Equalizer Settings
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Equalizer Settings

Here are my Custom settings. Post yours or any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You are on the right path; I would take the 600 two notches deeper, the 1k three to four notches deeper and the 2k two notches deeper. I would also elevate the 16k one notch.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Is this B&W? I am looking for an excuse to add B&W to my order and still not convinced.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Equalizer Settings

I used my reference mic to EQ my nonBW XC and with five bands I couldn't get it right. There are so many different listening points in the car that the mic is everywhere. As for OP, typically you will always adjust down below unity gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an audio guy by trade...the BW isn't worth the extra money IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post

It is of course very subjective but besides the sound the speaker grilles also look also very good. And it can still be a tiny listening room when the car is parked. And not expensive compared with other luxury brands. But I don't have time to collect good quality music tracks. That is all matters.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      Is this B&W? I am looking for an excuse to add B&W to my order and still not convinced.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post

It was worth it IMHO....

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      Yes
      Maybe Volvo should send every dealer a set of sound tracks to demo the B&W capability. Then I could be sold.

Well that's the first time I've seen a post not saying that the B&W is amazing. Certainly made a difference to me (I test drove without it but the real thing is pretty inexpensive compared with other systems and is very nice indeed if not ludicrously loud). Different systems can be better and worse with different types of music, but I found that with high quality FLAC files over USB of classical music it's truly excellent.

I certainly don't have any personal stake in whether anyone else gets a B&W system, and I don't really care if one or two self-proclaimed stereo experts here don't think that it is worth the extra cost-- they are perfectly entitled to their opinion.

For what it is worth, however, I suspect that anyone who appreciates music will regret it if they don't go for the B&W upgrade, because it is better than any other car stereo system I have ever heard, including custom install jobs. It won't make you cry for joy, and it won't make your eardrums bleed, but it is a terrific system, and if you are keeping the car for more than a couple of years it is well worth the cost. If you don't get it, then make a mental note never to ride in an XC90 with a B&W system installed....

As for the equalizer, mine is very close to sdedson's, except I have the subwoofer bumped up another couple of notches, even though I listen mostly to classical music in the car.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quality sound tracks are the key. If you have the desire to collect high quality music, then B&W is no brainer. If just to listen to FM or Satellite or casual Internet music, it probably does not make much difference.

Quality sound tracks are the key. If you have the desire to collect high quality music, then B&W is no brainer. If just to listen to FM or Satellite or casual Internet music, it probably does not make much difference.

I agree! The compression in Satellite is poor, so poor I no longer listen to music via Satellite... Come time for renewal I will see what a couple of a la carte talk and news channels cost as an option.

Well, in my opinion to make some permanent EQ setting does not make much sense ... First - there is usually lot of work behind every album or track with very detailed work on the final sound (also using EQs worth thousands $$ etc.), now to change everything with some rough, primitive EQ may not be the ideal thing. Second - every album or track may have slightly different sound (some more bright, other more dark etc.), using the same default setting may bring undesired results sometimes.

B&W system sounds quite neutral as such, so it is very good platform to listen to everything as it really sounds ...
      2017 XC90 D5 Inscription, Luminous Sand, Air Suspension, B&W, fully packed with all available packs

100% worth it without a doubt. Sound quality from Sirius is so poor I'm not reupping for the first time in my history of car ownership. Sound quality over bluetooth is good, but MAN if you plug your phone in it's a ton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      Well, in my opinion to make some permanent EQ setting does not make much sense ...
      Do you change your EQ settings for every piece of music you listen to?

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription, Savile Grey, B&W, Vision, Convenience, HUD, 4C Air Suspension, PA-II, Pole✦

Not taking advantage of the equalizer is also choosing an equalizer setting. But the nice thing is that you still have choices, and can quickly switch from an individualized setting to one of several preset options. It's a very flexible system.

If the B&W system really needs equalizer settings (other than flat) to sound right then I am glad I didn't spend my money on it.
      But I am not shure that it does, perhaps it is a mere question of preferences of (some?) listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      If the B&W system really needs equalizer settings (other than flat) to sound right then I am glad I didn't spend my money on it.
      But I am not shure that it does, perhaps it is a mere question of preferences of (some?) listeners.
      It doesn't really "need" you to use equalizer settings - it is an option that you can use (or not) based on your personal preference. I prefer to set my EQ similar to the pic that sdedson shared.

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription, Savile Grey, B&W, Vision, Convenience, HUD, 4C Air Suspension, PA-II, Pole✦

The ability to make sound choices (pun intended) is a good thing, and the inability to make any choices is not a virtue.

I'll bet that you fiddled with the few limited choices that you have with the base stereo-- treble/bass/loudness/balance-- at least initially. If you didn't, then you aren't at all fussy about the music you listen to, and if that is the case then you probably made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      The ability to make sound choices (pun intended) is a good thing, and the inability to make any choices is not a virtue.

I'll bet that you fiddled with the few limited choices that you have with the base stereo-- treble/bass/loudness/balance-- at least initially. If you didn't, then you aren't at all fussy about the music you listen to, and if that is the case then you probably made the right choice.
      I haven't made any changes to the default settings of the base sound system. I am fussy about
      how the music I listen to sounds, but not in a car. I don't find the environment to be suited.
      PS: my home system has no bass,treble or loudness, no need for it. It has a volume knob

Fair enough.

The "loudness" feature, which is included in most basic home and car stereos, is actually really useful. But even it is a primitive equalizer, of sorts.

[...] my home system has no bass,treble or loudness, no need for it. It has a volume knob
      Well... Does it go to 11?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

Quote Originally Posted by Trevlig View Post
      Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post

Beautiful response. =)

Reminds me of a saying in my profession: Every client has the constitutional right to **** up his own case.

B&W system sounds quite neutral as such, so it is very good platform to listen to everything as it really sounds ...
      That is exactly what I would expect from a premium audio manufacturer as B&W.
      Did B&W design the complete system, or just the speakers?
      If I am not mistaken they demonstrate their home speakers with Classé Audio electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      You are on the right path; I would take the 600 two notches deeper, the 1k three to four notches deeper and the 2k two notches deeper. I would also elevate the 16k one notch.
      What music genre would these settings suit? I play all sorts, but mainly Fusion Jazz, R&B, HipHop, Dance, Pop, Electric, Reggae and Rock and I like the combo of boom-boom sound from a good drummer, nice guitar and tweeters for contrast.
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
      Do you change your EQ settings for every piece of music you listen to?
      No, why should I I listen to the music as it is, because I don't think some car EQ can make it any "better" than it was already made
      2017 XC90 D5 Inscription, Luminous Sand, Air Suspension, B&W, fully packed with all available packs

Among other reasons, you need an equalizer to equalize the music to your environment. You can boost parts of the audio spectrum, for example, to compensate for car and road noise.
      Last edited by badcyclist; 06-19-2017 at 05:52 PM.

FWIW, I too am an "audio guy". I was in the high end audio biz as an independent rep for ~17 years. I represented companies such as Transparent Audio, MIT Cables, Yamaha, Infinity, Alpine, Phoenix Gold and many others. Back in the day I was the guy that was asked to judge "audio/sound quality" in some of the largest "Crank em up" contests in Florida. So while all opinions are valid, i'm not exactly "just any guy in a diner".

IMO the B&W system is most excellent and i couldn't be happier that I opted for it and would highly recommend it to anyone buying a Volvo that loves music. I spent 20 hours in the car last week between Thursday and Saturday night and never tired of listening.

I agree with those who say that source material matters and rarely listen to Sirius anymore. i mostly listen to CD's or USB but also sometimes listen to Slacker via CarPlay. Its hard for me to imagine anyone not being impressed IF they listen to quality source material.

As far as EQ'ing the system, it is indeed true that over time our ears age, songs are recorded differently, we have individual preferences etc. Personally, I've EQ'd the system a bit and then tweaked it a bit and will probably continue to tweak it ongoingly. All in all though it is clearly one of the better factory installed Audio systems in this "audio expert's" opinion. I say go for it!

No, why should I I listen to the music as it is, because I don't think some car EQ can make it any "better" than it was already made
      The point of the EQ is not to make the sound better but to better match the listening environment to the defined standard environment.

The audio response in the car changes if you have more people on board or with the amount of stuff in the car that absorbs audio, such as deadening covers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      As far as EQ'ing the system, it is indeed true that over time our ears age, songs are recorded differently, we have individual preferences etc.
      Aging is one big reason to fiddle with an EQ: as we age, the ear response changes in a non-linear fashion. To get a reasonably flat response as you age, you will need to boost the lower and upper frequencies. There is plenty of literature on this issue.

The only thing I really wish is if the B&W had a way to turn off the audio processing. Listening to some the early stereo recordings is "painful" sometimes as the processing tends to remove the voice tracks. In the old XC90 system (about a million light years behind), there was an option to turn the Dolby processing off which helped those kinds of recordings. Since I'm probably in a very small minority, I don't expect such function to ever show up in the B&W, but it would be nice.

FWIW, I too am an "audio guy". I was in the high end audio biz as an independent rep for ~17 years. I represented companies such as Transparent Audio, MIT Cables, Yamaha, Infinity, Alpine, Phoenix Gold and many others. Back in the day I was the guy that was asked to judge "audio/sound quality" in some of the largest "Crank em up" contests in Florida. So while all opinions are valid, i'm not exactly "just any guy in a diner".

IMO the B&W system is most excellent and i couldn't be happier that I opted for it and would highly recommend it to anyone buying a Volvo that loves music. I spent 20 hours in the car last week between Thursday and Saturday night and never tired of listening.

I agree with those who say that source material matters and rarely listen to Sirius anymore. i mostly listen to CD's or USB but also sometimes listen to Slacker via CarPlay. Its hard for me to imagine anyone not being impressed IF they listen to quality source material.

As far as EQ'ing the system, it is indeed true that over time our ears age, songs are recorded differently, we have individual preferences etc. Personally, I've EQ'd the system a bit and then tweaked it a bit and will probably continue to tweak it ongoingly. All in all though it is clearly one of the better factory installed Audio systems in this "audio expert's" opinion. I say go for it!
      What are your custom EQ settings relative to sdedson's shown above?
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      What are your custom EQ settings relative to sdedson's shown above?
      Starting from the left:

1. 75hz- +.5
        150hz-flat
        300hz-down 1.5
        600hz-down 2
        1k- down 1
        2k-flat
        4k-flat
        8k-+1.5
        16k-+2.5

Basically a little tweak at the high end and modest attenuation in the mid bass and lower mid range. I also boosted the subwoofer a bit just for effect....

Starting from the left:

1. 75hz- +.5
        150hz-flat
        300hz-down 1.5
        600hz-down 2
        1k- down 1
        2k-flat
        4k-flat
        8k-+1.5
        16k-+2.5

Basically a little tweak at the high end and modest attenuation in the mid bass and lower mid range. I also boosted the subwoofer a bit just for effect....
      Thanks. Will try them out to step into your "Audio Guy" shoes
      ------

I listen to jazz/funk music most of the time.
      After many attempts to find the best EQ settings I have always ended with the built-in "Dynamic" preset
      to be the best for me.

If you use your own settings, you should not over-EQ it. Remember there is no sound which could not be damaged by EQ. ;-)

Message for the OP, I would recommend to shift the whole EQ pattern down so that the pots are both above and below the baseline.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast