VW Phatbox to Volvo Transplant (How To) - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Now in and working. Don't think I would have had the confidence to pull the head unit without the help of all the great guides that are around on the net and pulling the trim appart to run the cable from through to the back of the car would have been a lot more challenging without my trusty Haynes manual. Sound quality is great and I'm really pleased with it. DAB next...

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for reporting back. Another success! Well done!

As for DAB - I have one of those boxes (must give it a go at some point). It is old history now, but I worked alongside one of the suppliers to Acoustic Solutions when that box was developed. The brand has changed significantly in the past year or two and is is now owned by Argos I believe, so those boxes will be new-old-stock. Should work though and will be fine with UK DAB transmissions.

Cheers,

Les.

din 8 pin connection modified

Dear all,
      I have a volvo v70 with a hu650 radio model. I want to install an xkcarlink to listen mp3 with sd card or usb). This device is connected to the radio with an 8pin din, but In my car there is also the satellite-navigator that is connected to the radio with the same 8 pin din, so in I connect the xcarlink I can not use the satellite or viceversa.
      So, in the back of the radio there are one 6 pin din ( that I know is for amplifier system , only output) and a 8pin din that is linked to the satellite.
      I would like to make a modification to this connection to listen mp3 and also to be connected with the satellite.
      To solve the problem I would make a connection modified with a splitted audio signal to a jack or cra and a remnant connection unmodified :
      A jack or rca linked to audio pin 6 and 7 and maintain the exact connection for the others pin with another female din 8 pin ( this letter without audio signal ) to lock with the satellite
      I think in this way that the satellite navigator can work but without audio and in the pin 6 and 7 I can listen an Ipod

Do you think is possible?

Thanks a lot

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you haven't already looked at the IMIV, I would check that out. That is the easiest way (in my opinion) to add in music sources into the factory HU. Linky is here. Hope this helps!!

-Steve
      2005 S60R - For sale
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

dear steve
      I have seen the imiv and I think it's very good.
      I contact them to buy it.

thanks a lot

anyway , do you think my connection as before can work?? is there a forum about it?

see image link

filippo

I LOVE my Volvo Digital Jukebox....AFAIK it is the only native FLAC solution.
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Thought I'd drop in to see what's going on...

My original installation has now surpassed the 100,000 mile mark and still working perfectly (my S80 is now over 105K miles).

@bancovolvo (2 posts above)... It is not sufficient to simply connect an audio source to the head unit. Even though your connection looks correct, you need to have a device on the Melbus cable that the head unit can identify as one of the supported external sources. This is what the IMIV unit does - I think it pretends to be either a CD changer, TV tuner, Satellite Radio tuner or MiniDisc player. Only then will the head unit accept an external audio signal. The Volvo Digital Jukebox pretends to be an external CD changer so that the head unit can select it and control it.

@inteller - agreed. It's a great player. Almost all of the music on my Phatbox is in FLAC format (I have a 160GB hard disk in the DMS cartridge), and the remainder is in AAC (for audio books and similar).

Question for Les (S80_UK) if he still looks in......or perhaps anyone else who knows!

I have a V70 2002 without RTI and with a HU-803 Head unit and premium sound. Bought a VW/Audi Phatbox on Ebay which came with a cable: Phatbox 26-way connector one end, and a 13-way DIN round socket on the other. I have bought an 8-pin DIN connector for the HU, and was hoping to do a simple chop-and-add the 8-pin DIN to the cable. The 26-pin connector at the Phatbox end is a moulded-on job, but I've identified the pinouts to the wires in the cable.

The issue is, there are pins connected at the Phatbox which don't correspond to Les's diagram; specifically, the MELBUS connections for DATA, BUSY and CLOCK. I've no reason to doubt the cable worked with the unit in an Audi, so is it possible the Phatbox has different pinout needs for both volvo and vw/audi within the same box?

I can buy a plug for the Phatbox end of the cable and wire-it as per Les' instructions (very helpful BTW) but if I can get away wiithout changing both ends of the cable I will.

Cheers, Andy
      Oxford

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
      Question for Les (S80_UK) if he still looks in......or perhaps anyone else who knows!

I have a V70 2002 without RTI and with a HU-803 Head unit and premium sound. Bought a VW/Audi Phatbox on Ebay which came with a cable: Phatbox 26-way connector one end, and a 13-way DIN round socket on the other. I have bought an 8-pin DIN connector for the HU, and was hoping to do a simple chop-and-add the 8-pin DIN to the cable. The 26-pin connector at the Phatbox end is a moulded-on job, but I've identified the pinouts to the wires in the cable.

The issue is, there are pins connected at the Phatbox which don't correspond to Les's diagram; specifically, the MELBUS connections for DATA, BUSY and CLOCK. I've no reason to doubt the cable worked with the unit in an Audi, so is it possible the Phatbox has different pinout needs for both volvo and vw/audi within the same box?

I can buy a plug for the Phatbox end of the cable and wire-it as per Les' instructions (very helpful BTW) but if I can get away wiithout changing both ends of the cable I will.

Cheers, Andy
      Oxford
      Hi Andy,

(Sorry for very late reply - just dropped in for a look...)

Yes - it is highly likely that the Volvo and Audi connections to the Phatbox do not share all of the same pins. The audio and power signals may be the same but the data signals can change quite a lot. The pins used are in part defined by the communication protocols of the different head units, and also partly by Phatnoise Inc who probably chose different pin connections to reduce the ease of swapping units from one vehicle make to another (perhaps at the request of the vehicle manufacturers).

This may help also... http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html

Hope this helps a little.

Les.
      Last edited by S80_UK; 02-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Dear all,

I've just put my hands on Volvo Digital JukeBox from a sweedish scrape yard. It came with the cable from Jukebox going to the power supply cable and to the one connected to the RTI in my case.

I didn't go through the fuss of making the power supply cable and the MELBUS to RTI as they wehere a vailable at my local Volvo dealer.

Here is a picture of the unit installed:

It works great but as one could expect, I do get egine whine trough the speakers.
      So I am also very keen on purchasing a plug and play filter/solator.

very glad you saved that. Now enjoy your FLAC music
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

A final note.

On 2nd April 2015 I traded in my S80 in part exchange for a new vehicle (not a Volvo, very largely due to the lack of a decent dealer within a reasonable distance from home).

The car had done 144828 miles in the nine and a half years of my ownership, and all but about 5000 of those were with the Phatbox installed. Well over 100k miles were with a Seagate 160GB hard drive in the DMS cartridge. In that time the drive platters had rotated over 1 billion revolutions, and the whole package had performed faultlessly through hot summers and freezing winters. A credit to Phatnoise and to Seagate.

The Volvo did pretty well too.

My thanks to SwedeSpeed for the forum. I have mostly been a lurker here apart from the above thread, but it has been great. Thanks.

Les.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2