SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Squeaking clutch pedal?

26K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  VictorVDC 
#1 ·
I saw this mentioned before but have not noticed if anybody actually had this fixed.

I have had this squeaky clutch pedal issue almost from the beginning with this car. Especially when weather is warm and humidity low, the clutch pedal makes noise almost like an old barn door (OK, exaggerating just a bit). A really minor issue but annoying. BTW, the only other issue I have had is the flimsy rear wiper arm that my dealer refused to warranty, a really minor thing too so I'm very happy with the quality and reliability so far.

I have already tried to get this fixed twice at my dealer and they tried to lubricate some parts but the fix did not last long. Now when the weather is getting warmer here, the problem is getting worse again. So, I'd like to know if anybody has got this fixed and how?

#29 ·
The saga continues...

I just dropped my car in for 22.5k maintenance. After the last maintenance the squeek reappeared after about six weeks. For a while I thought it was fixed then since the earlier attempts only helped for a week or two. I did not bother going in earlier since during the winter the problem was not so bad.

OK, this time it looks a bit more promising because the service advisor called me and told that the had to order a clutch pedal fix kit and it is going to be ready Monday. It bugs me a bit that they did not preorder the kit since I told them about the problem when I set up the appointment and they have the full service history so they know exactly what has been going on.

Anyways, I will let you know how it goes this time.

#30 ·
Re: The saga continues... (FinnSpeed)

i had that same problem and pointed it out when i took my car in for its 15000 mile check up, the dealer told me it was a defective spring in the clutch pedal and they had to special order the part for me, of course free of charge since its still under warranty, so anyways the part came in a week later and i have had no problems since it was fixed almost 4 months ago, ill check the invoice for a part number if you guys want so you all know what to ask for if its the same thing

#31 ·
Re: The saga continues... (doublertist)

Yes, they replaced the clutch pedal spring. The description lists "revised clutch pedal spring". I hope this is the long lasting fix finally. Certainly it feels pretty good at the moment but we'll see...

#32 ·

Quote, originally posted by FinnSpeed »
Yes, they replaced the clutch pedal spring. The description lists "revised clutch pedal spring". I hope this is the long lasting fix finally. Certainly it feels pretty good at the moment but we'll see...

Could you possibly provide for us the operation number, or whatever 'official' number that Volvo used to warranty/fix the problem. Thanks! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#33 ·
Re: The saga continues... (2006S40T5)

No problem.

Updated clutch pedal spring installed.
Part Number: SPO 31200942
Description: Spring kit

#35 ·

No problem.

mine is doing it as well. it happened before and I took it in and they didn't have enough time - they said they'd have to have it all day as well (fine w/ me). they worked on it a little (probably just WD-40 'cause it was pretty rank when I picked it up) and it stopped for like 8-10 weeks, and now it's back. the car was in for some other work all last week and my receipt said they "couldn't replicate the noise".
that plus the grease that was on my TAN t-tec really had me peeved.

I already printed off page two of this thread w/ the Part #'s and such on it, is this all I should take in to them? if there a TNN # for this as well?

before I felt like my service was great. this last time it's been awful. so here's hoping it gets better.

#36 ·

No problem.

Beware: the above is incomplete info. Have your dealer look at Volvo's Tech-Net-Note:

NO: 40-05
DATE: 1-2-2007
MODEL: All New S40 / All New C70 / V50
YEAR: 2004.5 -
SUBJECT: Noise / Vibration / Harshness Improvements (NVH)

This six-page bulletin deals with four separate NVH issues - one of which is:

"1. Squeaking Noise from Clutch Pedal:

To address a customer complaint of squeaking noise when depressing/releasing the clutch pedal, replace the over-center spring. The new spring was introduced in production at chassis number: S40 272053-, V50 286837-, C70 012036-."

Chassis numbers are the last six digits of your VIN number.

John Sharisky

Modified by Parts @ Boston Volvo at 9:47 AM 4-23-2007

#40 ·
Re: The saga continues... (mister_g60)

Quote, originally posted by mister_g60 »
wanted to say thanks to John again for the TNN info. I faxed this page over to my dealer and circled your post w/ all the info and they've ordered the part and will call me to schedule an appointment when it comes in.

That's cool! I'm glad that I could help.

John

#41 ·
Re: The saga continues... (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

John - Could you please list the other issues in this bulletin. I could not find it in the online Volvo bookstore or in Alldata.

Quote, originally posted by Parts @ Boston Volvo »

Beware: the above is incomplete info. Have your dealer look at Volvo's Tech-Net-Note:

NO: 40-05
DATE: 1-2-2007
MODEL: All New S40 / All New C70 / V50
YEAR: 2004.5 -
SUBJECT: Noise / Vibration / Harshness Improvements (NVH)

This six-page bulletin deals with four separate NVH issues - one of which is:

"1. Squeaking Noise from Clutch Pedal:

To address a customer complaint of squeaking noise when depressing/releasing the clutch pedal, replace the over-center spring. The new spring was introduced in production at chassis number: S40 272053-, V50 286837-, C70 012036-."

Chassis numbers are the last six digits of your VIN number.

John Sharisky

Modified by Parts @ Boston Volvo at 9:47 AM 4-23-2007

#43 ·
Re: Squeaking clutch pedal? (FinnSpeed)

Tle clutch pedal on my Volvo S40 1.6 diesel (2005) started squeaking at around 30k. Lubrication (twice) only solved the problem for 4-6 weeks. They finally installed the new spring mechanism under warranty recently. The squeaking returned 2 mths later on a hot day. Temperature definitely aggravates the squeaking, it was hardly noticeable in winter. However, the noise has definitely increased, especiallay just when I'm driving away. It is less noticeable in the higher gears.
The delaer wasn't at all surprised with the squeaking noise, I assume they hear this complaint from other drivers also.
Volvo has to come up with a better solution. The revised spring does not seem to be working.
Maybe I'll try silicone or WD40.

Modified by Volvo_goat at 11:50 AM 5-20-2007

Modified by Volvo_goat at 11:50 AM 5-20-2007

#44 ·
Re: The saga continues... (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Is there any more text or any more photos related to issue #3 (Clunking Noise) in that tech bulletin? I have been taking my car back to the dealer for 3 years now trying to get them to cop to this problem. i KNOW it's not normal but they insist it is. i would like to show them this and force them to do the repair.

#45 ·
For someone who works at the stealership:

Is it normal practice to only lubricate the pedal on the first complaint? I waited for my 15k service to get the issue looked at, told them that I'd read on here about the tech-net note, and that according to my VIN, I qualified for the new spring.

When I picked up my vehicle all they'd done is lubricated it. I didnt want to complain right away because I wasnt sure if it was standard practice, and the guy was being cheap with my VCOA discount anyhow. Meh.

#46 ·
Re: (S40 Driver)

Quote, originally posted by S40 Driver »
For someone who works at the stealership:

Is it normal practice to only lubricate the pedal on the first complaint? I waited for my 15k service to get the issue looked at, told them that I'd read on here about the tech-net note, and that according to my VIN, I qualified for the new spring.

When I picked up my vehicle all they'd done is lubricated it. I didnt want to complain right away because I wasnt sure if it was standard practice, and the guy was being cheap with my VCOA discount anyhow. Meh.

this sounds eerily like my experience here in Cville. (also, sorry I haven't kept you guys up to date about this, here goes.)

- first time I complained about my clutch squeaking, I didn't tell them until I got there (it was in for something else, oil change maybe?); when I picked it up they said they lubed it up but that they'd need to get in deeper to fix it and they didn't have time that day so reschedule. no problem, I told them about it last-minute; this actually cured it for about six weeks, and then it came back again so I rescheduled so they had plenty of time to work with it and get it sorted out

- second time it was in they couldn't replicate the noise; oh it was there, so I was annoyed; granted, it wasn't that loud at the time

- third time it was in I had faxed them the TNN (see up in this thread) and they'd gotten it, said they were a little embarrassed they didn't know, ordered the part and scheduled me; I get there to pick the car up and they said the noise was coming from the SEAT BOLSTER (?!!?!?), so they took that apart, cleaned it up and put it back together - gee thanks; never installed the new spring that's in the TNN; took the car home, noise is of course still there, got all pissed off by the time I got home, turned around and went back and complained to the service mgr; he told me to bring it in again and a tech would ride w/ me so that I could specifically show them what I was talking about - fine

- fourth time I took it in was just last week; it was like 90 deg and when it's that hot this sucker really squeaks; so I drove all the way there with no a/c and hardly using the windows because I wanted to ensure that they heard it loud and clear; the service manager (who's a nice guy) came out and we didn't even need to go for a drive, which I assumed we wouldn't; he said "ok", had a tech listen to it too, and now I have a new master cylinder on order; I really, really hope they replace that spring from the TNN while they're in there too, but I don't think they have any plans to at this point, but if they're replacing the whole dang master cyling they may as well replace the spring too, I just don't get why they seem so dang reluctant to do so, drive me nuts

I'll try to do a better job of keeping you guys up to speed on this. sorry once again.

oh yeah, and our car currently has about 10,500 miles on it. when I first when in, back in ... I think January ... the car only had about 6,000 miles on it.

#47 ·
Thanks for sharing your story.

I was talking to my grandfather about this after I picked the car up, and how I figured they'd just lube it instead of replacing the spring. He told me about a dodge pickup my uncle had years ago that had some kind of issue. He said the dealer fought tooth and nail to get out of fixing it and finally he got fed up and called Dodge. After hearing about the issue, Dodge scheduled an appointment to have the issue taken care of for him and picked up the tab. I'm thinking before I take the car in again that I'll call Volvo, hopefully to have the same results.

So far though, I've been vastly unimpressed with Clayton Volvo in Knoxville, TN, Phillips Volvo in Hampton and the one in Virginia Beach, VA, and the purchasing dealership Nalley Volvo in Marietta, GA. It seems that after I bought the car they had no interest in me. I never even got a follow up call or postcard in the mail to ask how I was liking the car. My last car was a 740 Wagon, but that doesnt mean that my next car can't be an Acura or some other vehicle.

#48 ·
Re: (S40 Driver)

My pedal hasen't started to squeek yet. Just a slight stickyness.

However I found the best lub for this type of problem is White Grease in a spray can. It comes out as a very thin liquid that soaks in to small areas then the solvent evaporates and it leaves a thicker grease behind. It last much longer then WD40 and silicon spray. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#49 ·
Re: (VictorVDC)

In my case lubing never solved the problem for good, it always came back after 3-6 weeks. But now the new spring still works and it has been quite hot here.

The dealer seems to be slightly insane to replace the master cylinder without trying the cheap spring first...

#50 ·
Re: (FinnSpeed)

I found another solution. Get rid of the helper (reverse) and return (forward) springs. As far as I can tell they mostly cancel themselves out.

With both gone the clutch needs a bit more foot pressure but it feels lighter because it has less static and dynamic friction.

The two act against each other and apply a lot of pressure to the clutch pivot points which gives the clutch a more sticky heavy feel. Also promotes noise.

It is a bit of a tricky job so don't do it unless you fancy yourself as at least a amateur mechanic and are willing to climb under your dash. You will also need to figure out how to add very light return spring between the clutch pedal and kick pan to take up the now very loose free play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.