Strange Idling Sound When Warm
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Strange Idling Sound When Warm

I've had this problem for awhile, but it seems to be getting worse. Its an 06 2.5.

So when the car fully warm, with the AC on and you restart it after going somewhere (starts fine), the car seems to make a gurgling noise, almost like when a fan bearing is going out (whether its a PC fan or house fan). That's the best way I can describe it. The idle is steady and it doesn't stall. But the noise is definetly noticeable with a slight vibration. It only happens when the car is fully warm and the AC on. If you turn off the AC, the noise goes away.

It first appeared a couple of years ago during a 110+ degree trip in Las Vegas. You can hear the noise while driving, but everything worked properly. It seems like the AC unit was struggling to beat the heat. I just attributed it to the heat. But lately, the problem is happening all the time when the car is warm and AC on. It even gets worse when idling and you slightly tug on the steering wheel. The noise gets a little louder and the vibration heavier.

Any ideas whats going on?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

sounds like it's the compressor. have you had the AC coolant levels checked?
      2010 XC90 V8 - 45k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 97k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Yeah could be the bearings on the compressor pulley giving out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I too am thinking the compressor, but shouldn't it make noise if the AC is on regardless if the motor is hot or cold? Mine is only doing it when hot. I googled for symptoms of a bad AC, most of the videos I've seen have a louder noise, a grinding noise coming from the bearings. Mine is more of a low sound, like an ebbing and surging idle. But if you look at the tach, the idle is steady.

check out this thread from a few years ago. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...light=ac+growl
      2010 XC90 V8 - 45k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 97k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

It's official now, my compressor seems dead.

So I checked the refrigerant level and it was low, below 30 at 85 ambient. Bought a DYI kit with gauges and started refilling the system. Got it to 35 PSI with one can and the car seemed to run better, it wasnt surging as much. Bought a second can and just started filling it when the engine fan suddenly kicked into high gear, I'm talking jet engine high (well not that high, but you get the idea). When the AC was turned off, the engine fan spun less.

Took it to my mechanic and he said the Compressor is no longer turning, so the engine fan is trying to cool everything at once.

Needless to say, the refrigerant just added more flame to the fire and killed the compressor once and for all. Of course this has to happen on a day when its 100 and will be 105 over the next 2-3 days....lol

Quote Originally Posted by RS250 Chester View Post
      It's official now, my compressor seems dead.

So I checked the refrigerant level and it was low, below 30 at 85 ambient. Bought a DYI kit with gauges and started refilling the system. Got it to 35 PSI with one can and the car seemed to run better, it wasnt surging as much. Bought a second can and just started filling it when the engine fan suddenly kicked into high gear, I'm talking jet engine high (well not that high, but you get the idea). When the AC was turned off, the engine fan spun less.

Took it to my mechanic and he said the Compressor is no longer turning, so the engine fan is trying to cool everything at once.

Needless to say, the refrigerant just added more flame to the fire and killed the compressor once and for all. Of course this has to happen on a day when its 100 and will be 105 over the next 2-3 days....lol
      You gotta go to a shop to fill refrigerant. It takes a lot more than a do it yourself can. It should thank them a minimum 15 minutes on the machine. Also their machine will find a leak instantly.

First things first, if your going to pull the compressor you have to take it to a shop and drain the refrigerant. That stuff is so poisonous its illegal to drain it without a certified machine. Draining a/c take a bit of time.

Check the serpentine belt on the compressor for crack on the teeth or wearing. If it has any imperfection replace it. It's less than $50 and it'll save you from a jam. Inspect the o-rings on the a/c lines connecting to the compressor. That's usually the weakest link. Another cheap fix.

The a.c. compressor just cools you, just you. The engine fan is for the engine bay aerodynamics for the radiators and condenser. The condenser is for the refrigerant. When the a/c kicks on there is a sensor that reads the temp of the condenser and communicates with the fan to kick on or off. If it's going jet speed I would keep all body parts and valuables as far from the engine bay as you can and shut off the engine. You might have messed with the high and low pressures of the line and it's not cycling through the condenser at all.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements