T5 Polestar?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: T5 Polestar?

T5 Polestar?

Hey all - I have a T5 AWD R-Design on order for OSD pickup in Sept.

I've been emailing the FDC and various local dealers about adding the Polestar tuning, but each one is giving conflicting facts on whether this is possible, given that the engine is the T5.

The Polestar website says this should be possible - https://www.polestar.com/us/product/...utomatic-2017/

Does anyone here have any insight as to whether the Polestar tune can be loaded on a T5 AWD XC90?
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD R-Design | Onyx Black | B&W | 22" Wheels | Carbon Inlays | Convenience | OSD Pickup Sept 2017

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by amiller89 View Post
      Hey all - I have a T5 AWD R-Design on order for OSD pickup in Sept.

I've been emailing the FDC and various local dealers about adding the Polestar tuning, but each one is giving conflicting facts on whether this is possible, given that the engine is the T5.

The Polestar website says this should be possible - https://www.polestar.com/us/product/...utomatic-2017/

Does anyone here have any insight as to whether the Polestar tune can be loaded on a T5 AWD XC90?
      Yes, it has been available for a couple of months, now. Part #31673440. It increased the hp by 8 and adds 37 lbs/ft of torque.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yes, it has been available for a couple of months, now. Part #31673440. It increased the hp by 8 and adds 37 lbs/ft of torque.
      258 + 37 = 295, same torque as T6 standard? That is a lot, almost turns T5 to a T6.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      258 + 37 = 295, same torque as T6 standard? That is a lot, almost turns T5 to a T6.
      Well, not exactly. The delivery of that torque is quite different.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

FDC got back to me - reason they said it wasn't available is because they don't have MY2018s listed as being eligible for Polestar yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD R-Design | Onyx Black | B&W | 22" Wheels | Carbon Inlays | Convenience | OSD Pickup Sept 2017

The power and torque increase on the T5 polestar is all midrange. You do not get a large boost at the bottom end. Polestar has asked the dealers to speak about the midrange gains and transmission shifting performance rather than bottom line HP increases. I was planning on doing the polestar on my T5 S90 until I saw what my cost was and compared it to the gains i would get. It was laughable.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      The power and torque increase on the T5 polestar is all midrange. You do not get a large boost at the bottom end. Polestar has asked the dealers to speak about the midrange gains and transmission shifting performance rather than bottom line HP increases. I was planning on doing the polestar on my T5 S90 until I saw what my cost was and compared it to the gains i would get. It was laughable.
      Well, you should know better than any here that "seeing the gains" is not the same as "experiencing".

You should load Polestar optimization to your car and try it for a couple of weeks; what do you have to lose? If you do not like it, simply "return" the software back to the database and you will get your money back; all Polestar downloads come with a 30-da money back guarantee.

Well, you should know better than any here that "seeing the gains" is not the same as "experiencing".

You should load Polestar optimization to your car and try it for a couple of weeks; what do you have to lose? If you do not like it, simply "return" the software back to the database and you will get your money back; all Polestar downloads come with a 30-da money back guarantee.
      I understand the return policy and even considered it a few weeks ago but $1000 my cost after tax is still not worth it.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Since your labor is free, this means Volvo charges $1000 to the dealers for this software download. Interesting.

Didn't know this was out yet for the T5, I was waiting to see it popup in the big Polestar thread. I wonder if I should get the 2-3rd gear jerkiness TSB done before or would this upgrade also fix it?
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invi-hitch

I understand the return policy and even considered it a few weeks ago but $1000 my cost after tax is still not worth it.
      Even though you would be able to buy it at cost, would you be able to send in for the $200 rebate VCNA is offering for Polestar tunes? I'm assuming all they want to see is Proof of Purchase receipt from the dealer. My buddy got a Rebate form from VCNA when he purchased his 2017 S60RD which brought the cost down to just over $1000.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Even though you would be able to buy it at cost, would you be able to send in for the $200 rebate VCNA is offering for Polestar tunes?
      Any idea whether this rebate is only for specific models, or if it's available for an XC90 tune? My googling didn't find any available rebates, but I'm hoping to add P* when I bring mine in for the software upgrade in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
      Any idea whether this rebate is only for specific models, or if it's available for an XC90 tune? My googling didn't find any available rebates, but I'm hoping to add P* when I bring mine in for the software upgrade in the next few weeks.
      You have to call up the Toll Free Number for VCNA and speak to a customer representative and they'll email you a rebate form; my buddy got the rebate check back in less than 2 weeks.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

You have to call up the Toll Free Number for VCNA and speak to a customer representative and they'll email you a rebate form; my buddy got the rebate check back in less than 2 weeks.
      Oh, nice. Any time requirement? Is this available whenever you got Polestar tune? So everyone should give them a call, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      Oh, nice. Any time requirement? Is this available whenever you got Polestar tune? So everyone should give them a call, to be fair.
      I don't think there was any time requirement or if you must have bought a new vehicle within say 3-6 months; because they gave a rebate to his brother who owns a 2010 XC60RD. It's worth giving them a call and seeing if you they'll give you the rebate form.

I just called and received the rebate form via email, thanks for the tip! The rebate form is actually for 30% off (up to $200) for any parts required during service, so it's not specific to Polestar. Also, he confirmed that the rebate is based on whatever the parts value is on the dealer invoice, so it can be combined with dealer specials.

My dealer has a 10% off coupon, so combined with rebate, Polestar will be less than $1,000 before tax.

Lots of satisfied Polestar customer for the T6 which gained around 9% mid range torque. For the T5 the gain is around 14.5%. Numbers looks good to me. A torque curve compared to stock from Polestar would be even more helpful.

2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invi-hitch

I wouldn't say months... See below comment from May 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoracer12 View Post
      Hi, I apologize if it has been asked. I tried to do a search on the forums. Any info on the T5 XC90 Polestar Tune for the US? Thanks!

Should be ready in 3-4 weeks.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...81#post5055881

You guys keep referring to VCNA for the Volvo parts rebate. Canada which is part of North America, do not receive the rebate. I emailed and called Volvo Canada and no such luck here. Strange.

"VCNA serves as the marketing, sales, parts, service, and technology and training arm of the 60-year brand for auto dealers in the US, as well as leads Volvo automotive operations Canada."

I think you guys are calling/emailing Volvo Car USA, not VCNA.

Last edited by PhatboyC; 06-21-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Received word from Polestar that MY2018 XC90s are slated to be ready for Polestar optimization by week 29 (July 23), or at least the T5 is.

Strange that 2016 and 2017 be ready now and not 2018? Must be a fuel economy certification thing?

Failure to have HP and torques curves from Polestar here are two independent ones for the T5 engine (just differently tuned for the S60). Talk about torque a la diesel.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ust-Intake-etc

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements