Buzzing noise under hood
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Buzzing noise under hood

Hey guys. After driving my car this morning, I heard a buzzing noise, apparently coming from under the hood, on the driver's side of the car. It stopped after a minute or so, and then happened again. I looked under the hood, and it appears to be coming from the pump in front of the battery (or in that area). I'm not sure if it was because of the cold weather, or something else. Does anyone know what this is, if it's normal, and if it's something I need to do anything about? Thanks in advance.

Re: Buzzing noise under hood (AS40)

Quote, originally posted by AS40 »
      Hey guys. After driving my car this morning, I heard a buzzing noise, apparently coming from under the hood, on the driver's side of the car. It stopped after a minute or so, and then happened again. I looked under the hood, and it appears to be coming from the pump in front of the battery (or in that area). I'm not sure if it was because of the cold weather, or something else. Does anyone know what this is, if it's normal, and if it's something I need to do anything about? Thanks in advance.

Buzzing noise from under the hood of the 2.4?

Must be the engine.....

Sorry couldn't resist.

I've got the same noise. I don't believe it's an issue but it surely is annoying.
      2004.5 S40 T5
      18" HEICO Volution X's and HEICO black matte grille
      EuroSport exhaust

Re: (davidklaw)

Might you guys be talking about the electrohydraulic power steering pump winding down?

Re: (RANGO)

That sounds about right. I looked under the hood, and there's a pump right in front of the battery, that seemed like it was making the noise.

Re: Buzzing noise under hood (AS40)

That's the fuel system evaporative purge pump. It pulls recaptured fuel (vapors, overfills, etc) out of a reservoir and puts it back into circulation.

This usually happens when driving, but can happen at other times. Completely normal.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough