DRIVER'S LOG
  1. Oct 23, 2017: Order date
  2. Nov 2017: Build date
  1. Jan 27, 2018: Delivery date
  2. Feb 15: Interior Pictures
  3. Feb 17: Accessory: Emergency Triangle
  4. Feb 17: Modification: Sunglasses Holder
  5. Feb 24: First Snow Storm (pictures)
  6. Feb 28: Journey Continues Glitch #1: Radio Turns On As Soon As Door Is Opened
  7. Mar 1: How Much Energy / Cost to Recharge T8: One Month Stats
  8. Mar 7: Odometer=1157 km Journey Continues Glitch #2 - Parking Climate Limited
  9. Mar 10: Rear Dash Cam installed
  10. Mar 21: A119S Dash cam and V1 Radar Detector Installed (Hardwired)
  11. Mar 24: Sun Visor Air Bag Warning Stickers Covered
  12. Apr 29: Odometer=2840 km Interior Programmable USB LED Lights Installed
  13. May 5: Rear Dash Cam Reinstalled and Rewired
  14. May 20: Rear Dashcam Re-wired once again! - Hard wired this time!
  15. May 26: Vinyl Doorsill Protection added
  16. Jun 23: Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything (42)
  17. Jul 2: Two pictures at a charging station during sunset
  18. Jul 20: Odometer=6045 km Battery Compartment Cover warranty replacement.
  19. Jul 27: Road Trip Report with Thule Evolution 1800 Cargo Box
  20. Aug 3: Odometer=6952 km Blue reflective tape applied to interior door edges
  21. Aug 10: Odometer=7133 km Aftermarket Stainless Steel Bumper Sill Protector installed
  22. Sep 9: Odometer=8342 km Aftermarket door courtesy/puddle lights installed
  23. Nov 19: ChargePoint Home Level 2 240v/32A plug-in charger installed.
  24. Dec 28: Odometer=12594 km First maintenance service: Oil change, top-up fluids, full safety check, Sensus software update, no issues--Total cost=$150 CAD. There have been no problems at all in the first year of ownership.
  25. Dec 31: 2018 Total Average Fuel Consumption: 4.26L/100km (55 mpg). Distance travelled=12712 km, Fuel used=541 L.

Original Post:
Actually, the journey began 3 months ago, when we put down a non-refundable deposit and custom ordered an XC90 T8 R-Design in Bursting Blue. After countless hours of lurking on the forums and anxious waiting in anticipation, I got the call from our salesperson last week and picked up our new ride yesterday. The journey is now official :cool:.

First, here is the build configuration:
2018 XC90 R-Design T8 eAWD
  • Bursting Blue
  • Carbon Fiber Inlays
  • Vision Package
  • Convenience Package
  • Leather Package
  • Climate Package
  • Graphical Heads-Up Display (HUD)
  • 4-Corner Air Suspension w/Four-C Active Chassis
  • Protection Package Accessory

Pictures from Delivery Day....

Ooh, I wonder what's under the cover?!!

Ta Daa!

Red, White, and Blue!

New home!

2 Week Update: I finally got around to installing the crossbars that I ordered with the XC90. I was missing a Thule Core Key to change the locks from my old crossbars to the new ones but I visited Rack Attack and they gave me the key for free :cool:.

See less See more
#29 ·
+1

#3 ·
Glad to see you have 4C air Suspension! One of the best features IMO. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Excellent...looks exactly like mine. Congrats!

#8 ·
Congrats! Did the dealer do the wrapping & bow all by themselves? (Gosh the people in Canada are just so nice! ;))

That last picture truly is 'bursting' with color :thumbup:

#15 ·
Congrats! Did the dealer do the wrapping & bow all by themselves? (Gosh the people in Canada are just so nice! ;))
My dealer didn't do the wrapping or bow 😒😭😭 Even though I asked, they said they didn't have a large bow 🤦

#9 ·
Congratulations. Beautiful. The T8 is pleasing to drive in so many ways. Enjoy in good health.

#12 ·
You will enjoy the air suspension along with the rest of your new Volvo. Good luck with it.

#14 ·
Except for the red vs blue mine will be same. Likely same dealer even, lol. Love to hear your opinion on service from them. Warranty and otherwise. I've never had a volvo before and never from any JP dealer either for that matter. So far my sales guy has been very patient and knowledgeable.

Congrats I'm jealous ;)

#19 ·
So what are in these packages, we do not get those option/packages in the US

Vision Package
Leather Package (full leather seats?)
Climate Package (heated seats?)
Here's what's included in each one:

Vision Package
  • 360° Surround View Camera
  • Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert
  • Automatically Dimmed Inner & Exterior Mirrors
  • Retractable Rear-view Mirrors

Leather Package
  • Charcoal Leather R-Design Seats w/ Charcoal Interior
  • Rear Side Door Sun Curtains
  • Tailored Dashboard & Upper Door Panels

Climate Package
  • Heated Wiper Blades
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Heated Rear Seats

#20 ·
Gorgeous vehicle - Congrats! I like the packages you can get in Canada. Now if they can just pull out the massaging seats to a standalone option....

#21 ·
I love the color on that Bursting Blue! Congratulations!

#22 ·
UPDATE: 356 km

Well, I encountered my first VOC hiccup last night. After I returned home and plugged the T8 to charge the VOC app said that the "car was in use." Now, I've noticed several times now after I plug in to charge, the T8 seems to wake up and I can hear a large fan in the engine bay turn on--as if it was preconditioning again even though I've just returned home and shut the car off. I don't really know why it does that. Temperatures have been above freezing.

This "Car In Use" message occurred once before earlier this week, but went away after a short time. So this time, I checked to make sure I had everything shut off, (the fan had turned off by that time), unlocked, relocked everything, saw that it was charging, but the app still said the car was in use. I was able to use the app to lock and unlock, as well as flash the lights, all while the car was "in use." It wasn't until for quite a long time later that the "car in use" message in the app disappeared.

I woke up this morning, checked the app and it showed that the car was not in use and that the battery was fully charged. I was even able to use the app to start and stop preconditioning. The glitch is that it didn't register my drive home last night and the app reports that my car is still parked 3 miles away at my last location!!!

I've restarted the app as well as restarted my iPhone. The driving journal doesn't show any data from the last trip. I'm going to pull the car out onto the driveway and see if that will fix things.

#24 ·
I'm not sure what carrier is used in your area for VOC, but whatever it is, find out how good coverage is. This could absolutely impact your experience. I get a similar problem when I park underground far enough that there's no signal.

Also, the sound of a fan while charging is normal. Charging is not a 100% efficient process and excess heat needs to be dissipated.

#25 ·
Nice! I hope you're enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying mine :D. I love everything about it and it's been performing perfectly. I'm teaching myself the voice commands for climate control to reduce fingerprints--LOL.

This glitch with the VOC location is with the app and parking outside all day didn't fix it. I'm heading out later for a drive so I'll see if that makes a difference. VOC is working because I can still perform all functions using the app including flashing lights and honking the horn.

#27 · (Edited)
Going out for a drive fixed the location issue, but I lost the Driving Journal entry from last night because I toggled the journal on and off earlier. I was still having problems when I got home with the "Car in Use" messages but it didn't last as long. I guess I just have to be patient and not be so anxious to check my stats. I'm excited about my stats because it really looks like the T8 is fitting us well.

After two weeks of ownership, the average fuel consumption as reported by Sensus is 3.5 L/100km or 67 mph.

After one week of using the Volvo On Call, the fuel consumption reported in the app is 2.2 L/100km or 106 mph.

The main reason for the discrepancy between the weeks is because when I picked up the car from the dealership, they did not have the battery charged up so I drove home in Hybrid mode and the gas engine turned on quite a bit--to be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing, either, ha, ha. It took almost a week for the dealership to setup VOC and cnce I figured things out with the T8, I've been charging every night and doing most of my driving in Pure mode. I haven't had a chance to calculate fuel consumption with actual distance driven in a different app because I have yet to buy any fuel since getting the T8.

I'm very pleased, to say the least, because I'm coming from a Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2L V8 engine that I nicknamed "The Beast" that gulped 24 L/100km (9.8 mpg).

#28 · (Edited)
After one week of using the Volvo On Call, the fuel consumption reported in the app is 2.2 L/100km or 106 mph.

The main reason for the discrepancy between the weeks is because when I picked up the car from the dealership, they did not have the battery charged up so I drove home in Hybrid mode and the gas engine turned on quite a bit--to be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing, either, ha, ha. It took almost a week for the dealership to setup VOC and cnce I figured things out with the T8, I've been charging every night and doing most of my driving in Pure mode. I haven't had a chance to calculate fuel consumption with actual distance driven in a different app because I have yet to buy any fuel since getting the T8.

I'm very pleased, to say the least, because I'm coming from a Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2L V8 engine that I nicknamed "The Beast" that gulped 24 L/100km (9.8 mpg).
I am glad that you figure it out right away.. The driving log does not track the data once it is turned off so great youmlearned that one right away.

Also,I know what you mean about not buying fuel. After 25 days, I forced myself to stop at a fuel station. I couldn't take another week without knowing my (lack of) fuel consumption. BTW, I do use power mode when I want, but Pure back and forth to work and errands is sweet, too. Can hardly wait for Spring temps.

#31 ·
No need to break it in (or baby it even though I mostly do). Mine seemed to be well-seated within a 1000 miles where fuel economy steadily increased. Don’t wait too long to use the power mode ‘lest you might forget you have it. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#32 ·
Completed my first longer day trip into the city today. I'm pretty happy with the results:

Duration: 1:57 hr
Distance: 76.5 km (47.5 mi)
Fuel Consumption: 5.4L/100km (42.8 mpg)
Electric Consumption: 11.9 kWh
Electric Regeneration: 4.2 kWh
Six passengers and cargo into town. Seven passengers and cargo coming back.

1. I left the house with a full charge in Pure Mode.
  2. Put it in Performance and Battery Charge to merge onto the highway.
  3. Switched it to Hybrid and Battery Charge while cruising.
  4. Switched back to Pure mode (Charge Off) after leaving the highway.

Charged until battery was full...

...and then repeated the driving mode pattern on the way home. I noticed that while cruising on the highway the battery didn't seem to charge as quickly as the first time I tried it. Also, Performance Mode is everything that I was hoping it would be: Instant response and acceleration like a rocket :D.

#33 ·
I'm surprised that with your kind of usage (Power on entering freeway + charging AND Hybrid + charge when cruising AND Pure + Charging on last stretch) ×2 legs with full load and luggage you still returned such good consumption.

I find it hard to believe it actually.

Is your average consumption based on what the car indicates in the App Screen section display or what you discovered upon refueling?

Also, after such a short distance drive, where's the fuel gauge needle pointing now? That will be a better measure.

Since your trip was less than 100KM, at that average consumption, your gauge needle should be pointing just above the quartile of the full tank mark. That quartile represents about 12.5L of fuel used.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Congrats on the new XC90! Enjoy it!

#39 ·
Interior pictures

Very nice car. Did I miss interior photos?
Oh, oh, now you've done it. All I needed was a little encouragement :D.

I took some interior shots of some of the details in the interior that I really enjoy.

One of the options I really had to have was the Carbon Fiber Inlay. Here are some shots:

Another option that was a "Must Have" for me was the leather seats. I know a lot of people like the Nubuck (I had something similar in my STI), but I really like full leather. Plus, in Canada the Leather Package also came with another "Must Have," the side door sun curtains. The bonus was the tailored dashboard and upper door panels:

Something else that was a "Must Have" was the R-Design trim. There were things that I loved about it that made me willing to give up other things like the wood trim, and cooled and massage seats.

The paddle shifter looks cool:

So does the R-Design Logo on the steering wheel and the R-Design pedals:

I took this picture of the light stalk because when I was first trying to figure out how to turn on the rear fog lights, I couldn't see the button in the dark. I could only see the front fog light button, which of course don't work on the T8.

Another shot of the carbon fiber inlay:

Finally, one of the things I've decided to do to maximize my enjoyment of the vehicle is to dig out the following accessory from the bottom of a drawer an use it in the T8:

I thought the driving gloves would reduce the finger prints on the Sensus screen (it does slightly, but to my surprise not completely) and it also allows all the computers systems to boot up while I put them on. Most of all, it's fun driving with them on in a Walter Mitty kind of way :D.

#38 ·
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I really am enjoying the XC90. The day before yesterday was my first chance to try it out in the snow and it performed admirably, feeling very sure-footed in the heavy slush that fell in the evening. Sorry for the wonky colours in the picture below, the lighting was poor after closing time:

I didn't have much time to charge, only 1 hour, and it started to get cold so I turned on preconditioning for about 30 min to get very nice and comfortable. Unfortunately, I think I used up all the charge that I gained while I was parked there---ha, ha!

The next morning, I decided to see how far I could make it up a steep side-street that had not been plowed using Pure Mode and just rear-wheel drive. I almost got to the top before it started to get squirrelly. I switched it to AWD right away and it instantaneously stabilized and became boring again ;).

#41 ·
Wow, nice option with the full leather seating for RD. I must have missed it when making my selection because I wanted RD but gave it up for an Inscription because the US configuration seemed to force partial nubuck seating if you pick RD. And no cooled ventilated seats up front for RD. Your black leather plus carbon fiber interior looks very sophisticated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.