Turbo losing air
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Turbo losing air

Hi,
      I've had over the weekend an interesting experience I want to share with you: driving back on the highway for once without music, I've noticed a very subtle whistle whenever the car was applying power (I was running on ACC). With music going, this would be very difficult to ear. I've decided to hunt this down and I've discovered that from the outside, giving gas until the turbo engages, produced a sound like someone was using a high-pressure air hose below the car.

No warning lamps, only symptom, beside the nose, a slight "jerkiness" in power application.

I've brought the car in as I was fearing a problem this week (I drive about 150km every day) and they discovered a blown gasket in the turbo compressor.

I wanted to share in case, like for me, the good sound isolation and music level prevent hearing anything ...

I drive an MY16 D5 with Polestar and I'm up to around 75'000km
      current: July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with polestar tuning, past: MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Turbo losing air

Sounds like the blow-off valve. This article does a good job explaining what is going on. Not sure about the photos though.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ves-explained/

Was the sound ongoing, or only temporary? Is the sound gone with the new gasket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TheNip73; 06-19-2017 at 05:34 AM.

air was being violently let out only when applying enough gas to engage the turbo. Wasn't there a few days ago, after the new gasket I expect it to be VERY quiet, as it was before. I'll get the car back on WED so I can share more then.
      current: July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with polestar tuning, past: MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      air was being violently let out only when applying enough gas to engage the turbo. Wasn't there a few days ago, after the new gasket I expect it to be VERY quiet, as it was before. I'll get the car back on WED so I can share more then.
      Is there a loose hose or connection to the intercooler? Or to the turbo inlet that you can see? On my forced induced cars, in order to trouble shoot leaking air/ low boost pressure issues I would make a coupling that I would put between the throttle body and intercooler piping/ hose, and slightly pressurized the system and look for leaks. But that is a different trouble shooting than what you need here. Did anything get removed at the dealer during servicing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      3/2017 Savile Grey T6 Momentum+
      95 E36 M3, QX60, 2013 Pathfinder, 94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 94 Supra TT Auto

Quote Originally Posted by m95c View Post
      Is there a loose hose or connection to the intercooler? Or to the turbo inlet that you can see? On my forced induced cars, in order to trouble shoot leaking air/ low boost pressure issues I would make a coupling that I would put between the throttle body and intercooler piping/ hose, and slightly pressurized the system and look for leaks. But that is a different trouble shooting than what you need here. Did anything get removed at the dealer during servicing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      I just had my car in for a check engine light and they replaced a seal on the supercharger because it was cracked per a TJ. The car felt a little more powerful For the time being. Now I have check engine, Abs service required esc service required, city safety service, driver support system service required, and SRS service required I don't think the TJ had any relation to it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.moor View Post
      I just had my car in for a check engine light and they replaced a seal on the supercharger because it was cracked per a TJ. The car felt a little more powerful For the time being. Now I have check engine, Abs service required esc service required, city safety service, driver support system service required, and SRS service required I don't think the TJ had any relation to it though

Sounds like the harness is disconnected from the main board. Had something similar happen to my car a few years back. Service work done, a week or two later most systems on the car go out. Dealer has my car for days... loose cable is the finding.

Just a guess, but there is a harness cable you remove to get to the interior cabin filter... was that filter recently replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      Sounds like the harness is disconnected from the main board. Had something similar happen to my car a few years back. Service work done, a week or two later most systems on the car go out. Dealer has my car for days... loose cable is the finding.

Just a guess, but there is a harness cable you remove to get to the interior cabin filter... was that filter recently replaced?

I wouldn't be surprised, they just replaced rear pads a month ago. Maybe a connector became dislodged. I have been to the dealer 4 times this month for sun roof leak, check engine, transmission service required needing a tow. And then this will be the next, sensus nav showing wrong location after a battery reset still not working, and the above warning messages including the repeating CEL and SRS light .

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.moor View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised, they just replaced rear pads a month ago. Maybe a connector became dislodged. I have been to the dealer 4 times this month for sun roof leak, check engine, transmission service required needing a tow. And then this will be the next, sensus nav showing wrong location after a battery reset still not working, and the above warning messages including the repeating CEL and SRS light .

Too much tech in these cars. Great when it is working, nightmare to diagnose when something goes awry.

yesterday's verdict: the turbo pressure duct was busted as well, so they had to order a replacement from Sweden. I'll get back my car only on monday ...

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements