Reducing s90 road noise
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Reducing s90 road noise

I have been thinking about the s90 road noise.I am not aware of a fix but I assume it is either generating through the rear subframe or rear wheel arches.
      I took off the cover by the battery and the rear arches have no sound treatment I can see.Some sound deadening may reduce or prevent any drumming provided I can avoid fire risk with the battery close.
      I seem to remember with some other car brands similar issues were addressed by changing bushes on the subframe.That seems unwise without Volvo guidance but someone may have looked at this.
      Has anyone looked at these possibilities or any others ?
      The agent is sending the car for some other retrofitting anyway and I will explore with them but any ideas would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maybe try some sound deadening material like Dynamat inside the car around the wheel wells if it's possible to get access.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Yeah, there needs to be more sound deadening used in the rear end. I had a Lexus GS that had that tough trunk material literally exposed to the rear tires inside the wheel wells, and thought it was odd. On second thought, it's brilliant. You don't get gravel pings and other noises like that coming from the back. It's stopped before it hits metal (or plastic).

Not sure if this makes sense without seeing it, but in essence they used a tough dampening material to line the wheel wells that face the tires, instead of in the trunk behind all the action.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Afrosheen View Post
      Yeah, there needs to be more sound deadening used in the rear end. I had a Lexus GS that had that tough trunk material literally exposed to the rear tires inside the wheel wells, and thought it was odd. On second thought, it's brilliant. You don't get gravel pings and other noises like that coming from the back. It's stopped before it hits metal (or plastic).

Not sure if this makes sense without seeing it, but in essence they used a tough dampening material to line the wheel wells that face the tires, instead of in the trunk behind all the action.
      My V70 R has that material as well.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

We just returned from a trip from KC to NY state and didn't really notice a lot of road noise. Of course it depends on the road but I wouldn't say it's any worse than my wife's old E350.

We have the Inscription with 20" wheels. Could there be a difference between the Inscription and the Momemtum models?

Mine is a fully loaded inscription with Pirelli 20" but they don't spec laminated glass here.The only times I've been in a merc is as a taxi so I can't comment.
      In U.K. Seems to be variable experience too.We have rough chip here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My S90 with the upgraded 19" wheels and Continental tires is completely silent on the road. I am not sure what you are talking about....? The only time my vehicle is even just a little loud is when the road is torn up prior to new asphalt.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      My S90 with the upgraded 19" wheels and Continental tires is completely silent on the road. I am not sure what you are talking about....? The only time my vehicle is even just a little loud is when the road is torn up prior to new asphalt.
      Certainly the U.K. Sites note that the problem seems to be with 20 inch wheels but even then it varies.i wonder I'd find it is the seal surface. You may have the ultra fine asphalt whereas ours is a course chip.good to hear you have no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements