HELP! Steering wheel is locked
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

HELP! Steering wheel is locked

Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 s40 T5 AWD with around 13k miles on it. I recently took it to the store to rent a movie and when we got into the car to go home I couldn't start the car and the steering wheel was locked in place. A message appeared informing me "Steering wheel locked, trun wheel and try again". Several friends and I spent a couple of hours trying to get the car started to no avail. We tried trung the the wheel with varied ammounts of pressure. We even tried unplugging the battery in hopes that the cars computer would reset, but nothing worked. Now my car is still in the parking lot and the users maual says not to tow the car when the steering wheel is locked. What can I do??? I can't move it, I can't tow it and the service center is not open on Sunday. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      John

What about the Volvo Roadside Assistance? Did you call them?

1-800-638-6586
      Have your VIN handy

2004.5 S40 T5
      18" HEICO Volution X's and HEICO black matte grille
      EuroSport exhaust

Re: (davidklaw)

remove the car key from ignition

unplug battery (leave drivers door open in case the car locks itself due to battery unpluging

put key into positionII

reconnect the battery.

This should work, at least it helped me when i was all alone 500km from home.(not exactly the same problem but close enough. this way you will reset completly your car)

1998 Volvo S70 2.0 GLT - European Edition
      2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 - RHD
      2005 Volvo S40 2.0D
      2007 Volvo S60R MT

Re: (davidklaw)

"What about the Volvo Roadside Assistance? Did you call them?
      1-800-638-6586
      Have your VIN handy"

Does it cost anything to use this service? Is it an ad-on (cause I didn't add it if it is) or does it come standard?

Re: (mJrO)

"remove the car key from ignition
      unplug battery (leave drivers door open in case the car locks itself due to battery unpluging

put key into positionII

reconnect the battery."

I did unplug the battery and wait for several minutes and reconnect it, but without the key at poisitionII. I will try it your way just to make sure.

Re: (barnacle)

And thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate it. I've been a bit stressed out trying to figure out what to do. This is my first car so I don't have much experience sorting through car troubles...

Quote, originally posted by barnacle »
      And thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate it. I've been a bit stressed out trying to figure out what to do. This is my first car so I don't have much experience sorting through car troubles...

Have you tried following the instructions in the owners manual, specifically:

"Steering wheel lock
      When the key is removed from the ignition, the steering wheel locks so that it cannot be turned.
      If the front wheels are hard up against a curb, the steering wheel lock may be under too much tension to unlock.
      If so, the key will turn in the ignition switch but the car will not start.
      At the same time, a message "Steering locked" will appear in the driver information text display.
      If this happens:
      1. Remove the key from the ignition.
      2. Turn the steering wheel slightly and hold it to relieve pressure on the lock mechanism. Reinsert it the key.
      The steering should immediately unlock. If not, try again."

That might work...

UKMatt

Re: (ukmatt)

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

Have you tried following the instructions in the owners manual, specifically:

"Steering wheel lock
      When the key is removed from the ignition, the steering wheel locks so that it cannot be turned.
      If the front wheels are hard up against a curb, the steering wheel lock may be under too much tension to unlock.
      If so, the key will turn in the ignition switch but the car will not start.
      At the same time, a message "Steering locked" will appear in the driver information text display.
      If this happens:
      1. Remove the key from the ignition.
      2. Turn the steering wheel slightly and hold it to relieve pressure on the lock mechanism. Reinsert it the key.
      The steering should immediately unlock. If not, try again."

That might work...

UKMatt

Yes, I did read the manual and I tried doing that for about 2 hours last night to no avail. The wheels are not turned at all nor are they touching any curbs. I only have an inch or so of travel on the sterring wheel to play with but I tried every position I could and put the key in to "try again" but nothing. After trying again about 50 times, then disconnecting the battery and trying again several times I gave up and got a ride home.

Try rocking the car back and forth while trying to relieve the pressure on the steering wheel and trying to turn on at the same time.

Re: (christophe)

Well, I went ahead and had the volvo roadside assistance pick up the car and drop it off at the dealer. Being that the passenger side airbag got disabled a few weeks ago and I never had a chance to take it in I figure they can just sort both issues out at the same time.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
      John

I think Road Assistance comes standard for your first 30k miles or whatever the factory scheduled maintenance period is.
      2004.5 S40 T5
      18" HEICO Volution X's and HEICO black matte grille
      EuroSport exhaust

Mega-bump.

Happened to me today at a gas station.

Had to rock the car back and forth to unlock the steering wheel.

Happened to me and "a" solution was provided by my road side recovery team.
      Insert key in dash but only half way, whack the key home, small amount of force, don't get carried away!

Actual error message means one of two things:
      ignition motor on the steering column is at fault and needs replacing or -
      The ignition module itself needs replacing.

Both options are 100-110 for parts and the going rate for labour 1-1.5 hours then VAT.

Again, this worked for me and when it comes to electrics, are two problems ever the same??

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Mega-bump.

Happened to me today at a gas station.

Had to rock the car back and forth to unlock the steering wheel.
      Front/back or side/side?

Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
      Front/back or side/side?
      With the door opened, left hand on the A-pillar and right hand on the steering wheel... just like if you are pushing a car by yourself.

Handbrake off, shift to neutral, ignition key in position II.

Gently rock the car forward and backward, just enough for the wheels to move. Turn and correct the steering wheel as the car is moving.

That should relieve the pressure off the steering lock.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      With the door opened, left hand on the A-pillar and right hand on the steering wheel... just like if you are pushing a car by yourself.

Handbrake off, shift to neutral, ignition key in position II.

Gently rock the car forward and backward, just enough for the wheels to move. Turn and correct the steering wheel as the car is moving.

That should relieve the pressure off the steering lock.
      Thanks! Just saved my wife from having to get our 2008 C30 towed.
      She happened to be parked 2 blocks away from our Volvo dealer and their only suggestion was to have it towed in...

I am in the middle of dealing with this problem.

Had to get the car towed on Friday after I stopped to fill up the tank, and couldn't start it. Two codes displayed: "Key error, try again" and "Steering locked, see manual". Towed to a stealership who told me over the phone that the issue could be the ignition switch, steering column lock cylinder, or both. Apparently this is a known issue, but it's not that common. They replaced the switch, but the steering column lock still has problems. I'm able to start the car now, but it takes a few attempts. I still get the "key error" code - I was told the two parts/systems are interconnected, which makes sense. I'm having an indie shop fix the column lock next week (for $150 less than the stealership quoted) so hopefully I won't have this problem again.

I'm so pissed though. Two failures of systems that should not fail. At the same bloody time. Anyone else experience this??
      His: 2006 S40 T5 AWD 6sp - K&N Typhoon | Forge CBV | RICA Stage 1
      Hers: 1999 Saab 9-3 5sp - Bone stock and beautiful!