SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Squeaking clutch pedal?

26K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  VictorVDC 
#1 ·
I saw this mentioned before but have not noticed if anybody actually had this fixed.

I have had this squeaky clutch pedal issue almost from the beginning with this car. Especially when weather is warm and humidity low, the clutch pedal makes noise almost like an old barn door (OK, exaggerating just a bit). A really minor issue but annoying. BTW, the only other issue I have had is the flimsy rear wiper arm that my dealer refused to warranty, a really minor thing too so I'm very happy with the quality and reliability so far.

I have already tried to get this fixed twice at my dealer and they tried to lubricate some parts but the fix did not last long. Now when the weather is getting warmer here, the problem is getting worse again. So, I'd like to know if anybody has got this fixed and how?

#2 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (FinnSpeed)

I have the same problem with mine!!! I decided not to do anything untill the first maintenance - probably sometime in august this year. I assumed, that since car is new, such things might happen - plastic???

Two days ago, I switched winter tyres into summer ones. My Volvo dealer asked me if anything is wrong with my car. I said no, but perhaps I should tell them?

On the other hand, I need the car and if I tell them to work on it, they might accidentally brake something - you know, if they really try to satisfy me, they might just try to perform to well
))

Are you planning to do something about it anymore?

#3 ·

I had the same issue an an old land rover I used to drive...yes, a land rover with a clutch. Never really was able to fix it...some days it was fine and some days it was loud. My best fix was to turn the volume up on the stereo...Hopefully you can find a little better solution!!

#6 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (denzo)

WD40 did the trick on mine. There is a spring & cylinder type assembly at the pivot point way under the dash. I had to remove the lower dash trim to get a good shot at it, but I haven't heard a peep since.

Much like the other squeaks & rattles on this car- I had to fix it my damn self

#8 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (tomi22)

took my car to the dealer a few weaks ago to solve that issue.

If it's done accordingly with the TNN it takes something like 4 hours to fix. Forget the wd40 (that's a temp fix)

#10 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (mJrO)

So is there actually an official TNN about this? I bet the dealer did not do that if it takes 4 hours...

I think I will try to take a peek under the dash to try to find the troublespot. Thanks Oldman, if I can reach the place without removing too many parts, I will try to add a piece of tube to a silicon spray bottle, to direct the stuff to the spot.

It seems that it is almost time to switch dealer...

#11 ·

In Europe there's a TNN about this. I saw it, but not all of the techs knew about it.

They had to disassemble my airbox, battery, AA-bar.... clutch pedal..... some spots where "tricky".

I'm talking about a diesel car, but should be the same for the T5

#12 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (mJrO)

I have the same problem...

At least I am not the only one.

My wife thought I was going insane when I explained it to her.

Due for a 7500 service this month, so I will ask them to fix it then. Along with a number of other issues:
Seats creak and move
noises in the A pillar
rough idle
1900 rpm shakes from the engine, etc, etc

#13 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (Spitfire)

This is along the same lines, mine doesnt squeak it clicks. About an inch or so into the pedal travel from the top and then again about an inch from the top on the way up. Its pretty annoying because not only can you hear it but you can feel it. Happens in the warm and cold.

#16 ·

I asked this from my dealer and they said that it won't cause any harm or damage but admitted that it is annoying. So apparently they knew about the problem but at least they could not fix it.

It clearly is a result of two plastic parts rubbing each other. I don't know yet if the spot can be reached without ripping the car apart but I will try some silicone oil and if that does not bring long lasting results, I will test molybdenesulfide grease. The latter is dark grey stuff that has been working very well in VCR mechanisms (plastic and cast aluminum parts).

#18 ·

Ok, so I went to my dealer today, to have this clutch issue checked. They putted some glyde on it. Now is finally quiet. They said, that it will take up to 3 days for the glyde to penetrate the material. Also, they said that if it wont help or get worse, than they will have to take car for the whole day, and replace some parts (I assume replace clutch pedal).

Will update you soon

#19 ·

I'm waiting for your update.

My clutch behaves quite well when the car has been sitting inside a relatively cool garage (around +10'C) but if it has been outside in the sun all day, it really gets irritating on the way home. Almost makes the car harder to drive because the pedal does not move smoothly.

How long did it take them to apply that stuff? Did they remove anything, battery etc?

#20 ·

My car also stays indoor's with temperature around 10'C
The noise was heard the moment it got warmer inside
So I see same kind of problem.

It took them about 10-15 minutes, so dont worry about the time
Cost was ZERO, null, nothing
They seemed to know about it, as the guy that I was showing this to was not surprised, he understood it the minute he heard the first noise

I dont know if they had to take anything off... but under there, the area is well build up, possibly they unscrew it a little to get better access, but if they know where the problem is, perhaps they can get access to it thru a little hole, that there is.

Today is second day. No noise, its all so quiet

BTW - they told me, that it is not a Volvo problem, but he supplier that delivers the part - clutch pedal - to the factory. And the funny thing is, that on some cars the noise happens, and on some not. Depends on the part delivery
Anyway, they said that if glyde wont help, they will replace the pedal, under warranty of course

My advice is thay you go to your dealer, show them the problem, and ask them to put some glyde on it. If it wont help, ask them about warranty service.

#21 ·

Does anyone have a definitive answer from their dealer on this issue? Or does anyone have a copy of the previously mentioned TSB? I have now had my car back to the dealer 4 times for a squeaking clutch pedal and I have lubed it myself at least that many times. It sounds like I'm stomping on a goose every time I use the clutch and it only happens when it gets hot inside the car. It's so bad that I've taken to shifting without the clutch as often as possible. The dealer keeps putting grease on it but that clearly isn't going to fix the problem. I need to show them something that says that Volvo is aware of the problem and that there is a real fix for it besides slathering it with grease every 3 days.

#22 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (osNomad)

TEll them to use SILICONE lubricate
This solved problem in mine. They told me, that if it happens again, then they will have to replace the pedal - I hope not.

When I told them about it, they were not surprised, and they knew right away what to do
They said, that on some cars it happens and on some its not.

And now, from your post:\

"It's so bad that I've taken to shifting without the clutch as often as possible."

R U MAD???!!!

#23 ·

You can shift without the clutch. There's a certain point which the engine and trans speeds are identical and you don't need the clutch. It'll slip right out of gear into neutral. I did this while upshifting once on an old Accord.

#24 ·

Quote, originally posted by tomi22 »
TEll them to use SILICONE lubricate
This solved problem in mine. They told me, that if it happens again, then they will have to replace the pedal - I hope not.

Silicone dries up in a matter of hours in the heat. That was the first thing I tried, it was also the most short-lived. The lube that lasted longest was high-temp bearing grease but even that only lasted a matter of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.