Problems with aging parts.....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Problems with aging parts.....

Disclaimer, I know nothing lasts forever and I understand that buying a 10+ year old car is a crap shoot. I'm just trying to educate myself.

Have there been a lot of problems with some of the 'fancier' option that were available?

I'm looking at a 2007 3.2 with the Versatility Package. It has options like the bi xenon headlights that turn, rear AC, folding mirrors, parking assist.

Has anyone had problems with these failing? I haven't seen anything online, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi there,
      My 2005 V8 has all these options and more and none failed. However i just replaced the original stock Bi-xenon bulb couple weeks ago $28 for the pair on Amazon works greats (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Everything works like a charm, Park assist, folding mirrors, rear AC, Nav system, radio, 6 cd changer. Just love it
      cheers
      2005 XC90 V8 95k

My '06 V8 has Versatility, Touring, Convenience and RSE (rear seat entertainment), and everything works properly... except for the missing headphones, but the system does work, and sound can be set to play through the rear speakers. Mine doesn't have xenon, and I'm thankful, based on past experience with the '04 I had with them. However, I think the '07s have projectors, which would make them much better than the previous version. They worked fine (no physical issues), but the light output was terrible, especially when using high beams.

The only electrical issue I've discovered, so far, is a failing clock spring that temporarily disables stability control if I turn the wheel too tight. It usually clears up within a few minutes of driving, so I'm not in a hurry to fix it.

But, yes... my rear park assist, folding mirrors, rear AC, moonroof, rain sensing wipers and everything else appears to be working fine. I do wish the rear sensors were a bit more sensitive, but they do work.
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Versatility, Touring, Convenience and RSE packages.
      Past: 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Th3 View Post
      I'm looking at a 2007 3.2 with the Versatility Package. It has options like the bi xenon headlights that turn, rear AC, folding mirrors, parking assist.

Has anyone had problems with these failing? I haven't seen anything online, but I wanted to ask.
      I have a 08 2.5 with folding mirrors, rear AC and front and rear park assist. Only the front park assist gave me problem once, one of the sensors went bad. Otherwise all is good.
      08/09 XC90 2.5T Non-US market 78k miles

Quote Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
      My '06 V8 has Versatility, Touring, Convenience and RSE (rear seat entertainment), and everything works properly... except for the missing headphones, but the system does work, and sound can be set to play through the rear speakers. Mine doesn't have xenon, and I'm thankful, based on past experience with the '04 I had with them. However, I think the '07s have projectors, which would make them much better than the previous version. They worked fine (no physical issues), but the light output was terrible, especially when using high beams.

The only electrical issue I've discovered, so far, is a failing clock spring that temporarily disables stability control if I turn the wheel too tight. It usually clears up within a few minutes of driving, so I'm not in a hurry to fix it.

But, yes... my rear park assist, folding mirrors, rear AC, moonroof, rain sensing wipers and everything else appears to be working fine. I do wish the rear sensors were a bit more sensitive, but they do work.
      I've replaced a clockspring in a 05 xc90 and it is not fun. You can get them cheap from junk yard. Find a column with a blown airbag, popping off the airbag from behind the steering wheel is the hardest part. Maybe an hour or more of fiddling. Soft spin three time right, three times left if it doesn't over spin its good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the responses so far. As I though, I should have nothing to worry about. I am going to have our family mechanic look the truck over before I make the final decision.

I had to do a clock spring in a 1996 VW Passat and it was also a PITA. I think after a few tries I finally got it installed correctly. I had almost given up.

Nevermind
      Last edited by Th3; 06-19-2017 at 10:14 AM.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements