To tune a higher milage 02 S60 T5?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

To tune a higher milage 02 S60 T5?

Hi everyone,

About a year ago, I acquired a stock and somewhat neglected 02 S60 T5 with 149k miles. Through this last year, I've slowly but surely been bringing the car back up to date with all it's needed maintenance and fixing other things that needed addressing, which included a whole top end rebuild at 150k due to the previous owner putting in a no-name water pump that locked up and caused the belt to jump.

With all that being said and done, the car now has 155k miles and has yet to give me any further issues, and seems to be a pretty reliable car. My question is, would I start to see some other stuff start to go wrong/fail if I were to tune the ecu, whether it be by soft loader or sending the ecu to someone, etc etc? My main concern is the turbo. I know most of the tuning stuff involves upping the boost, some to 16 psi, some to 18, or somewhere in between. From what I've read, that is pretty close to what the factory 16T can efficiently flow. Considering the mileage , would the tune be a unwise choice if I need the car to be decently reliable?

P.S. I also have done a few little mods over the last year as well. They include
      -Straight-piped exhaust besides a straight through resonator (no cat or muffler)
      -Air box mod with cone filter
      -Boost gauge

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is it an auto?
      Current - 2006 S60 2.5t AWD (For Sale), 1996 855 Platinum (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelz1161 View Post
      Hi everyone,

About a year ago, I acquired a stock and somewhat neglected 02 S60 T5 with 149k miles. Through this last year, I've slowly but surely been bringing the car back up to date with all it's needed maintenance and fixing other things that needed addressing, which included a whole top end rebuild at 150k due to the previous owner putting in a no-name water pump that locked up and caused the belt to jump.

With all that being said and done, the car now has 155k miles and has yet to give me any further issues, and seems to be a pretty reliable car. My question is, would I start to see some other stuff start to go wrong/fail if I were to tune the ecu, whether it be by soft loader or sending the ecu to someone, etc etc? My main concern is the turbo. I know most of the tuning stuff involves upping the boost, some to 16 psi, some to 18, or somewhere in between. From what I've read, that is pretty close to what the factory 16T can efficiently flow. Considering the mileage , would the tune be a unwise choice if I need the car to be decently reliable?

P.S. I also have done a few little mods over the last year as well. They include
      -Straight-piped exhaust besides a straight through resonator (no cat or muffler)
      -Air box mod with cone filter
      -Boost gauge
      You're probably not helping yourself with a cone filter... but of course this is a topic of endless debate. Heat soak would rob you of a bit of power, the stock airbox setups on these cars are really good.

I'm not sure if Do88 has options for intercoolers for P2 cars, but a more efficient intercooler will definitely increase your power! I would start with stuff like that before a tune, you could even look at upgrading to a K24 out of the R cars or some other larger turbo option.
      1998 S70 T5 SE - 130K
      1990 760 Turbo - 543K <- NEW!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by s70t5ing View Post
      Is it an auto?
      It's the 5 speed manual.

Quote Originally Posted by slupul View Post
      You're probably not helping yourself with a cone filter... but of course this is a topic of endless debate. Heat soak would rob you of a bit of power, the stock airbox setups on these cars are really good.

I'm not sure if Do88 has options for intercoolers for P2 cars, but a more efficient intercooler will definitely increase your power! I would start with stuff like that before a tune, you could even look at upgrading to a K24 out of the R cars or some other larger turbo option.
      I'm aware that the cone isn't helping with performance. It's more so there just for induction noise and so I can hear the bypass valve. Plus, the air box mod I was speaking of is the cone filter in the factory air box with the air duct still leading to it, with 3/4 of the top of the air box still remaining, acting as a shield for the cone. I just cut a small portion of the air box lid so the cone would be able to sit inside the air box with the lid on. Again, I know it's probably doing nothing for performance, but it's more for sound.

As for turbo swaps, I don't really want to go that far into physically modding the car. I know that is probably one of the best roads to go down for performance, but I'm just not really interested in doing something like that to this car. I sorta just want the power that the car could potentially have, while being mostly mechanically stock, and the bang for your buck for a tune is kinda unbeatable, but then we start to get back to our main issue of reliability with stock parts.

Hilton Tuning Stage 2 As long as you have an upgraded downpipe stage 2 will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Plus Hilton is a great dude to work with and will answer any questions you have. Plus with the manual you have the option of no lift shift plus some other addons he offers
      Mystic Silver 2005 S60 2.5t, Eight8Fab Downpipe and Custom Cat-Back Exhaust, Hilton Stage 2 Tune. Custom 3" CAI ( R-Kelly Style)

If it has good compression and doesn't consume oil, I'd say it's safe to tune it. You might need to replace more sensors than the average guy but it'll be worth it for the extra pep.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Pure Turbos Hybrid, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements