A Facelift for the Saff (Pic laden)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Facelift for the Saff (Pic laden)

The paintwork on my wagon wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't great. When I bought the car from JRL back in June of 2010, it was obvious that the driver's side doors had been repainted at some point, and there was some slight clear coat peel on the bottom corners of each and also developing around the driver door handle. The paint had been blended pretty well but a car person could definitely tell. I lived with it, and even covered the clear coat peel on the bottom edges of the doors with some old "Stage 3 R" stickers we made on the printer back when I worked at iPd. The roof had some odd splotches where the clear coat had been eaten away, and I was never clear if this was the result of bird crap, caustic wiper fluid, or perhaps just a few East Coast winters. I've never seen this type of damage on a P80 before, and I really wish I would have taken some fricking "before" pictures. I contemplated doing a vinyl wrap of the roof, then decided that was just hokey and ultimately not the solution I would have been happy with.

The other aspect of my car's cosmetic appearance that never sat well with me, despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise, was the tan interior. The interior was in great shape as tan '98 R interiors go, but the driver seat was really starting to show dirt and wear, and also the glare from the tan dash pad was actually dangerous in certain scenarios.

About 2-3 years ago I caught wind of a 60,xxx mile Saffron R wagon up for sale here in Portland. The sellers were a little Volvo shop over near Multnomah Village in Southwest Portland, and apparently they scored this one owner car from auction with a bum transmission, but was an otherwise immaculate example complete with a minty charcoal interior. I would have bought it myself if I could have swung it at the time, but fortunately a good friend of mine from college ended up picking it up. Unfortunately this winter his wife was rear-ended while at a stop light and the car was totaled due to the damage. Amazingly, the rear bumper absorbed mostly all of the punishment, but the rear was all sorts of twisted up and both rear quarters were bent up, and frame damage was obvious. I bought it from my friend for $1,300 including a full set of iPd 18" Pegs as well as the original meteors. Other than the Pegs and some wheel spacers the car was left bone stock. I took a train up to Seattle and drove the limping warrior back to Portland.

I used this opportunity to swap in the immaculate charcoal interior and to also replace the A/C evaporator core and heater core. I replaced every speaker with those from the donor, as several of mine were toast. I also poached all four doors, both front fenders, the hood, and a near perfect front bumper. I did have the front bumper repainted and the body shop (Straight Line Auto Body, PDX) hung the fenders as well as the radiator core support, which was prettier than the one on my car. I also had them install some brand new Jewel headlights and turn signals as the others were beginning to show their age after 6+ years. This solved most of my paint work issues, with the exception of the roof. So, I had them re-spray my roof and consequently replace the front windshield.

I got it back from the shop yesterday evening, and today I washed, clay-bar'd, and hand waxed it. Because the front clip (hood and front fenders) and all four doors were off of the same car you literally cannot tell that those panels are not original to the car. The rear doors match exceptionally well with the both rear quarters. The trim above the doors on the driver side is slightly sun-faded, but you have to really be scrutinizing it to tell. In a stroke of luck the window tint on his doors exactly matched (3M 20%) the existing tint, so I didn't even need to redo the rear window tint. With only painting the roof and front bumper it feels like I have a freshly repainted vehicle. The donor car was garage kept always, pretty clearly. Stoked.

Here we go:

Last edited by Saffron-R; 06-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
      1998 V70R, M58 AWD Manual, B5244T5, 4T4 turbo, Beüst COP, DW300 fuel pump, DW 650cc injectors, ipd diverter, ipd intercooler, DO88 RIP, turbo inlet, and aluminum radiator, Audi A8 3" MAF housing, R manifold, 3" CJ downpipe, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Kaplhenke dbl adjustable front&rear coilovers, ipd sways/strut brace, Porsche BBK front, rear '00 VR vented rotors/calipers, Heico Volution X's, '04 Jewels.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That looks really REALLY great!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      That looks really REALLY great!

Thanks Jim!

Also, I had them color match my iPd strut tower brace. Too much???... Nahhhh

1998 V70R, M58 AWD Manual, B5244T5, 4T4 turbo, Beüst COP, DW300 fuel pump, DW 650cc injectors, ipd diverter, ipd intercooler, DO88 RIP, turbo inlet, and aluminum radiator, Audi A8 3" MAF housing, R manifold, 3" CJ downpipe, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Kaplhenke dbl adjustable front&rear coilovers, ipd sways/strut brace, Porsche BBK front, rear '00 VR vented rotors/calipers, Heico Volution X's, '04 Jewels.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow. Just, wow.

What are you doing with the tan interior?
      Last edited by Big Will; 06-18-2017 at 12:46 AM.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
      Wow. Just, wow.

What are you doing with the tan interior?
      Will! Always great to see you on this forum. Fewer and fewer old timers around these days on SS.

I gave the door panels to my friend Elliot who did the interior swap for me and I gave the seats to Paul (98v70t5man). Literally everything else from the donor car is gone. I wish I had some pictures of the carcass that was left. Sad, really. As much as it benefited me for the car to be wrecked, it pains me that such a perfect original car was lost. Saffron, no less.

Hope all is well!

-Brandon

Really outstanding. Great interior choice and what a result after that effort! It's gorgeous.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Absolutely Gorgeous!! Well done man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '00 V70R 77k
      '72 1800es
      '16 V70XC
      '98 S70 T5 - SOLD
      '06 XC90 V8 - RIP Parting out.. PM me

Absolutely Beautiful! A VERY LUCKY CAR TO HAVE YOU AS AN OWNER!
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron-R View Post
      Will! Always great to see you on this forum. Fewer and fewer old timers around these days on SS.

I gave the door panels to my friend Elliot who did the interior swap for me and I gave the seats to Paul (98v70t5man). Literally everything else from the donor car is gone. I wish I had some pictures of the carcass that was left. Sad, really. As much as it benefited me for the car to be wrecked, it pains me that such a perfect original car was lost. Saffron, no less.

Hope all is well!

-Brandon
      Hey! I'm trying to keep up a bit more on the forums as I had kind of disappeared for a year or so. Hopefully will have a few updates this summer on my own wagon.

That's good to hear that the parts went into some other enthusiasts' cars because that interior was in amazing shape (As an oak interior owner I'm not as bothered by the tan ).

All the best!
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

Stunning! Great job!

Awesome, Brandon. Beautiful. I was lucky enough to see this car in person and meet a very nice guy. I intend to get these seats restored for my car.

What's the wire loom zipped to the strut bar for? I had to zoom in to see if it was for ohlins damping cartridges.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

Thanks so much for all of the kind words. It's been quite a journey with this car and it feels great to be nearing completion, if there is such a thing for Volvophiles like us. The task is sisyphean at times.

I did a COP conversion from Aaron at Beüst last summer and he did his best to integrate Marco's MTE tune, but it's just not right so soon I'll be getting a full re-tune by Beüst and the car will be done.

Famous last words, hahaha.

Thanks again for all of the compliments!

Also, to answer your question Paul the looming on the strut brace is for my wideband. I think I'll rout it under the cowl or at least along the top of the firewall for a cleaner look.

Wow learn something every day. Sisyphean is (a new word for me) - seemingly what YOU encountered but rather than eternity, you pulled it off and can now enjoy. GIANT goal for me to do something like this one day. It must be terribly stressful and expensive, but really rewarding.
      Thanks so much for all of the kind words. It's been quite a journey with this car and it feels great to be nearing completion, if there is such a thing for Volvophiles like us. The task is sisyphean at times.

I did a COP conversion from Aaron at Beüst last summer and he did his best to integrate Marco's MTE tune, but it's just not right so soon I'll be getting a full re-tune by Beüst and the car will be done.

Famous last words, hahaha.

Thanks again for all of the compliments!

Also, to answer your question Paul the looming on the strut brace is for my wideband. I think I'll rout it under the cowl or at least along the top of the firewall for a cleaner look.
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Wow learn something every day. Sisyphean is (a new word for me) - seemingly what YOU encountered but rather than eternity, you pulled it off and can now enjoy. GIANT goal for me to do something like this one day. It must be terribly stressful and expensive, but really rewarding.
      I try to not think about the expense. I've been through three motors, including a fully built motor, RSI forgot to refill my original M58 with gear oil and destroyed it, I put my car in a ditch 5 years ago and damaged the original hood, front bumper and front left fender, I've run a 16T, and 18T, a K24, and finally the 4T4, two complete sets of OE Jewels (because I'm anal-retentive), multiple different wheel sets... good grief, that's just some. I don't bother tallying what I have into the car anymore but it's not sane or reasonable. Thank goodness my wife doesn't read my Swedespeed posts, lol.
      Last edited by Saffron-R; 06-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Well, it is a labor of love, for sure. Can't imagine not having a car that is enjoyable. Even if my car is run of the mill, I love it. It's what we do.

We all hope that. LOL!
      I don't bother tallying what I have into the car anymore but it's not sane or reasonable. Thank goodness my wife doesn't read my Swedespeed posts, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Well, it is a labor of love, for sure. Can't imagine not having a car that is enjoyable. Even if my car is run of the mill, I love it. It's what we do.

We all hope that. LOL!
      That's the truth!

The fact is, even when this car was bone stock I still loved it the same as I do today.

June, 2010 while camping in the Appalachians on my way home from Devon, Pennsylvania when I bought it:

Has it been 7 years?
      Time sure flies by when you get old!

You're not finished, the ROOF, remember?
      (Personally I would try a roof wrap first)
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Has it been 7 years?
      Time sure flies by when you get old!

You're not finished, the ROOF, remember?
      (Personally I would try a roof wrap first)
      It really doesn't seem that long ago, does it?

The roof actually was repainted the other day, there are a couple of pictures in the original post. They did an incredible job. They removed the windshield to paint it, so I have an unblemished windshield, too.

I replaced the A/C evaporator core and have working A/C for the first time since I've owned it. Jim, I don't know if you remember but that week in June 2010 in Pennsylvania it was well over 100 degrees. I left your house with working A/C and an hour down the road it quit. You were kind enough to send me a replacement compressor, but that didn't solve the problem. Anyhow, blows cold now!

Brandon, I'm curious what the WHP potential is for this kind of setup...

I'm saving these photos to my phone for when boredom strikes and I need a pick me up:-).
      -Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

I can also relate to your excitement of finding a donor clone to borrow parts from since I recently picked up a 105K mi 98 v70 with better fenders and doors than mine, with the exact same level of patina as mine. And both vehicles exposed to Seattle their entire lives, garaged most of it:-). I picked a fender five yrs ago from a local yard to find its nearly purple compared to the proper 601 color. That alone has been driving me up the wall since it is literally all I can see when I look at my car. A part out of the thing coming soon to swedespeed!

You are an inspiration to many of us here I'm sure.
      -Paul
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

Top of the line restoration! Way to keep at it until it's present amazing state; m58/rn swap with complete interior swap is ALOT of work! She's a beauty and the result speaks for itself...
      00 V70R Emerald, 98 v70R saffron, 98 v70r black, 04 v70xc nautic, , 06 xc90 v8 gunmetal, 83 242 Group A med blue metallic, 82 242 DL, 2006 s40 t5a, s40t5m awd RED, s40t5m awd Black, 04 s60r silver.
      Sold-98V70Rm silver, 93 245 silver, 98v70xc sandstone, 96 855r black totaled/parted, 96 855r white, 98 xc70 olive, 99 s70r, 05 s40 t5m (x2) silver, 94 854 na turquoise:

I always like to look at posts like this as though you've done all this beautiful work so that one day I'll be able to buy it and it will be set to go. LOL

Looks GREAT!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

[QUOTE=98v70t5man;5551673]Brandon, I'm curious what the WHP potential is for this kind of setup.../QUOTE]

Once it's tuned properly I'd expect in the 350-375 AWHP range.

Quote Originally Posted by b2fkb0 View Post
      Top of the line restoration! Way to keep at it until it's present amazing state; m58/rn swap with complete interior swap is ALOT of work! She's a beauty and the result speaks for itself...
      Thank you so much! It's been one thing at a time as far as the major modifications go, and the cosmetic stuff was saved for last. This car has sentimental value to me in regard to my father, and the fact that he's responsible for my Volvo love has kept me motivated during the [cough] several low points of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      I always like to look at posts like this as though you've done all this beautiful work so that one day I'll be able to buy it and it will be set to go. LOL

Looks GREAT!
      Thanks! The sad thing is it would probably be very difficult to sell a car like this- would have to be the right buyer at the right time, if I could ever bare to part with it.

Thanks! The sad thing is it would probably be very difficult to sell a car like this- would have to be the right buyer at the right time, if I could ever bare to part with it.
      Totally understand. Someday I'd like to scoop up something unique like this (I like unique!). We'll see if the timing ever works itself out for me. lol
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

That looks fantastic.....better than new! I think you should bring it to Carlisle next year .

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      That looks fantastic.....better than new! I think you should bring it to Carlisle next year .
      Thanks man!

I would love to make it to Carlisle, I have family in Vermont and have entertained the thought of loading my two boys in and driving out with my wife. It may be in play. There isn't nearly enough co-mingling between the East and West coast factions, IMO.

Thanks man!

I would love to make it to Carlisle, I have family in Vermont and have entertained the thought of loading my two boys in and driving out with my wife. It may be in play. There isn't nearly enough co-mingling between the East and West coast factions, IMO.
      Agree 100%. You might even be able to get a west coast convoy going.....I think Bob/Rsterns mentioned possibly making the trip at some point and I'd bet there are others who haven't publicly mentioned it. I would love to get a few of us east coasters together and come to the IPD show someday. That is sort of the west coast equivalent to Carlisle, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Agree 100%. You might even be able to get a west coast convoy going.....I think Bob/Rsterns mentioned possibly making the trip at some point and I'd bet there are others who haven't publicly mentioned it. I would love to get a few of us east coasters together and come to the IPD show someday. That is sort of the west coast equivalent to Carlisle, right?
      Or at least wait until the VCOA Nat'l meet is somewhere not Tulsa, Oklahoma and meet in the middle.

(And I mean no offense to Tulsa, just pointing out a more desireable location could better draw nationally.)
      Last edited by Saffron-R; 06-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Or at least wait until the VCOA Nat'l meet is somewhere not Tulsa, Oklahoma and meet in the middle.

(And I mean no offense to Tulsa, just pointing out a more desireable location could better draw nationally.)
      True. Yeah, what is up with that? Such a random location, and I don't know of anyone who goes. I can't even remember the last time we had a car from Oklahoma on the non-affiliated thread, either.

That said, I can't think of anywhere that close to the middle that anyone actually would want to go to any more than Tulsa. Denver or vicinity is the best I can think of. Maybe Chicago/Milwaukee or Minneapolis/St. Paul would also be better.

Beautiful (and formidable) car. Love the Heico Xs.
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

Thats pertty
      2016 Ford Fusion Titanium 1998 V70T5M
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me
      Future Volvo Truck Project Cumming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by washdup View Post
      Beautiful (and formidable) car. Love the Heico Xs.
      Thank you! I love the Heico's, too. They may be a bit dated, but so am I!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      Thats pertty
      Justin! Back from the dead! Haven't seen you here for a WHile!

What's this I hear about a new Volvo for you?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast