into the actuator and manually push it to the lock position I can then unlock it with my key fob, but it never locks.

End of discussion. Please feel free to come steal my $3 a gallon gas.

Quote, originally posted by plachner »

End of discussion. Please feel free to come steal my $3 a gallon gas.

Pffft, I'm getting 92 octane for aboue $2.25 now

then you probably need a new lock motor...
      youd think a engineer would have been able to figure this one out.

It doesn't lock after 10 minutes, or 10 miles, or 10 days. When I wedge my finger into the actuator and manually push it to the lock position I can then unlock it with my key fob, but it never locks.

Re: 2001 S60 Fuel Door Lock Control (garbergtsi)

Very snide. To be correct it's an actuator not a motor.

The actuator is fine. I tested it with +12v and -12v. There is a -12V signal from the harness when I press the unlock on my key fob. But there is never a +12v signal. I am guessing it is the security module which is undoubtedly expensive.

If I wanted "probably" from an uninformed source I would have gone to the dealer.

for once, JRL is wrong.

There IS NO FUEL DOOR BUTTON ON 01s

There IS NO FUEL DOOR BUTTON ON 01s

Quite true. However, when you said

Quote »
      Oh, boys!
      01s are the only year that the fuel door don't lock.

That was blatantly wrong because they do lock by themselves about 10 minutes after the key fob lock button is pushed, as stated previously, to let you lock the car and go tank up. Of course, that leaves the gas cap unlocked every time you leave the car, hence the button put into the dash on '02s and later so the driver can control the lock/unlock sequence on the fuel door.

My '01 locks this way. So garbergtsi is right, JRL was wrong.

Re: (JPL Guy)

Quote, originally posted by JPL Guy »

Quite true. However, when you said

That was blatantly wrong because they do lock by themselves about 10 minutes after the key fob lock button is pushed, as stated previously, to let you lock the car and go tank up. Of course, that leaves the gas cap unlocked every time you leave the car, hence the button put into the dash on '02s and later so the driver can control the lock/unlock sequence on the fuel door.

My '01 locks this way. So garbergtsi is right, JRL was wrong.

FINALLY!!! Someone got it right (along with Warpedcow)! Sheesh!!! It's not rocket science, you know?

Tis was a very amusing thread!

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Have you checked the relay? for some reason i think there is acually 2 relays that control this. one that locks it, and one that unlocks it.

I am guessing it is the security module which is undoubtedly expensive.

If I wanted "probably" from an uninformed source I would have gone to the dealer.

what is a security module?

and if you went to the dealer, it would be fixed right now and you wouldnt be here talking about it...

What is the solution for your problem?

I replaced the relay, replaced the motor and the problem still there.

Never locks the fuel door..

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements