Transmission Fluid Flush
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Transmission Fluid Flush

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 XC with 120,000 mi. I read most places that one should replace the fluid in your auto trans at certain intervals. However, my service maintenance schedule does not indicate this. When I asked the service manager at the Volvo dealership about it, he said that they do routinely do this unless there is some specific problem with the transmission. Have any Volvo owners here received similar advise?

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (thiggy)

Should be done every 60-75K
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Quote, originally posted by thiggy »
      When I asked the service manager at the Volvo dealership about it, he said that they do routinely do this unless there is some specific problem with the transmission. Have any Volvo owners here received similar advise?

I think this 'lifetime' fluid stuff is BS...probably cooked up by Volvo so the customer wouldn't have a seizure when he/she learns that the fluid is $16/liter.

On my '01 T5, the fluid was coal black at about 60k. I intend to have my R done about every 20k and the XC90 every 30k.

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (TomW)

Unfortunately, "lifetime" fluid has been around for a bit. I first saw it on a '88 Merkur and I agree, not a great idea. I was wondering if anyone is running RedLine ATF? I have run their products in all my manual gearboxes, both street and racing without a single failure. A prep shop I worked for even ran it in the dualie's auto. My XC90 should get a fluid change pretty soon and I was thinking of converting over.

Steve

'04 XC90 2.5T AWD, OSD, Nautic/Taupe
      '04 BMW 330i ZHP, TS2 supercharged, fast...
      '05 V70 T5, Barents/Taupe (now with family)

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (prowlerflyer)

be careful about using other types of fluid. it needs to be JWS 3309 compliant.
      one common alternative fluid for the volvos which is much cheaper than the volvo one is Toyota Type-IV (after all, the box is a japanse aisin warner- and they supply toyota/ lexus too)

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (Mistral)

Has anyone tried using the Toyota Type-IV? I'm hoping to get some 1st hand experience feed back before using it on my tranny.

You can also use Mobil-3309 ATF. Do a search here...a ton has been written about it being the same as the Volvo synthetic stuff that goes in AW auto 5 speeds. Also posted are a few places to get it at reasonable costs.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

Where I live, there is no Mobil ATF3309. Mazda has released a list of JWS 3309 approved ATF fluid that they recommend on their Mazda 6 Aisin Warner Transmission. Toyota Type-IV is readily available here and has anyone tried it?
      http://www.finishlineperforman...3.pdf

Re: (Beau)

Probably the same stuff. Mobil makes and labels it for several brands INCLUDING Volvo

Re: (JRL)

on the back of the mobil atf 3309 bottle sitting in front of me right now i can say that the toyota t-IV would seem to be ok. mobil lists 10 cars and gives part numbers. i posted a picture of the back on s40concepts.net about a year ago, maybe 6-8 months.

mobil atf 3309 is widely avaiable here in the sf bay area, and from many mobil distributors. check around.

listed are

audi tt,a3
      ford 500, montego
      lexus most models jws 3309/ type IV
      mitsubishi fe 2005 and newer
      porsche cayenne s, cayenne turbo

saab 9.3,9.5 saab 3309
      saturn bue, ion gm9986195
      toyota most models jws 3339/type IV
      volkswagon toureg, beetle cabriolet

volvo s60,s70,c70,s80,s40,v40 volvo 1161540, and my volvo dealer says all 5 speeds

i have not asked about the 6 speed, but they probably do not need it yet and mobil will relable probably each year

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (prowlerflyer)

Ask iPd. They sell and recommended the Redline D4 ATF fluid for our cars. I have been using for the last 2 months without a single problem. I check the fluid weekly and have had no issues.
      2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 183,000+ miles and going strong.

your car is out of any warranty i know of so use what you want.

volvo told me only use the volvo or the jws3309 to maintain my warranty.

contact asin warner for conclusive information that should not be argued with.

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (hastee)

Quote, originally posted by hastee »

contact asin warner for conclusive information that should not be argued with.

and they say to USE THE MOBIL, I would in this case

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush (EBender1965)

Quote, originally posted by EBender1965 »
      Ask iPd. They sell and recommended the Redline D4 ATF fluid for our cars. I have been using for the last 2 months without a single problem. I check the fluid weekly and have had no issues.

From what everyone is saying, I wouldn't use it in a 5-spd.

Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
      be careful about using other types of fluid. it needs to be JWS 3309 compliant.
      one common alternative fluid for the volvos which is much cheaper than the volvo one is Toyota Type-IV (after all, the box is a japanse aisin warner- and they supply toyota/ lexus too)
      Pennzoil Synthetic multi vehicle atf is JWS 3309 compliant. $6.99 per qt at napa

I don't think so but you buy Mobil 3309 and Toyota fluid for the same money

We have done flushes with success, and zero transmission failures for customers who do the service. We do 150+ of these per year since the 1990s and not a single customer has had their transmission fail. Volvo's claim of a maintenance free transmissions is garbage, the oil does break down. These are Japanese Aisin Warner transmissions. The specification is Japanese World Standard (JWS) # 3309. Any oil that is approved to this specification will properly lubricate the internal transmission parts. We recommend the first flush at 50,000 miles on the car, followed by checks at every 10,000 miles. If the fluid looks dirty, it needs to be flushed again. Transmission usage depends upon driving style and use. If you live in a hilly area, or do towing, the transmission works more, and therefore the oil needs to be changed more frequently. The oil we use is BG 312, but like I said many oils will work. The BG 312 is fully synthetic, like most, but not all JWS 3309 trans oils. In the BG service the transmissions internal oil pump is used and 16 1/2 quarts of oil are pushed through, till the fluid appears completely red. Please note this is in excess of the transmission's oil capacity (which is about 9 quarts). In the BG service a detergent is used that helps dislodge buildup, and a friction modifier/conditioner is added that mimics the original. Volvo does not want people removing the oil, and adding ONLY oil back in. This is why they advise against servicing the oil, or why some people report new problems after drain & fills or flushes. The friction modifier is a critical aspect to the service. The parts manager at Dyer & Dyer Volvo of Atlanta told me once they replace 200+ Aisin Warner transmission per year. Another parts manager says that the oil is stated to be lifetime fill because Volvo considers the life of a car to be 8-10 years.

The internal screen ("filter") gets cleared out/cleaned during the flush, no reason to change it. The problem with only draining is the way these transmissions sit all the fluid will never drip out, some old oil will stay in, and eventually ruin internal parts. These Aisin Warner transmissions are well built, and this has been a proven method to ensure their longevity.